The Student Room Group

Climbing Up The Academic Ladder - my GYG blog

I've always been a decent student. With 60-100s but mostly in the 75s-80s but lately I've been aiming high because I'm always in the top five or ten but never the top three. And I'm sure that there are plenty of people like this too. So I promised myself when I saw my ghastly half-term paper that I need to do better. And I've set out an intricate plan to grow my grades, so join me on my journey and let's all see if this works out.

When I'm not thinking about my academic pursuit, I enjoy attempting to crochet before giving up, making bracelets, self-care, running and spending time with friends.

Oh, and this is not the first time I'm going to mention this but,
I am an extrovert with a zero social life. 😥
I'm not one of those people who do swimming lessons and go out shopping with friends. I stay at home, read books, make crafts and go online to look enviously at what others are doing.

So that's about it.
@nul_student1 xx

Scroll to see replies

Willbe following ur journey! Such a bookworm myself and ohh crochet what hv u made recently
What year are u in? Wishing u the best with ur journey
Original post by ebyrne2036
Willbe following ur journey! Such a bookworm myself and ohh crochet what hv u made recently
What year are u in? Wishing u the best with ur journey
Year 10
Original post by nul_student1
I've always been a decent student. With 60-100s but mostly in the 75s-80s but lately I've been aiming high because I'm always in the top five or ten but never the top three. And I'm sure that there are plenty of people like this too. So I promised myself when I saw my ghastly half-term paper that I need to do better. And I've set out an intricate plan to grow my grades, so join me on my journey and let's all see if this works out.

When I'm not thinking about my academic pursuit, I enjoy attempting to crochet before giving up, making bracelets, self-care, running and spending time with friends.

I'm not one of those people who do swimming lessons and go out shopping with friends. I stay at home, read books, make crafts and go online to look enviously at what others are doing.

So that's about it.
@nul_student1 xx
That is so relatable, I'd say I'm more of an ambivert (seriously I can hang out with friends like twice a week max because my social battery dies out) but I love reading too! Excited to see you GYG! I have one myself if you want to check it out called Creating the future of our dreams, fancy name lol but I like yours better.

Was wondering - what gcses are you studing? I'm in y12 so happy to give advice if you want any

And tags of a bunch of people I can think of their usernames on top of my head
@Tatakae L @AspiringSurvivor @milktee @emm4nuella @kayleigh_t.27 @wkstudy @koolkhad @erin11
(edited 1 month ago)

So that's about it.
@nul_student1 xx
OMG hiya babe, welcome to gyg. You are a amazing student, nvm decent because even being in top 5 is such a win so be proud on that as it is. I hope your plan goes well because I wish well on everyone, becuase why the hell not right.

My gyg is Tatakae L's gyg journey if you would like to spy on my terrible yr 12 life.
Also thanks @study23! for tagging me love<333 Im just gonna tag a few others that would probably like to follow along too.
@halfharry @flowersinmyhair @agent_duck343 @heartz4moushi
Original post by study23!
That is so relatable, I'd say I'm more of an ambivert (seriously I can hang out with friends like twice a week max because my social battery dies out) but I love reading too! Excited to see you GYG! I have one myself if you want to check it out called Creating the future of our dreams, fancy name lol but I like yours better.

Was wondering - what gcses are you studing? I'm in y12 so happy to give advice if you want any

@Tatakae L @AspiringSurvivor @milktee @emm4nuella @kayleigh_t.27 @wkstudy @koolkhad @erin11
Thanks for tagging! Excited to follow your journey <3

So that's about it.
@nul_student1 xx
Welcome to the gyg community🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Here's my gyg:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7446909
Original post by study23!

thanks for tagging me, welcome to GYG and can't wait to watch your journey !!! <3

So that's about it.
@nul_student1 xx
Welcome aboard🤝🎉 !! Will be following your gyg journey :smile:
Reply 9

So that's about it.
@nul_student1 xx
WELCOMEE TO GYG, omg i find crocheting so cute, i don't do it myself but i really want to learn how to bcs i've seen my friends crocheted projects and they're adorableee. she literally has a little business in school for it since so many ppl ask her to crochet stuff for them. and alongside your bracelet making, you can literally start a tiny little business and earn some pocket money if you want haha, i would defo if i had the skills but sadly i don't 😔💔
being a stay at home extrovert is so real bcs enjoying the quietness of life is literally the most peaceful thing ever (speaking from an introverts point of view)
hoping the best for you and looking forward to your updates 🤍
thanks @study23! for the tag <3
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Tatakae L
OMG hiya babe, welcome to gyg. You are a amazing student, nvm decent because even being in top 5 is such a win so be proud on that as it is. I hope your plan goes well because I wish well on everyone, becuase why the hell not right.

My gyg is Tatakae L's gyg journey if you would like to spy on my terrible yr 12 life.
Also thanks @study23! for tagging me love<333 Im just gonna tag a few others that would probably like to follow along too.
@halfharry @flowersinmyhair @agent_duck343 @heartz4moushi
ive seen your gyg its so relatable <3
ive seen your gyg its so relatable <3
aww haha thank you, I shall take my tardiness and lack of motivation as a motivational thing bc I wanna show how horror I really am and then the weeks I try I am so proud of lmaoo
Saturday 2nd March 2024

Hey guys it's the WEEKEND. And guess who's decide to procrastinate and wait to do homework and copy notes till now? I have a LOT to do and I'm still here, reading other people's GYGs and posting in threads. 😪🤗😅

My To-Do List rn:

Research on the Breakout of COVID-19 😷 ahead for a historical fiction test in class and make small bullet point notes in a index card to refer to during the test (kinda like an open-book but open-index-card i guess 🤷*♀️)

History Homework on democracy and dictatorship 🥱

Complete my physics/business studies/chemistry notes and make them look more ✨aesthetic✨

Complete two pages worth of Biology questions 😫

Same task above but with Chemistry (my least favourite science) 😭

Start a Biology report on a plant that i currently don't have due to the lack of vegatation surrounding my house ☘🏵🌵

Revise for maths

This is obviously a lot so I split it into two categories

Homework:

History

Biology

Chemistry

Study/Revision:

index cards

editing notes

maths revision

I am going to imply ✨TIME-BLOCKING✨ to finish this.

Time blocking is a way you can manage your time where you plan how you'll spend each day, one 'block' at a time. You choose a task, plan how long it will take then add it to your calendar. When you add it to your calendar, you know you need to do at a specific time not in a to-do list where you want to do it but may never do. Don't to add every item on your to-do as a thing in your calendar, though. You don't want your calendar to feel overwhelming or so scheduled that a slight change in plan causes the entire thing to fall to pieces.

My time-blocking calendar. I am studying till 1:00PM (GMT)

One of my favourite calendar is Tweek Calendar Minimal To Do list and Weekly Task Planner App but it doesn't feature time that well so I made it from stratch.

I have already wasted 1hr 30 so I have 30mins left. I will study again in the evening so it can be managed.

12:30 - 12:45 - History Homework
12:45 - 1:00 : Geography Homework
Any extra time: Research on breakout of COVID

Now with the alarms set and study in 5 mins, I am ready. Some of the best things to do when avoiding procastination is to be brutally honest. I wasted 1hr 30 having a light snack and browsing on social media and The Student Room. With this, you can make plans and solve the problem.

That's me signing out - I will post again in the evening with my second study session about the results of this one and how i will solve this. See you later,
@nul_student1 (nul stands for no motivation)

References
Yang, A. B. (2023, November 7). 3 time blocking methods to boost productivity. Zapier. https://zapier.com/blog/time-blocking-method/
(edited 1 month ago)
Saturday 2nd March 2024

Hey guys it's the WEEKEND. And guess who's decide to procrastinate and wait to do homework and copy notes till now? I have a LOT to do and I'm still here, reading other people's GYGs and posting in threads. 😪🤗😅

My To-Do List rn:

Research on the Breakout of COVID-19 😷 ahead for a historical fiction test in class and make small bullet point notes in a index card to refer to during the test (kinda like an open-book but open-index-card i guess 🤷*♀️)

Complete my physics/business studies/chemistry notes and make them look more ✨aesthetic✨

Start a Biology report on a plant that i currently don't have due to the lack of vegatation surrounding my house ☘🏵🌵

Revise for maths

Homework:

History

Biology

Chemistry

Study/Revision:

index cards

editing notes

maths revision

Time blocking is a way you can manage your time where you plan how you'll spend each day, one 'block' at a time. You choose a task, plan how long it will take then add it to your calendar. When you add it to your calendar, you know you need to do at a specific time not in a to-do list where you want to do it but may never do. Don't to add every item on your to-do as a thing in your calendar, though. You don't want your calendar to feel overwhelming or so scheduled that a slight change in plan causes the entire thing to fall to pieces.

One of my favourite calendar is Tweek Calendar Minimal To Do list and Weekly Task Planner App but it doesn't feature time that well so I made it from stratch.

I have already wasted 1hr 30 so I have 30mins left. I will study again in the evening so it can be managed.

Now with the alarms set and study in 5 mins, I am ready. Some of the best things to do when avoiding procastination is to be brutally honest. I wasted 1hr 30 having a light snack and browsing on social media and The Student Room. With this, you can make plans and solve the problem.

That's me signing out - I will post again in the evening with my second study session about the results of this one and how i will solve this. See you later,

References
Yang, A. B. (2023, November 7). 3 time blocking methods to boost productivity. Zapier. Retrieved March 2, 2024, from https://zapier.com/blog/time-blocking-method/
omg that time blocking method sounds so efficient and interestinggg, defo going to try it one day 💪💪 i love how you literally wrote a whole advertisement for it haha, thank you for the detail!! best of luck for all your work today 🤍
Saturday 2nd March 2024

My To-Do List rn:

Revise for maths

Homework:

History

Biology

Chemistry

Study/Revision:

index cards

editing notes

maths revision

References
Yang, A. B. (2023, November 7). 3 time blocking methods to boost productivity. Zapier. Retrieved March 2, 2024, from https://zapier.com/blog/time-blocking-method/
Good luck! Thanks for the time blocking method sounds amazing for procrastinators like me. Also how fabulous is that referencing, if u were doing a research project u would get full marks on referencing
(edited 1 month ago)
I’m back and had some random burst of emotion so I managed to complete my bio and chem h/w.
i still have a lot to do like:

Revise for maths

but im on track. It’s 17:30 rn (GMT) so i have a lot to do so yeah. time to research on the breakout of covid like we didn’t live through the historical moment <3
covid started in 2020 so its crazy hm has happened since because its 2024 (4 years since covid started)
i like using NY Times as a source because they are straightforward and informative. The Coronavirus Pandemic: A Timeline - The New York Times (nytimes.com) - my article I’m looking at
in order to jot down important points, im looking for a bullet-point centred note-taking style.
Also, GoodNotes have a good article on note=taking you can check out here The Best Note-Taking Methods for College Students & Serious Note-takers | Goodnotes Blog
I’m creating my own timeline. I used PowerPoint to create it then save as a PDF.
To create a timeline on Powerpoint, change the layout to ‘Title Only’.

Which 20 minutes left, I can revise for maths.
I’m using Seneca mainly for topics
One thing I like about seneca is that there are so many exam boards and currciulumns to find. Like KS3, AQA, Eduqas, Common Entrance, CIE IGCSE (one of my exam boards) etc.

In Maths, I am learning about graphs with the gradient, midpoint, distance-time graphs, length of a line and these are topics with so MUCH FORMULASSS so last week, I made a formula cheat sheet to help me but I’ve learnt new topics but so I’m scheduling somewhere in my week to redo it on Canva.
But I’m also unsure about y and x-intercept because I may or may not have not heard that part… but aNyWaYs I watched a YouTube video on this.
One of best tips for students if you miss Maths/Science lessons is that COGNITO the YouTube channel is your best friend. It’s clear concise and actually is audible (sometimes unlike Khan Academy - no hate <3) and makes sense. They are lifesavers. They created a website as well but it lowkey seems like a seneca copycat but these are some mini tips.
Hint: I drop a lot sometimes :wink:
That’s about it so yeah,
@nul_student1

References:
The Best Note-Taking Methods for College Students & Serious Note-takers. (2023, August 31). goodnotes.com. Retrieved March 3, 2024, from https://www.goodnotes.com/blog/note-taking-methods
Bryson Taylor, D. (2021, March 17). The Coronavirus Pandemic: A Timeline - The New York Times. nytimes.com. Retrieved March 3, 2024, from https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-timeline.html
Here's the image of my timeline because somehow my updates weren't sending with this photo :frown: reason for the late update guys xx
Screenshot 2024-03-04 191045.jpg
I’m back and had some random burst of emotion so I managed to complete my bio and chem h/w.
i still have a lot to do like:

Revise for maths

but im on track. It’s 17:30 rn (GMT) so i have a lot to do so yeah. time to research on the breakout of covid like we didn’t live through the historical moment <3
covid started in 2020 so its crazy hm has happened since because its 2024 (4 years since covid started)
i like using NY Times as a source because they are straightforward and informative. The Coronavirus Pandemic: A Timeline - The New York Times (nytimes.com) - my article I’m looking at
in order to jot down important points, im looking for a bullet-point centred note-taking style.
Also, GoodNotes have a good article on note=taking you can check out here The Best Note-Taking Methods for College Students & Serious Note-takers | Goodnotes Blog
I’m creating my own timeline. I used PowerPoint to create it then save as a PDF.
To create a timeline on Powerpoint, change the layout to ‘Title Only’.

Which 20 minutes left, I can revise for maths.
I’m using Seneca mainly for topics
One thing I like about seneca is that there are so many exam boards and currciulumns to find. Like KS3, AQA, Eduqas, Common Entrance, CIE IGCSE (one of my exam boards) etc.

In Maths, I am learning about graphs with the gradient, midpoint, distance-time graphs, length of a line and these are topics with so MUCH FORMULASSS so last week, I made a formula cheat sheet to help me but I’ve learnt new topics but so I’m scheduling somewhere in my week to redo it on Canva.
But I’m also unsure about y and x-intercept because I may or may not have not heard that part… but aNyWaYs I watched a YouTube video on this.
One of best tips for students if you miss Maths/Science lessons is that COGNITO the YouTube channel is your best friend. It’s clear concise and actually is audible (sometimes unlike Khan Academy - no hate <3) and makes sense. They are lifesavers. They created a website as well but it lowkey seems like a seneca copycat but these are some mini tips.
Hint: I drop a lot sometimes :wink:
That’s about it so yeah,
@nul_student1

References:
The Best Note-Taking Methods for College Students & Serious Note-takers. (2023, August 31). goodnotes.com. Retrieved March 3, 2024, from https://www.goodnotes.com/blog/note-taking-methods
Bryson Taylor, D. (2021, March 17). The Coronavirus Pandemic: A Timeline - The New York Times. nytimes.com. Retrieved March 3, 2024, from https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-timeline.html
i find it ABSOLUTELY CRAZY how it's been 4 years since covid omg, like the fact that you're doing it for a HISTORICAL FICTION test is so strange considering we lived during covid times asw
i'm literally gna have so much fun telling my future grandchildren that we lived through a global pandemic and got to miss school for over 4 months 💪💪 (probs more icl)
Here's the image of my timeline because somehow my updates weren't sending with this photo :frown: reason for the late update guys xx
Screenshot 2024-03-04 191045.jpg
oooo making the timeline on powerpoint is really smart!! good luck with the rest of your work 🤍
Original post by milktee
i find it ABSOLUTELY CRAZY how it's been 4 years since covid omg, like the fact that you're doing it for a HISTORICAL FICTION test is so strange considering we lived during covid times asw
i'm literally gna have so much fun telling my future grandchildren that we lived through a global pandemic and got to miss school for over 4 months 💪💪 (probs more icl)
ikr i don't see what's HISTORICAL abt it but i guess what can i say? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending