The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im confused, what is a note taker?
danny111
im confused, what is a note taker?

A person that takes notes for disabled students for all manner of reasons.
Reply 22
Jennie1987
Theyre employed so there are timesheets etc. the student needs to do so they can prove they took notes.

Oh, and I assume it's the note taker that needs these? If thats the case then they should sit near the OP, for them to say "no" is insane.
Reply 23
An answer usually follows a question, if you're getting bullied it's because of how you communicate.

If they are harassing you talking normally to them will stop it.
Mann18
Oh, and I assume it's the note taker that needs these? If thats the case then they should sit near the OP, for them to say "no" is insane.

Thats why I told OP to talk to their Resource Centre as its out of order for the Note Taker not to be discreet or make it easier for the student if they want it to stay confidential and impact their life less.
Reply 25
Jennie1987
They work for the resource centre and effectively the student so they dont have the power and should be as discreet as poss.

I understood the OP to mean that the note taker has been told he has to sit at the front, presumably by the resource centre, as the OP said when he asked, the note taker said "no! annoying isnt it" and that he wanted to know how to "enable" his note taker to sit at the back not how to force them to. On the other hand, maybe the OP meant the note taker said "no!" and 'annoying isn't it' was a comment by the OP here and 'enable' was just a poor choice of word. Hard to tell due to the lack of punctuation. I'm guessing from your reply, you interpreted it differently (or know differently). In my defence if I misinterpreted, it would make sense for it to be a rule that note-takers have to sit at the front so they listen properly and don't get distracted.
Meliae
I understood the OP to mean that the note taker has been told he has to sit at the front, presumably by the resource centre, as the OP said when he asked, the note taker said "no! annoying isnt it" and that he wanted to know how to "enable" his note taker to sit at the back not how to force them to. On the other hand, maybe the OP meant the note taker said "no!" and 'annoying isn't it' was a comment by the OP here and 'enable' was just a poor choice of word. Hard to tell due to the lack of punctuation. I'm guessing from your reply, you interpreted it differently (or know differently). In my defence if I misinterpreted, it would make sense for it to be a rule that note-takers have to sit at the front so they listen properly and don't get distracted.

Note takers shouldnt get distracted anyway - its a lecture and their work so they shouldnt be chatting up the girl next to them or anything. They can sit anywhere but if the student requests they sit in the row infront, like I said, they should do it because the student says it will be easier for them. And the OP didnt say anything about the resource centre being the reason the note taker couldnt sit somewhere else, mainly OP has to talk to resource centre as he doesnt seem clued up on this stuff so it would be hard for replying TSRians to know.
Reply 27
Jennie1987
Note takers shouldnt get distracted anyway - its a lecture and their work so they shouldnt be chatting up the girl next to them or anything. They can sit anywhere but if the student requests they sit in the row infront, like I said, they should do it because the student says it will be easier for them. And the OP didnt say anything about the resource centre being the reason the note taker couldnt sit somewhere else, mainly OP has to talk to resource centre as he doesnt seem clued up on this stuff so it would be hard for replying TSRians to know.

He didn't say the resource centre, I said 'presumably the resource centre' because you said they employ note takers and the OP gave the impression the note taker had been instructed to sit at the front for the reasons I said. Surely if the note taker refuses to sit where is most convenient just because he doesn't want to, he could lose his job for that?
Reply 28
Mann18
Saying that you were special probably wasn't the best idea imo (it kinda sounds to me like you were joking around, especially when your friend said what he said too.) If it happens again, just tell them, or say "It's personal." Job done. I don't understand what you mean about the whole "giving stuff to your note taker" whats the point of giving them things? I thought they were taking the notes? You could just wait till the lecture is over and give them what you need to give them then, or arrive early and make sure you sit next to them.

I needed to give my cream coloured handouts to my note taker to highlight the important buts as its difficult for me to get the important bits. I have tried to ask to ask him if he can sit at the back with me but 1 row ahead and he always says no as we have discussions and its easier for him 2 write down the notes etc. But he always says no. I hope you now understand.
Why don't you just sit at the front? It's much easier to take notes sat at the front of a lecture as its easier to hear. Even in my very small lectures there were always people talking at the back. You don't have to sit right on the back row.
Reply 30
why do you need a note taker? (not being pendantic... but why? i want one)
Reply 31
Neo Con
What's wrong with someone asking you a question? I'm sure they didn't mean to embarass you. Lately I asked a woman I know in a wheelchair what adaptations she has at home and she got all arsey with me when I was expressing a genuine interest in her life.

Well really, it's none of their business (just like the adaptions the lady in the wheelchair has is none of your business - it's an invasive question). Some people are quite sensitive or just private people. When you come up to a stranger (with an obvious disability) and the first thing you start talking about is their disability then it does upset some and I think that's quite understanable. When a lecturer noticed my voice recorder and asked what it was (during his lecture in a room full of people) then that did embarass me. Quite a few people laughed/sniggered for some reason.

At the end of the day there's a great deal of ignorance around. I know some, only a handful, who don't think students with any disability deserve to be at university. Some staff aren't much better. These are just a few bad apples, of course, but even those more tolerant seem to resent support offered to students with disabilities.

That said, I'd rather someone asked me why I use a voice recorder instead of what some students do currently (stare at me then down at the recorder every two minutes during a lecture).

FadedJade
Why don't you just sit at the front? It's much easier to take notes sat at the front of a lecture as its easier to hear. Even in my very small lectures there were always people talking at the back. You don't have to sit right on the back row.

Sitting at the front, if the student is able to, possibly won't attract as much attention as there are usually fewer people there. Even then, you're in the direct view of all students. But there are students with significant mobility problems who may not be able to easily get to the front of the room and sit there. It's an option for some (although the notetakes is still usually required, of course).

this
why do you need a note taker? (not being pendantic... but why? i want one)

This is in the disabled students subforum, so that should give you the idea. I can't speak for the OP (who I don't know and whose reasons probably want to remain private anyway). But people can have significant reduced writing speed/difficulties with writing, problems with hearing and reduced concentration or a medical condition like epilepsy (which, if not controlled well and the student has frequent absence seizures, risks missing sections of the lecture).

The OP gets one through the Disabled Students Allowance (I would think). Unless you have a disability (and even then, a justifiable reason to have one) you'll have one suppied if you claim DSA and have a Needs Assessment. If not you can have one if you are able to find one (and willing to pay).
Reply 32
River85
The OP gets one through the Disabled Students Allowance (I would think). Unless you have a disability (and even then, a justifiable reason to have one) you'll have one suppied if you claim DSA and have a Needs Assessment. If not you can have one if you are able to find one (and willing to pay).

cheers
River85

:clap2: got a bit confusing at the end but still :clap2:
this
cheers

Why do you want one? Did you not realise it was in the Disabled Students section or are you disabled and just heard about it?
Reply 35
River85
Well really, it's none of their business (just like the adaptions the lady in the wheelchair has is none of your business - it's an invasive question). Some people are quite sensitive or just private people. When you come up to a stranger (with an obvious disability) and the first thing you start talking about is their disability then it does upset some and I think that's quite understanable. When a lecturer noticed my voice recorder and asked what it was (during his lecture in a room full of people) then that did embarass me. Quite a few people laughed/sniggered for some reason.

At the end of the day there's a great deal of ignorance around. I know some, only a handful, who don't think students with any disability deserve to be at university. Some staff aren't much better. These are just a few bad apples, of course, but even those more tolerant seem to resent support offered to students with disabilities.

That said, I'd rather someone asked me why I use a voice recorder instead of what some students do currently (stare at me then down at the recorder every two minutes during a lecture).

Thing is people with disabilities say that they are not treated as non-disabled people and people rather than ask about their disability tend to skirt around the issue and tread on eggshells, surely that is worse than just being my normal open self and asking questions? Plus with reference to the woman I asked the question to, I had known her for 7 weeks prior to asking the question yet she looked at me like I was a piece of filth, I understand she may be sensitive but it's not like I asked her anything truly intimate. Plus I was actually partaking in a course about disabled people at uni and she had already given her consent that it would be ok for me to grill her on all aspects of her disability yet the minute I opened my mouth she shot me down. Great attitude. Plus she's been in a wheelchair for 50 years now, surely she can't still be this sensitive about it? Jesus friggin christ. :rolleyes:
Possible the note taker has hearing difficulties so needs to sit closer to the lecturer?
Why do you need to sit at the back?
Holiday
I had to give my copy of cream paper document to my note taker to hightlight and mark off.

Here is a clue: Avoiding the question just makes people more suspicious
Reply 38
Why not just answer the question and sit at the front of the lecture theatre? :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Jennie1987
Theyre employed so there are timesheets etc. the student needs to do so they can prove they took notes.

In the middle of the lecture?? :lolwut: If it's at the end, I'm not sure why anyone would even notice the OP. In my lectures, people go to the front at the end to collect their dictaphones, to ask the lecturer a question, to sign in/get the handout if they came in late, to chat to their mates, to use the other exits...

Latest