The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Shadowplay
Maybe you should read my comment twice. :wink:

Samantha Geimer, the girl whom Polanski ALLEGEDLY raped at the age of 13 and who is now in her mid-40s, has called on the authorities to dismiss the charges against him.

So..if she was 18 when this happened to her then she could have chosen not to go to the police or changed her testimony and the charges against Polanski would have been dropped instantly (she may be charged for making a false statement to the police etc)

BUT SHE WAS 13. The law must protect the vulnerable. If they have enough physical evidence, they don't even need her testimony/ approval to go on with the trial. But if she was 18, then her testimony is required to prove intent, i.e. that an act of non-consensual sex in fact took place = rape.
Shadowplay
Free Roman Polanski! I mean, his wife was killed when 9 months pregnant by the Charles Manson family, who wouldn't lose it after that? :rolleyes: Besides, he's one of the best European directors.

Oh well in that case he can drug and **** any child he wants :rolleyes:
And you all know he raped her how? She probably sued him because of the money, because no rape victim would ever call on the authorities to dismiss charges :wink:
Reply 43
Shadowplay
And you all know he raped her how? She probably sued him because of the money, because no rape victim would ever call on the authorities to dismiss charges :wink:

She didn't sue him because she cannot do it for rape!

How do you know he didn't rape her? Charges would not have been laid if there wasn't enough evidence to persecute him. It is how the system works!
I think the actual thing was a little less black and white than everyone's making it out to be. Its been 30 years, the guy is clearly not a paedophile, the alleged victim doesn't even give a **** anymore. Bringing this guy to "justice" would achieve absolutely nothing
Reply 45
bete noire
I think the actual thing was a little less black and white than everyone's making it out to be. Its been 30 years, the guy is clearly not a paedophile, the alleged victim doesn't even give a **** anymore. Bringing this guy to "justice" would achieve absolutely nothing

Justice for the sake of justice is not enough for you?

What example does that set for other pedophiles and would be pedophiles?
Reply 46
UGeNe

Do you want justice for its own sake, or to 'set an example'? They are two different things.
Reply 47
L i b
Do you want justice for its own sake, or to 'set an example'? They are two different things.

That's why I asked 2 questions. I want to know what the guy wants.
Reply 48
bete noire

And if it were your daughter?
UGeNe

Meh, really, meh. If you want to get het up and angry about this "issue" its your prerogative really, I I'd be hard pressed to care any less, you know?

Personally I'm gonna put it out there and say that this girl was probably one of the sorts who though young in years was mature enough to know what she was doing hanging out, taking pictures and doing drugs with an older big shot director in Paris.

I've seen the sort before.
Reply 50
bete noire
Meh, really, meh. If you want to get het up and angry about this "issue" its your prerogative really, I I'd be hard pressed to care any less, you know?

Personally I'm gonna put it out there and say that this girl was probably one of the sorts who though young in years was mature enough to know what she was doing hanging out, taking pictures and doing drugs with an older big shot director in Paris.

She was a model. I guess all models are like that. This one just started young.
Fusion
And if it were your daughter?

I wouldn't let my daughter hang out with older men in the first place, wasn't it the girl's mother who introduced the two?

Anyway, fact of the matter is, it ain't my daughter, the girl in question is now old enough to be my mother and as far as we're all aware hasn't suffered any damage and doesn't care any more.

Heck, I'd say she even made quite a pretty penny offa this whole thing, which kinda makes you think whether it was really rape at all. Who is to say, she didn't know exactly what she was doing when she started spending time with this man, regardless of what the law says, who is to say she didn't genuinely give her consent to knock boots with the guy.

Then when her and her mother narc'd on him when they figured how much $$$$ they could make off of the story.

I don't think she looks like a gal whose life has been ravaged by rape. She's been peddling the story every since it happened, get real a little.
He admitted to the crime but on the basis that the charges that he raped her and drugged her were dropped. I think the judge was going to be leniant until he skipped town.

Either way he admitted to a serious crime and then turned tail and ran. They should extradite him and lock him up.

Who he is and what he does doesn't matter. What he has done since doesn't matter.
I think he should be extradited and sentenced in the USA.
He committted and admitted to a serious crime and then cowardly run away.

He deserves a prison sentence.
Paedo = Jail Time
UGeNe
You also bargain if you are quite certain you will lose. All evidence points at you even though you are innocent. For example, too much circumstantial evidence and a shaky alibi. A smart lawyer would suggest this to his/her client.

Guilt or innocent is determined by the jury/judge.

Guilty verdict will always mean a harsher sentence.

not in rape there is a like 5% conviction rate. if you are guilty you are damn well completely guilty. you forget in this case if they have evidence he slept with her, consensual or not he has committed the crime. he would only plea bargain if there was physical evidence that he did engage in sexual conduct with her. otherwise its just word against word and he wins....
bete noire
I wouldn't let my daughter hang out with older men in the first place, wasn't it the girl's mother who introduced the two?

Anyway, fact of the matter is, it ain't my daughter, the girl in question is now old enough to be my mother and as far as we're all aware hasn't suffered any damage and doesn't care any more.

Heck, I'd say she even made quite a pretty penny offa this whole thing, which kinda makes you think whether it was really rape at all. Who is to say, she didn't know exactly what she was doing when she started spending time with this man, regardless of what the law says, who is to say she didn't genuinely give her consent to knock boots with the guy.

Then when her and her mother narc'd on him when they figured how much $$$$ they could make off of the story.

I don't think she looks like a gal whose life has been ravaged by rape. She's been peddling the story every since it happened, get real a little.

below the age of consent, therefore her consent is irrelevant! if its ok for a 13 year old to consent, why not a very grown up 12 year old??!?! etc etc!
bete noire

the crime is the same regardless of the victim! it doesnt matter if a girl goes out in clothes which scream "rape me" or if she goes out dressed as a nun, if shes a model or in the silver ring program. rape is rape. if you have sex with a 13 year old its rape by law.

the fact she isnt so bothered by it means nothing. the victims wishes in the criminal law are irrelevant. he commited a crime and should therefore be punished.

for example if two people agree to have a fight, it doesnt matter if neither wish to press charges, they will both be arrested and charged for affray or ABH depending on the severity despite their consent.
Reply 58
He supplied drugs and alcohol to a 13 year old and then proceeded to have sexual intercourse, his main line of defense was that she was sexually experienced.:s-smilie:

The fact is that he pled guilty and absconded while on bail awaiting sentencing. His an incredibly talented human being, but he broke the law and went onto evade justice.
Reply 59
I think everybody would think differently if it was their own child/ sister/ maybe themselves being raped. And I think it's disgusting that so many people support him. They surely wouldn't if it was their daughter that he raped! I wouldn't even want to talk to a person like that! Justice is the same for everybody and just because you won an oscar doesn't change that.

Latest

Trending

Trending