The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Once again they are trying to treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

How about we try to prevent pedos/rapists from ever doing it in the first place, rather than increasing an arbitrary punishment instead. If anything, all these kinds of laws do is encourage a "the reason you shouldn't do xx is because you might get caught" mentality, rather than a "the reason you shouldn't do xx is because it is bad/wrong/etc" one.

I'll use drugs as an example - in countries such as the Netherlands, where weed is legal, they also have lower rates of usage than in some European countries where it IS illegal. This is probably due to it not being seen as "desirable" when you tell people it's not some forbidden fruit. Also, in general, cannabis-legalised countries also have much better drug-education and precautionary measures than others, who once again still tout the old "don't do it because it is bad!" line.

Oh, and before someone replies to this saying I want to legalise rape/paedophilia, no. I'm just using drugs as an example of where stricter punishments don't always reduce the crime rates, but education and rehabilitation do.
Bobo1234
No, but we should abolish idiotic laws like this one. That's one of the principal arguments against capital punishment- it's irreversible and completely inexcusible to go "Oh...well we thought he was guilty, so we killed him/chopped his balls off/lowered his sex drive/turned him into frogspawn with a laserbeam" or whatever.

Thank you. This :smile:

Also "turned him into frogspawn with a laserbeam" :rofl: Please run for government :biggrin:
Good on Poland.
This is the one piece of judgement that is very badly thought. If raping were caused by a normal/high sex drive, then a much higher percentage of the population would rape. There are infinite other ways of releasing sexual tension. Sex drive is not a sufficient condition to cause rape. Therefore I oppose the policy.
I'm not sure I like this. On the one hand, castrating paedophiles who represent a genuine danger to children is a great idea. However, I'm worried about the 'slippery slope' this could go down, i.e. marginal cases of consensual sex where young teens are involved.

I hope to god that these measures are not introduced as mandatory punishments, and are instead applied with a serious amount of discretion.
Reply 45
Jelephant
How exactly do you "justify paedophilia" anyway?

We're at the same uni! :biggrin:
Reply 46
Xerophelistica
Once again they are trying to treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

How about we try to prevent pedos/rapists from ever doing it in the first place, rather than increasing an arbitrary punishment instead. If anything, all these kinds of laws do is encourage a "the reason you shouldn't do xx is because you might get caught" mentality, rather than a "the reason you shouldn't do xx is because it is bad/wrong/etc" one.

I'll use drugs as an example - in countries such as the Netherlands, where weed is legal they also have lower rates of usage than in some European countries where it IS illegal. This is probably due to it not being seen as "desirable" when you tell people it's not some forbidden fruit. Also, in general, cannabis-legalised countries also have much better drug-education and precautionary measures than others, who once again still tout the old "don't do it because it is bad!" line.

Oh, and before someone replies to this saying I want to legalise rape/paedophilia, no. I'm just using drugs as an example of where stricter punishments don't always reduce the crime rates, but education and rehabilitation do.

Weed isn't legal anywhere.

In the netherlands they tolerate it, but it isn't legal.

They tolerate it in the coffee shops and private residencies but if you smoke it anywhere else the police will arrest you for it, its their way of controlling weed by letting people smoke it in certain places, however as i have said it is still illegal by dutch law.
Flying Cookie
This is the one piece of judgement that is very badly thought. If raping were caused by a normal/high sex drive, then a much higher percentage of the population would rape. There are infinite other ways of releasing sexual tension. Sex drive is not a sufficient condition to cause rape. Therefore I oppose the policy.

EXACTLY. Thank you.

No one rapes solely because of his sex drive. There are other issues involved which will not be resolved by castrating the individual... But judging by the number of people who support this policy, it is no wonder how people end up raping women/children :s-smilie:. Sick society = sick individuals.

Edit: Ok what did I say to receive a neg rep? that you are sick for wanting to castrate people? yeah you are. Neg rep me again.
I say we should just give them all labotomies.
Libtolu
Weed isn't legal anywhere.

In the netherlands they tolerate it, but it isn't legal.

They tolerate it in the coffee shops and private residencies but if you smoke it anywhere else the police will arrest you for it, its their way of controlling weed by letting people smoke it in certain places, however as i have said it is still illegal by dutch law.

Meh, I think you're being needlessly pedantic. If I can go to their country, walk into a shop, buy weed that they have manufactured, and then smoke it indoors (which also reminds me that we can't even smoke tobacco indoors in this country), then I consider to it be widely available enough for my point to still stand.
Reply 50
35mm_

People can change.

Yes, into older people. So instead of a young rapist, you just end up with an old rapist. Sex offenders can't and won't change of their own volition, to say that they are sick would be about as accurate a description you can get. Personally I'd just cut the sickness out entirely, but I'd settle for locking them all up together on an old rusty oil rig in the North Sea and then accidentally have an old WWII mine sink the thing...
Reply 51
Bobo1234
Wow you've obviously done a lot of research into capital punishment haven't you? Not...

Quite obviously a lot more than the research that you have done on sex offenders...
Giving forms of drugs to people even if they dont WANT to? I know they're bad people and all that but I dont think anyone should be forced to take drug things or whatever it is..
Stomm
Quite obviously a lot more than the research that you have done on sex offenders...

I know enough to be able to say that bringing capital punishment back is not likely to do more than make a small dent in the number of sex offenders. It's the same with murderers and burglars etc as well- if you look at a proper study of capital punishment in america for instance, you'll find that in 2001 the average murder rate for the 38 states with capital punishment was 5.2 murders per 100,000 people. The average murder rate for the 13 states without capital punishment was 5.9. Not exactly a huge difference when you think about it.

Just face it, it doesn't matter how much you detest criminals, capital punishment is not a good enough deterrent.
Xerophelistica
Meh, I think you're being needlessly pedantic. If I can go to their country, walk into a shop, buy weed that they have manufactured, and then smoke it indoors (which also reminds me that we can't even smoke tobacco indoors in this country), then I consider to it be widely available enough for my point to still stand.

Ummm...yes you can, just not in a public building- which is perfectly acceptable, I'd rather not breathe your smoke.
Reply 55
Are they sure that it's sex drive that is causing them to offend? I thought paedophilia was some kind of mental condition - surely something could be done to cure that instead?
Do you people realise that this isn't permanent? If the man is found to have been wrongly convicted then they won't need to take the drugs anymore.

This is a good policy that could well lower the number of sexual crimes. It seems more people have empathy for the pedophiles than the victims.
Reply 57
Tefhel
Are they sure that it's sex drive that is causing them to offend? I thought paedophilia was some kind of mental condition - surely something could be done to cure that instead?

They used to attempt to cure gays too. It didn't work. We can call it a mental condition, but that doesn't mean it can be 'cured'.
Reply 58
Psyk
They used to attempt to cure gays too. It didn't work. We can call it a mental condition, but that doesn't mean it can be 'cured'.

I'll cure the gay right out of ya so's i will.
Flying Cookie

You misinterpreted the reason for putting the policy in place.

While it's true that a normal or high sex drive does not cause people to rape, don't you agree that a person who is mentally predisposed to paedophilia and rape would commit fewer crimes if his sex drive was decreased?

The correlation isn't between sex drive and sexual offence, it's between the sex drive of sexual offenders and future sexual offence.

Latest

Trending

Trending