The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm pretty sure that in England it's still mandatory for boys to have target practice with bows and arrows on a Sunday. It's just not actually enforced anymore.
Reply 21
Jennie1987
Are people you know generally up to speed on the funny, obscure, never used laws? I only heard that it was illegal (in Ireland I believe) to drive whilst talking into a microphone when Dara O'Briain said it in his stand-up routine.

With things like this there probably isn't an explicit law against it. There's probably a more general law against doing things that will distract you while driving, and it just so happened that there was once a person who was using a microphone while driving and got prosecuted for it, hence setting the precedent that microphones are covered by this law.
Psyk
With things like this there probably isn't an explicit law against it. There's probably a more general law against doing things that will distract you while driving, and it just so happened that there was once a person who was using a microphone while driving and got prosecuted for it, hence setting the precedent that microphones are covered by this law.

I was talking to the other person who was on about not knowing about the OPs original law from living in the state for 5 years. So yes I know the other one has been used, but that although I hadnt heard of it before it doesnt make it less likely it existed.
Original post by Liaxx
I'm pretty sure that in England it's still mandatory for boys to have target practice with bows and arrows on a Sunday. It's just not actually enforced anymore.

It iwasan act of treason not to practise archery on a sunday maybe it still is - that is why we had such good Long bowmen at the battles of cressy and qgincourt . The offensive v sign made with two fingers of the right hand with the back of the hand facing the antagonist indicated to the enemy (at the time french) that the bowstring fingers are still there - the french would amputate 1st and second fingers of the right hand of any captured bowmen to eliminate their usefulness in that role.

Latest

Trending

Trending