The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester vs University of Edinburgh

So I am international student from Ukraine, I was offered a places in UoM and UoE for civil engineer courses in both, and I can't really pick one or another. Edinburgh is surely cool and beautiful place to be, but Manchester have huge new engineering building,while Edinburgh have only King's Buildings.League tables don't help, cause they all say different things, Edinburgh IA more prestigious overall,but Manchester oversize it in terms of engineering tables.So can anyone help me with that?
Reply 1
They are both very good options. Ranking wise Edinburgh is rated higher. They are both in the Russel group but from an engineering perspective I think UoM has a slight edge. I have an offer from the MACE school so I might be a tiny bit biased.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I also had the same decision to make last year, only it was for Mechanical Engineering (though Civil and Mechanical are quite similar and may even share modules as it is done in UoM). It was between University of Toronto, University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester and UC San Diego. I ended up choosing University of Manchester. I'll just go through the reasons why I ended up choosing UoM for you to consider based on my experience instead of giving you a straight up verdict. Of course if possible, you should also see if you can speak with some UoE students to consider all sides of both unis.

One of the reasons why I picked UoM Mechanical Engineering over all of the unis I was given an offer was because of its industry connections in the engineering department. There are close ties with Jaguar Land Rover, McLaren, Rolls-Royce and some other European aerospace companies (Airbus being one of them). UoE also has a few connections, e.g. Jaguar Land Rover (tbh all reputable British unis have ties with JLR) but it doesn't feel as extensive as UoM. I know UoM also has a few connections with some pretty big construction or engineering focused consulting firms like Arup, AECOM, Atkins, Network Rail etc. UoE also has some connections like Balfour Beatty, Deloitte and Network Rail but past graduates have also worked in general business consulting rather than engineering related companies like UBS if that is what you are more interested in. Have a look at both universities' industry connections in Civil Engineering to see which one appeals to you more, but at first glance, it seems UoM still has an upper hand in engineering related connections.

UoM's Mechanical Engineering course also feels like it covers a lot more than UoE. You have your theoretical modules e.g. Thermodynamics, Structures, Fluid Mechanics etc. but you also have a select few application related modules like Mechanical Engineering Systems where you learn how the theory bits actually apply into real world machines (e.g. IC engines and turbofans/props) and how they work. UoE didn't seem to have a dedicated module for applications and whatnot so that had me considering a bit. Of course with Civil Engineering, it will probably be a bit more different, focusing more on infrastructure, so have a look at both universities' courses and see which one appeals to you more.

Another factor I considered was the facilities available. The new engineering building is quite impressive with loads of workspace, machinery and a recently opened Makerspace for all students to use to pursue individual to group engineering projects. Sadly, there are quite a few places which are closed off for undergrad students without permission (as they are for the technicians or postgrad students) but the entire environment is a great place for engineers to study and practice engineering. There are loads of engineering societies as well (though UoE also has quite a few and the same as Manchester) e.g. Hyperloop, MANSEDS, UAV society, Formula Student etc.

Now onto rankings. I know some people say rankings shouldn't be considered because it's bogus or completely flawed but I think it is a decent place to gain a basic idea of uni reputation. Sure, UoE seems to be above UoM in pretty much all general rankings, but if you look at subject rankings/engineering rankings from QS, THE, ARWU and US News (4 of these being the most influential uni rankings in the world), UoM is consistently higher than UoE. If you look at the specific indicators for engineering in QS, UoM has a higher academic and employer reputation than UoE. Yes yes, all uni ranking methodologies are flawed, I agree, but we have quite some consistency going on here so it kind of does show you something (obviously not the whole picture). Now one important thing you also should take a note of is that if you look at international rankings (e.g. QS, THE, ARWU, US News) and national rankings (e.g. The Guardian, TheCompleteUniversity Guide, The Times and Sunday Times), you will see a huge fluctuation of ranking between them. This is because national rankings pay a lot more attention to university experience/student satisfaction rather than actual academic reputation. So if academics matter more to you, I would pay more attention to international rankings but if student satisfaction and the actual uni experience matters more, then look at national rankings. Besides, as an international student, I would value international rankings a whole lot more because I know I would not want to remain in the UK for a long time.

This is what I've got so far for you. Of course, you should consider that I am only speaking from my own experiences and may have some biases or different thought processes because of slightly different subjects, reasoning etc. Anyways, it will be tough to go wrong with either of these choices, because both universities are within top 50-100 in the world, top 20 in Europe, top 10 in the UK and have highly qualified lecturers!
Reply 3
Original post by Mxr312
They are both very good options. Ranking wise Edinburgh is rated higher. They are both in the Russel group but from an engineering perspective I think UoM has a slight edge. I have an offer from the MACE school so I might be a tiny bit biased.

Original post by INCOGN170
I also had the same decision to make last year, only it was for Mechanical Engineering (though Civil and Mechanical are quite similar and may even share modules as it is done in UoM). It was between University of Toronto, University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester and UC San Diego. I ended up choosing University of Manchester. I'll just go through the reasons why I ended up choosing UoM for you to consider based on my experience instead of giving you a straight up verdict. Of course if possible, you should also see if you can speak with some UoE students to consider all sides of both unis.

One of the reasons why I picked UoM Mechanical Engineering over all of the unis I was given an offer was because of its industry connections in the engineering department. There are close ties with Jaguar Land Rover, McLaren, Rolls-Royce and some other European aerospace companies (Airbus being one of them). UoE also has a few connections, e.g. Jaguar Land Rover (tbh all reputable British unis have ties with JLR) but it doesn't feel as extensive as UoM. I know UoM also has a few connections with some pretty big construction or engineering focused consulting firms like Arup, AECOM, Atkins, Network Rail etc. UoE also has some connections like Balfour Beatty, Deloitte and Network Rail but past graduates have also worked in general business consulting rather than engineering related companies like UBS if that is what you are more interested in. Have a look at both universities' industry connections in Civil Engineering to see which one appeals to you more, but at first glance, it seems UoM still has an upper hand in engineering related connections.

UoM's Mechanical Engineering course also feels like it covers a lot more than UoE. You have your theoretical modules e.g. Thermodynamics, Structures, Fluid Mechanics etc. but you also have a select few application related modules like Mechanical Engineering Systems where you learn how the theory bits actually apply into real world machines (e.g. IC engines and turbofans/props) and how they work. UoE didn't seem to have a dedicated module for applications and whatnot so that had me considering a bit. Of course with Civil Engineering, it will probably be a bit more different, focusing more on infrastructure, so have a look at both universities' courses and see which one appeals to you more.

Another factor I considered was the facilities available. The new engineering building is quite impressive with loads of workspace, machinery and a recently opened Makerspace for all students to use to pursue individual to group engineering projects. Sadly, there are quite a few places which are closed off for undergrad students without permission (as they are for the technicians or postgrad students) but the entire environment is a great place for engineers to study and practice engineering. There are loads of engineering societies as well (though UoE also has quite a few and the same as Manchester) e.g. Hyperloop, MANSEDS, UAV society, Formula Student etc.

Now onto rankings. I know some people say rankings shouldn't be considered because it's bogus or completely flawed but I think it is a decent place to gain a basic idea of uni reputation. Sure, UoE seems to be above UoM in pretty much all general rankings, but if you look at subject rankings/engineering rankings from QS, THE, ARWU and US News (4 of these being the most influential uni rankings in the world), UoM is consistently higher than UoE. If you look at the specific indicators for engineering in QS, UoM has a higher academic and employer reputation than UoE. Yes yes, all uni ranking methodologies are flawed, I agree, but we have quite some consistency going on here so it kind of does show you something (obviously not the whole picture). Now one important thing you also should take a note of is that if you look at international rankings (e.g. QS, THE, ARWU, US News) and national rankings (e.g. The Guardian, TheCompleteUniversity Guide, The Times and Sunday Times), you will see a huge fluctuation of ranking between them. This is because national rankings pay a lot more attention to university experience/student satisfaction rather than actual academic reputation. So if academics matter more to you, I would pay more attention to international rankings but if student satisfaction and the actual uni experience matters more, then look at national rankings. Besides, as an international student, I would value international rankings a whole lot more because I know I would not want to remain in the UK for a long time.

This is what I've got so far for you. Of course, you should consider that I am only speaking from my own experiences and may have some biases or different thought processes because of slightly different subjects, reasoning etc. Anyways, it will be tough to go wrong with either of these choices, because both universities are within top 50-100 in the world, top 20 in Europe, top 10 in the UK and have highly qualified lecturers!

Thank you both for your answers,I was by some strange reason rejected from UoM by "having to low grades" which is very weird given the fact that I have A*AA with A* in math,while UoM typical offer for civil engineering is AAA
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by daddy33
Thank you both for your answers,I was by some strange reason rejected from UoM by "having to low grades" which is very weird given the fact that I have A*AA with A* in math,while UoM typical offer for civil engineering is AAA

Huh that is very weird. Wait, so do you already have an offer from UoM with an minimum offer requirement of AAA? Because if you got an A*AA and you do have an offer of AAA, you should be accepted. Even with a offer requirement of A*AA, you also should be given a guaranteed spot. If a student fulfils their offer, a student's place at the uni MUST be guaranteed. If you were unrightfully declined a spot while achieving the minimum requirement from your offer you received, then I would highly recommend you to call up the university and explain this situation. UoM was hacked a few weeks ago so things might be a bit messed up, especially the administration which means they might've made a mistake.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by INCOGN170
Huh that is very weird. Wait, so do you already have an offer from UoM with an minimum offer requirement of AAA? Because if you got an A*AA and you do have an offer of AAA, you should be accepted. Even with a offer requirement of A*AA, you also should be given a guaranteed spot. If a student fulfils their offer, a student's place at the uni MUST be guaranteed. If you were unrightfully declined a spot while achieving the minimum requirement from your offer you received, then I would highly recommend you to call up the university and explain this situation. UoM was hacked a few weeks ago so things might be a bit messed up, especially the administration which means they might've made a mistake.

Nah,maybe formulated wrongly,I didn't hold the conditional,I just waited for their decision.I read at course page that the requirement is AAA and my personal statement was good,so I was sure that they will give me an offer(and also my predicted grade was A*).But the declined me with "to low predicted grades" reason.Maybe they just full, but gave some generic feedback

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending