The Student Room Group

freshers: societies etc

I really want to join a society but I also want to join a sports team and an activity group (eg st john's ambulance).
How many 'extra - currics' are a reasonable amount at uni? I want to join all three but don't want to jeopardise my academic work *geek moment* so yeah, any one else who has joined quite a few clubs? Did you cope okay?

Reply 1
Well considering the number of things I want to do, I think you'll be fine with those!
I had 2-3 activities throughout my degree and it was fine in terms of time but I wouldn't take on any more than that.
Reply 3
I think three things will be fine, the societies/clubs I've joined are pretty flexible in that if you have a heavy workload one week you can take a week or two off but I suppose it depends what you want to join as they may require attendance each week (e.g. if you want to join the uni football team rather than a more casual sport)
im doing 2 and it seems manageable and doesnt clash with my timetable atm
Reply 5
I think I was a member of at least 5 societies while I was in my first year (uni newspaper, creative writing society, french society, choral soc, LitSoc, a capella choir...and probably loads that I've forgotten!). Never had a problem and attained a 68 in my first year (don't think I could have achieved any higher as I was on joint honours and it's more like 75/75 rather than 50/50 of each subject). I am scarily organised though :o:
Reply 6
bah I'm doing 3 but 1 seems to clash with my timetable on a certain day :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending