The Student Room Group
Reply 1
tom//
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8311075.stm

"The issues at stake are simple, but profound. They go to the heart of the efforts made to defend the security of the citizens of this country," he said.

that old chestnut

Why was he sent to Guantanamo bay in the first place? What did he do?
Reply 2
I think that at the beginning they should have made the torture documents public, instead of delaying and coming up with excuses.
Reply 3
Meagz
Why was he sent to Guantanamo bay in the first place? What did he do?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7906381.stm
Reply 4

'US authorities, however, said that while in Afghanistan Mr Mohamed fought on the front line against anti-Taleban Northern Alliance forces.'

It's a difficult one making an opinion on this. Either you detain him, ask him if he was fighting, he's going to reply no, and you release him - allowing him to possibly kill people by fighting against the anti-taliban forces.

Or, you obtain evidence through questionable means, but at least you know he's telling the truth.
Reply 5
Meagz
'US authorities, however, said that while in Afghanistan Mr Mohamed fought on the front line against anti-Taleban Northern Alliance forces.'

It's a difficult one making an opinion on this. Either you detain him, ask him if he was fighting, he's going to reply no, and you release him - allowing him to possibly kill people by fighting against the anti-taliban forces.

Or, you obtain evidence through questionable means, but at least you know he's telling the truth.

no the united states are just as bad as these people, instead of giving him a fair trial he was held in detention for 7 years

as far as i am concerned this man has done nothing, because he hasnt been found guilty in a court of law
Meagz

No. You don't. Torture is an terrible way of obtaining reliable evidence. People will end up telling you anything they think you want to hear, to get you to stop torturing them.

It is bad for intelligence purposes, and inadmissible in a court of law.
Reply 7
tom//
no the united states are just as bad as these people, instead of giving him a fair trial he was held in detention for 7 years

as far as i am concerned this man has done nothing, because he hasnt been found guilty in a court of law

But a court of law wouldn't have found out the truth. This man is dangerous by the sounds of it (although the BBC article makes it sound like he's done nothing wrong).

I dont agree with torture at all, but in this occasion, maybe it was the right thing to do :dontknow:
Reply 8
while it is disgraceful that the u.s. kept binyam muahmmad in guantanamo bay for years without trial, the man's reason for being in aghfanistan at the time of his capture is comical: he argues that he was in afghanistan for rehab. difficult to believe.
Reply 9
Meagz
But a court of law wouldn't have found out the truth. This man is dangerous by the sounds of it (although the BBC article makes it sound like he's done nothing wrong).

I dont agree with torture at all, but in this occasion, maybe it was the right thing to do :dontknow:

you cant trial someone and refuse to make the evidence public, that corrupts the whole legal system

Latest

Trending

Trending