The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RBarack
Let's face it: you're not going to make it big with a 'media studies' degree from Bristol i.e. IB, consultancy, a top law firm etc. so you're not going to lose much in that regard. However you'll find it significantly harder to get a graduate job if you transfer to that film school. That would be a pretty massive implication.

EDIT: Put it this way - if you were a maths, economics, engineering, law (any strong traditional subject) student, it would be an extreme cause for concern.

FYI I study Drama at UoB

Graduates include:

Matt Lucas
David Walliams
Simon Pegg
Michael Winterbottom
Marcus Brigstoke
Sarah Kane
Mark Ravenhill
David Bamber
...I would go on but I think I've made my point.

I'm taught by one of the editors on pulp fiction, an advisor to the RSC, award winning filmmakers and theatre practitioners as well as being the most highly respected drama degree in the UK and one of the hardest courses to get onto at a uk university in terms of applicants per place. Some of the heads of massive media corporations are Bristol drama grads as are many many high level business execs in advertising, new media and the creative industries in general. It's fair to say that being a Bristol Drama grad has a certain "nudge nudge, wink wink" effect in the film/television/theatre/arts industries - in fact I have been told it first hand by a very successful producer and by the head of united agents.

So please - before you go spouting crap based on an ignorance of the fact that a massive part of the global economy is rooted in media, and the glorious assumption that in order to be a successful artist you have to be 'rich' (not the point my love) do a wee bit of research first oki? The reason why the decision was easy to make in the end was that graduating from my course would have given me equivalent advantages in terms of how the industry view it as being a Bristol law or engineering grad. I think it's advisable, in life as well as on TSR to not offer such a narrow minded opinion in a field you obviously disregard entirely and have no idea about.
Reply 61
Marlene Dietrich
FYI I study Drama at UoB

Graduates include:

Matt Lucas
David Walliams
Simon Pegg
Michael Winterbottom
Marcus Brigstoke
Sarah Kane
Mark Ravenhill
David Bamber
...I would go on but I think I've made my point.

I'm taught by one of the editors on pulp fiction, an advisor to the RSC, award winning filmmakers and theatre practitioners as well as being the most highly respected drama degree in the UK and one of the hardest courses to get onto at a uk university in terms of applicants per place. Some of the heads of massive media corporations are Bristol drama grads as are many many high level business execs in advertising, new media and the creative industries in general. It's fair to say that being a Bristol Drama grad has a certain "nudge nudge, wink wink" effect in the film/television/theatre/arts industries - in fact I have been told it first hand by a very successful producer and by the head of united agents.

So please - before you go spouting crap based on an ignorance of the fact that a massive part of the global economy is rooted in media, and the glorious assumption that in order to be a successful artist you have to be 'rich' (not the point my love) do a wee bit of research first oki? The reason why the decision was easy to make in the end was that graduating from my course would have given me equivalent advantages in terms of how the industry view it as being a Bristol law or engineering grad. I think it's advisable, in life as well as on TSR to not offer such a narrow minded opinion in a field you obviously disregard entirely and have no idea about.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/article2253011.ece

Bristol's media department is little exception.

Let me amend my previous post: you are highly unlikely to make it big with a media studies degree from Bristol. There are always going to be exceptions, regardless of university or degree.

Using the examples that you've listed, why go to university at all if you could potentially become a millionaire like Lord Sugar or Richard Branson? They dropped out when they were 16!

To the material highlighted in bold: prove it. Names, links. Only then will I concede.

EDIT: Frankly, i'd never even heard of 'media studies' at the University of Bristol. It can't be all that special as you've preached.
RBarack
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/article2253011.ece

Bristol's media department is little exception.

Let me amend my previous post: you are highly unlikely to make it big with a media studies degree from Bristol. There are always going to be exceptions, regardless or university or degree.

Using the examples that you've listed, why go to university at all if you could potentially become a millionaire like Lord Sugar or Richard Branson? They dropped out when they were 16!

To the material highlighted in bold: prove it. Names, links. Only then will I concede.

EDIT: Frankly, i'd never even heard of 'media studies' at the University of Bristol. It can't be all that special as you've preached.

That's because it's BA DRAMA you ****wit

please stop talking nonsense now - you know you aren't making sense.

as for the times "graduate pay" thing - well, that's a little silly to be quoting that m'love seen as performance/media arts is probably the most competitive and widely varied industry in the uk. That figure would include drama and dance school graduates who find it very difficult to make enough money to live on in their first five years, it would include people who did 'drama' at the many institutions where it is, admittedly, a bit pointless to study anything - because there are a LOT of people who want to take drama/film/performance degrees and poorer universities are cashing in on this by creating Ba Drama/Film/Performance departments without actually knowing what they're doing and not even employing the right staff.

Also, as I mentioned before - "success" in the above industries isn't measured by the amount of money you make. In fact a lot of the time artistic integrity comes at the cost of sacrificing very decent wages in other more corporate opportunities. I, for instance, would indeed be in a good position to apply to the beeb or numerous advertising agencies for grad jobs when I finish my degree but I never would nor do I ever intend to - there's more things in life than making money and I'd rather wake up every day in a squat with half a tin of cold baked beans for breakfast knowing that I get to do what I love - than spending thousands of pounds to work in a job, in an industry that I don't adore all so that I can go back to a pretty home for a couple of hours in the evenings and weekends and enjoy my nice middle class wage.

It's pointless arguing as you'll never get what I'm trying to say - so lets just agree to disagree vehemently :rolleyes:
Reply 63
Marlene Dietrich
That's because it's BA DRAMA you ****wit

please stop talking nonsense now - you know you aren't making sense.

as for the times "graduate pay" thing - well, that's a little silly to be quoting that m'love seen as performance/media arts is probably the most competitive and widely varied industry in the uk. That figure would include drama and dance school graduates who find it very difficult to make enough money to live on in their first five years, it would include people who did 'drama' at the many institutions where it is, admittedly, a bit pointless to study anything - because there are a LOT of people who want to take drama/film/performance degrees and poorer universities are cashing in on this by creating Ba Drama/Film/Performance departments without actually knowing what they're doing and not even employing the right staff.

Also, as I mentioned before - "success" in the above industries isn't measured by the amount of money you make. In fact a lot of the time artistic integrity comes at the cost of sacrificing very decent wages in other more corporate opportunities. I, for instance, would indeed be in a good position to apply to the beeb or numerous advertising agencies for grad jobs when I finish my degree but I never would nor do I ever intend to - there's more things in life than making money and I'd rather wake up every day in a squat with half a tin of cold baked beans for breakfast knowing that I get to do what I love - than spending thousands of pounds to work in a job, in an industry that I don't adore all so that I can go back to a pretty home for a couple of hours in the evenings and weekends and enjoy my nice middle class wage.

It's pointless arguing as you'll never get what I'm trying to say - so lets just agree to disagree vehemently :rolleyes:

I think the link I previously posted says it all. I am still unconvinced by your argument. There's no need to get worked up, I merely posted an opinion which you have very abruptly failed to contradict. The truth of the matter is, you don't need a drama degree to perform, nor do you need one to achieve 'success' in the entertainment industry. By convention, the top performers don't even have degrees.

I don't know what it is - either you're defending an admittedly poor choice of university degree, or you are genuinely blinded by the 'prestige' of a drama degree. Either way, it's a fact that a drama degree pretty much restricts you to the media industry but because you're a Bristol student, perhaps an average graduate job in other job sectors. Unfortunately outside the media industry, a drama degree is perceived as rather useless. The level of academic rigour is minimal, and you aren't really taught any key skills.

Sorry for hurting your pride - that wasn't the intention.

EDIT: I'm in soo much agony from the few neg points you gave me.
Reply 64
I actually spent a fair it of time there while doing a BTEC in Media. I can't recall a lot about how good the University itself stands, but it did have a very good media department, and the main building was actually surprisingly nice, if a little small compared to most universities. I actually learned more there in a week than in two years of BTEC!

But saying that, it's really not saying a whole lot. Going into Media is a terrible idea, plain and simple. The BTEC was absolutelty horrible, the work is not stimulating in any way at all, and your employment prospects are very limited, regardless of where you study and how you do. Even with a 1st, you'll probably end up as a runner for some god awful reality TV show, or animated-dog movie, and that pretty much makes working in a meat factory seem pleasant. It'll be a huge amount of time before you get anywhere meaningful, and from there you'll find yourself in a world of pedalling garbage rather than celebrating creativity.

If you really have a talent or passion for film, pursue it outside of your academic life. Chances are you'l have more success as a critic/media person that way (these days any toff with a silver-spoon degree can get paid ludicrous amounts of money for an awful 500 word column). If you're not happy with your current course, or don't feel you can handle your current university life (I actually left half way through my first year of A Levels for those reasons to go into the BTEC), then don't pressure yourself to persist with something you have no interest or confidence in. But for the love of God, don't ever sell yourself short.
Marlene Dietrich
Ok

So I study Drama at the University of Bristol

and I'm thinking of quitting to take a Film Degree at the University of Newport which houses the International Film School of Wales.

How massive would the implications be in terms of academic prospects at postgrad and employability?

Has anyone done anything like this??

bad idea :mmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending