The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm planning on sending my application tomorrow, but I'm still unsure about my choices, so help me out :biggrin:

GCSEs: 1A* 3A 4B 3C
A-levels: ABBC excluding G.S. --- resitter predictions are AAAA
UKCAT 597.5
excellent WE

Choices; Keele, Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Leeds/HYMS/Soton

Are these uni choices fine? I'm struggling with the fourth uni and Im not even sure about Aberdeen.
I know my grades are quite low compared to other applicants, but I have a good reason for it.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Yeh those choices seem fine for you application. Just check about what leeds are for the UKCAT, Im not sure if there is a cut off or not. (I'm sure someone on here will know). HYMS might be a good choice or soton.
Good luck xxx
Reply 581
indie_couture
Yeh those choices seem fine for you application. Just check about what leeds are for the UKCAT, Im not sure if there is a cut off or not. (I'm sure someone on here will know). HYMS might be a good choice or soton.
Good luck xxx

Thanks :smile:. For leeds they say that higher scores will be taken into account at later stage, so im not sure... Just saw thas soton use cut-off score and I doubt that it's lower than 600 :s-smilie:. So it's between leeds and hyms... I'll call them up tomorrow and ask couple of questions to help me decide.

Thanks. :biggrin:
I am really confused about medicine with UCL, is their institute's Deadline

31st Sept or 15th of Oct ???
I am really confused about medicine with UCL, is their institute's Deadline

31st Sept or 15th of Oct ???
15th of October!
UCL also require BMAT
Reply 585
-Delete please-
Reply 586
Thanks for the reply Sanjetti :smile:. I emailed Manchester and they said
"I am sorry but we do not have a defined cut-off score for UKCAT. It is used to determine our interview numbers from the applicants who meet our academic and non-academic sift".
D'you kno wa Nottingham is like with the UKCAT? N also I got rejected by Bristol last year after interview so would be a bad idea re-applyin there even tho they said they wud consider my application afresh. thanks :biggrin: xx
AS you'll all know, the UCAS deadline is tomorrow. And for a while I had the 4 unis I wanted to apply to, but as I done a lot of research into different universities/ city guides on the area and such I only have 3 unis which I'd like to go to.

These are UEA, Keele and Southampton. I previously had Kings/St. georges / nottingham but I've now ruled them out due to the area. And as I'll be there for 5 years, this is REALLY important. London lifestyle doesn't tickle my fancy and the crime rate in nottingham has really put me off.

So for my 4th choice I'm stuck between Peninsula medical school, leicster ( But have been told it's a dump), nottingham despite the crime and lancaster ( Which is really far up north, don't really want to go up north (further than keele))

Any recomendations and info on these unis or other unis will be greatly appreicaited!! :woo: :eek3:

Thanks in advance.
MasterJomi
leicster ( But have been told it's a dump),

the city itself is a dump, well some of it is nice
but univeristy itself is alright :smile:
fionaflowers
the city itself is a dump, well some of it is nice
but univeristy itself is alright :smile:

True, same with the other unis probably being good but I'm more worried about actually enjoying living in that city and not just the course.
Reply 590
Whattt? UCAS deadlines tomorrow?? I haven't even done my work exp for my PS....
omg you scared me =| I thought the medicine/oxbridge deadline went ages ago and I thought you was on about all the other applications. sorry :colondollar:
MasterJomi
AS you'll all know, the UCAS deadline is tomorrow. And for a while I had the 4 unis I wanted to apply to, but as I done a lot of research into different universities/ city guides on the area and such I only have 3 unis which I'd like to go to.

These are UEA, Keele and Southampton. I previously had Kings/St. georges / nottingham but I've now ruled them out due to the area. And as I'll be there for 5 years, this is REALLY important. London lifestyle doesn't tickle my fancy and the crime rate in nottingham has really put me off.

So for my 4th choice I'm stuck between Peninsula medical school, leicster ( But have been told it's a dump), nottingham despite the crime and lancaster ( Which is really far up north, don't really want to go up north (further than keele))

Any recomendations and info on these unis or other unis will be greatly appreicaited!! :woo: :eek3:

Thanks in advance.

Have you not considered any unis further north? Like Edinburgh and Aberdeen, for example. Both are good for medicine.
x-pri-x
Whattt? UCAS deadlines tomorrow?? I haven't even done my work exp for my PS....
omg you scared me =| I thought the medicine/oxbridge deadline went ages ago and I thought you was on about all the other applications. sorry :colondollar:

Hehe lol. I've got work experience lined up in november, not going to be able to add it to my PS :frown:

I'll just have to mention it at interview.. If I get one.
Leicester's lovely I think. It used to be a bit of a dump, but it's been regenerate a lot as of late. Plus, there's lots of green space, which I like. It has it's dodgy areas, but everywhere does, and as part of the uni, you're not likely to be going to those areas.

The campus is great, the library is amazing, and the union (once refurb is finished) will be pretty special.
Reply 594
MasterJomi
leicster ( But have been told it's a dump)

I live about 25 minutes away from Leicester and I really like it. The city is nice and the uni when I went to the open day was also nice. The medical building wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing building but overall was very nice.

Some nice Leicester accommodation: Oadby Campus

A nice place to spend time whilst in Leicester: highcross

also they have a refurbed library, high in student satisfaction very often, great course, many more reasons so although you've heard one side of the story there are many good things about Leicester.
moonshine_1991
Have you not considered any unis further north? Like Edinburgh and Aberdeen, for example. Both are good for medicine.

Not up for hgoing to scotland... :s-smilie:
MasterJomi
Not up for hgoing to scotland... :s-smilie:

What is wrong with Scotland :eek: . Some pretty good unis for medicine up here.
moonshine_1991
What is wrong with Scotland :eek: . Some pretty good unis for medicine up here.

Too far from home, and want to stay in England.
Reply 598
Hi!

Wa d'you think my chances are of gettin into Bristol with AABB at A level inc A in chemistry, 5 A*'s and 9 A's at GCSE, a good perosnal statement and reference and good work exp. Bear in mind I had an interview with them last year but they said if I re-applied my application would be considered afresh. Please reply xx
Is anyone from England applying to Scotland for medicine?
I actually didn't think about the long distance from home when I was applying to Aberdeen. But IF I get a place I would still take it, it's just 5 years and then I could move back if I wanted to:smile:

Edit: DO unis in Scotland favour Scottish students over EU/UK students?

Latest

Trending

Trending