The Student Room Group
Original post by GANFYD
Bristol select solely on UKCAT this year and have indicated that a score around 665 would have been successful last year. As you point out, UKCAT heavy unis are probably not for you
Liverpool are hard to call, as they have also chaged their selection criteria this year and cut out the PS assessment stage, effectively becoming a UKCAT heavy uni. Past cut offs have been 615, 640, 620 but that may well increase now people with stronger UKCAT scores are more likely to apply. They are however interviewing more applicants
Your UKCAT would not make Manchester's standard cut off, so I assume you are considering their holistic route? Last year was the first year this was used, so I am unsure what criteria would make you competitive
What is your score at Leicester? Cut off was in the 53.5s last year

You could look at Keele (if you think you could get A*AA), Plymouth (ditto), Sunderland, St Andrews, ARU, Aston

Thank you for the wonderful advise it has saved a lot of hassle, after lots of stress I've decided that I'm going to apply to Liverpool, UEA, ARU and maybe Leicester. However, I'm debating between Leicester and Aston. But I'm really considering having a gap year to cram in lots of volunteering and ace the UKCAT.
Original post by esmedavison
Thank you for the wonderful advise it has saved a lot of hassle, after lots of stress I've decided that I'm going to apply to Liverpool, UEA, ARU and maybe Leicester. However, I'm debating between Leicester and Aston. But I'm really considering having a gap year to cram in lots of volunteering and ace the UKCAT.

It may be worth applying this year as you will get experience of the procedures, hopefully interviews and you only need 1 offer (well, and the grades, but thay should be the easy bit!)
In terms of Leicester or Aston, not sure what your score is for Leicester, but I would have thought Aston was the better option.
Good luck
I do not have the predicted grades for direct entry to medicine so I was wondering if it is easier to get into medicine via deferred entry i.e take a gap year then start the course. Is it just as hard?
I plan on doing a lot of volunteering and work in clinical settings to boost my current personal statement.
My question is, with all the extra work I will have done, will it be easier to get into Medicine after a gap year? I want to go to either Queen Mary University or Imperial.
But I wouldn't mind going to any university in England.

p.s Gap year is basically my only option, as I do not meet the grade requirements. If you have any ideas for other routes into medicine it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I am applying for Medicine for 2019 entry.
My stats are:
GCSEs: 7A*s 4As
Predicted A-Levels: A*A*A
UKCAT: 625 and Band 2 SJT :/
What universities do i have high chances of getting into and which ones should i definitely avoid?
Although I am a aspiring solicitor, I am aware of the fab medical schools in the UK and I know that the following three are amazing - Oxford, Cambridge and Newcastle.
Your predicted grades are outstanding therefore I wouldn’t settle for any University.
If you google the best UK medicine degrees, it will bring up the best and the worst ones in the country so that might be worth doing?
Scottish student applying for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. Ukcat is2610 and all As in nat 5s, higher and advanced highers, does anyone know how likely chances for interviews are with these scores?
Original post by Hello482948
Scottish student applying for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. Ukcat is2610 and all As in nat 5s, higher and advanced highers, does anyone know how likely chances for interviews are with these scores?

If the cut off for EU is the same as Scottish for Glasgow then you wouldn't have made it last year but with the deciles being down you might have a shot.
You should be ok for Aberdeen and Dundee.
Not sure about Edinburgh, whats your SJT?
Original post by arigziegler
If the cut off for EU is the same as Scottish for Glasgow then you wouldn't have made it last year but with the deciles being down you might have a shot.

Quite risky biscuits for Glasgow still imho.

Does it mean that I as an EU applicant with my stats IB predict. 39, HL7,6 at Bio and Chem. respectively and averg.UKCAT 645 (580,700,710,590 STJ Band 3) (at 66th percentile ) without a chance?
Reply 9989
Original post by mamtat
Does it mean that I as an EU applicant with my stats IB predict. 39, HL7,6 at Bio and Chem. respectively and averg.UKCAT 645 (580,700,710,590 STJ Band 3) (at 66th percentile ) without a chance?

Ukcat heavy unis like Edin would be a long shot for you but im not sure about Glasgow
Original post by JLJY
Ukcat heavy unis like Edin would be a long shot for you but im not sure about Glasgow

Thank you very much. Glasgow is my dream and am going to apply. Fingers crosss...
Reply 9991
Original post by mamtat
Thank you very much. Glasgow is my dream and am going to apply. Fingers crosss...

Yea go for it! You never know until you try. But try to put at least 1-2 unis that dont focus solely on ukcat
Hey i have a 765 UKCAT
And A*AA achieved in bio , maths, physics respectively

Im thinking Manchester, Newcastle and UEA( consider 50/50 UKCAT and interview score when making an offer apparently)

SOMEONE whats my best chance for my last choice for an offer, was thinking plymouth?
Thanksss
Reply 9993
Original post by radiatorman
Hey i have a 765 UKCAT
And A*AA achieved in bio , maths, physics respectively

Im thinking Manchester, Newcastle and UEA( consider 50/50 UKCAT and interview score when making an offer apparently)

SOMEONE whats my best chance for my last choice for an offer, was thinking plymouth?
Thanksss

Yea those are definitely solid choices and you would almost definitely get interviews for all 4 if your SJT is ok.
Original post by HZ.CEO
I do not have the predicted grades for direct entry to medicine so I was wondering if it is easier to get into medicine via deferred entry i.e take a gap year then start the course. Is it just as hard?
I plan on doing a lot of volunteering and work in clinical settings to boost my current personal statement.
My question is, with all the extra work I will have done, will it be easier to get into Medicine after a gap year? I want to go to either Queen Mary University or Imperial.
But I wouldn't mind going to any university in England.

p.s Gap year is basically my only option, as I do not meet the grade requirements. If you have any ideas for other routes into medicine it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lots of gap year students get into medicine after a year out as long as they get the required grades. It's not any easier but a lot of people achieve it. Arguably, you may do better at interviews because you're a year older, and have more life experience.
Original post by Hollybm
Have a look at LIverpool as they treat A* and A at GCSE the same and UKCat lower this year???

Last year's cut off for Liverpool was 20 points below upper 4th decile. The equivalent this year would be 2400 - this applicant has 2330.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello,
I am stuck for my 4th choice and would appreciate someone else’s insight. My UKCAT is 640/2560 which is in the 63rd percentile. I am considering either Plymouth or Liverpool for my 4th choice. I know that Plymouth is a better option since I meet all of their required criteria and that Liverpool s a risk as they rank now, and no one knows what the lowest score will be. I just want an opinion on this, will it be okay to risk Liverpool as they are interviewing more, the percentiles have dropped this year etc. Btw I’m only considering Liverpool because I want to go there for many reasons. @GANFYD
Thank you in advance.

Thanks for your advice, my SJT is a band 1
Original post by Khalifa Ali
Hello,
I am stuck for my 4th choice and would appreciate someone else’s insight. My UKCAT is 640/2560 which is in the 63rd percentile. I am considering either Plymouth or Liverpool for my 4th choice. I know that Plymouth is a better option since I meet all of their required criteria and that Liverpool s a risk as they rank now, and no one knows what the lowest score will be. I just want an opinion on this, will it be okay to risk Liverpool as they are interviewing more, the percentiles have dropped this year etc. Btw I’m only considering Liverpool because I want to go there for many reasons. @GANFYD
Thank you in advance.

As you have said Plymouth is the safest, but my instinct is that Liverpool will be ok with the additional interviews they're doing. Cut off was 615 last year - in the previous year when it was 640 they went into clearing so maybe miscalculated. There are more candidates nationally this year and Liverpool have dropped the PS from formal assessment, which may mean more people applying, but I think you have a good chance.
Is there a prize for the 10,000th post on the thread?

Latest

Trending

Trending