The Student Room Group

Do I have to stay in uni accom for freshers?

Due to my parents schedule I have to collect my uni keys early the weekend before freshers. Could I just drop off my stuff at my uni accommodation but then go home then come back on the 23rd as my course starts on the 25th? I would like to send a few more days at home before I move into uni just wondering if I take my stuff there that means I have to stay there straight away
Reply 1
Original post by laila.04
Due to my parents schedule I have to collect my uni keys early the weekend before freshers. Could I just drop off my stuff at my uni accommodation but then go home then come back on the 23rd as my course starts on the 25th? I would like to send a few more days at home before I move into uni just wondering if I take my stuff there that means I have to stay there straight away

Have you got permission to collect the keys early? Why would you miss Freshers - you probably need to enrol that week.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Have you got permission to collect the keys early? Why would you miss Freshers - you probably need to enrol that week.

I have to collect my key but my actual lesson deosnt start till the 25th and I’m collecting my keys on the 17th. Would I be allowed to just drop off my things but not move in yet
Reply 3
I have to collect my key but my actual lesson deosnt start till the 25th and I’m collecting my keys on the 17th. Would I be allowed to just drop off my things but not move in yet

Each university works differently, so it would be worth contacting your accommodation office/dept. You might have to finish enrolling, or have some orienteering round campus, attend consent talks etc, so its best to check with them.
Depends on when you say your freshers start. If your course starts the 25th, then wouldnt freshers week start on the 17th/18th?

It's not ideal unless freshers starts on the 25th which is what I suspect you mean so your talking about dumping your stuff early and then moving in unpacking and stuff on the move in Saturday with lots of other people that would be perfectly fine and actually what I'd recommend. it's not a prison you know you can come and go as you please.

Not sure why you want to miss Freshers…

Hey there @laila.04 !

If you have permission to collect your keys early then I don't see why not. I will say if you miss freshers week, you'll miss the societies and sports societies fairs and a lot of opportunities to meet people. You'll end up missing the welcome sessions for your course which is a great chance to go and meet your coursemates and start making friends. Once you've collected the keys they are yours though, there's no obligation to stay there.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 7

You are missing out on meeting flatmates and the Freshers fair and possible enrolment and introductory sessions. No-one is compelled to go clubbing or get drunk in Freshers but the social aspects of meeting people are important.
Is freshers week different from welcome week because all my course inductions and society fairs start on the 25th
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Is freshers week different from welcome week because all my course inductions and society fairs start on the 25th

Different names for the same thing, but different unis will have different start dates anyway - your freshers week (or equivalent) may start on the 25th, but other unis may start theirs on the 18th or some other date.

Hi there, yes if you have gotten permission to collect your keys early then that is fine. :smile:)

If you would like to spend a few more days at home, it is okay to leave your stuff at your accommodation and return home. There is no pressure to stay for fresher's week. (There is no requirement to be on campus at any time, and you can return home during the term if you ever need to. You are given a lot of freedom during University after all. )

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

For this it would be best to contact your accommodation supplier as it changes with regards to each university.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending