The Student Room Group

Manchest Met Uni or Oxford brooks

I'm not sure what to decide,
MMU - international relationships with Japanese (i have to do a foundation year

Oxford Brookes - Modern languages with translation

I got DDD at A level so my choices are limited but how good is each uni? i checked the ranking and Brooke is better in the uk but MMU is better on the global rankings
Original post by xuni

I got DDD at A level so my choices are limited but how good is each uni? i checked the ranking and Brooke is better in the uk but MMU is better on the global rankings

A good university is the one best suited to you. A little bit of time spent researching the course (which is the important bit) and the university will pay off. Chatting to current/previous students and academics may help to research your options. If you have more specific questions I am happy to help.
Reply 2
I heard bad things from both cuz theyre both ex poly's but I want to know if its true or not, that OB has a horrible union and so does MMU, if any current or ex students of bothc an chip in that'll be great!

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
A good university is the one best suited to you. A little bit of time spent researching the course (which is the important bit) and the university will pay off. Chatting to current/previous students and academics may help to research your options. If you have more specific questions I am happy to help.
Reply 3
How interested are you in Politics - be aware that 'with ,,,' means Japanese will be a minor subject (typically 25%).
Or do you want to do exclusively 'languages'?
This - which course/subject - matters far more than 'which Uni'.
Reply 4
I'd prefer to do something more language orientated, but looking at the OBU course they do touch on international relations too! just not as much as manchester at all, which appeals to me. I was just worried cuz I heard some nasty stuff about both schools but these are my 2 options.

Original post by McGinger
How interested are you in Politics - be aware that 'with ,,,' means Japanese will be a minor subject (typically 25%).
Or do you want to do exclusively 'languages'?
This - which course/subject - matters far more than 'which Uni'.
Reply 5
Original post by xuni
I was just worried cuz I heard some nasty stuff about both schools but these are my 2 options.

MMU is very big - its one of the largest Unis in the UK - OB is a much smaller Uni and in an amazing city.
If you are an International student, and given what you have said about the course, OB might be the better choice.
Original post by xuni

Hi @xuni,

Thank you for your message. Of course, it is not my place to compare the two universities, but I can provide some information about Oxford Brookes that might be useful. I'm guessing that you have already looked through course page, but there is a lot of useful information on there. I would also recommend using Unibuddy Community as a way of getting in touch with current applicants to see if they have any helpful advice.

Finally, if you have already had contact from a member of faculty, it might be worth getting in touch with them about specific course queries. If you do not have a faculty contact, you can always email your query to [email protected] and we can pass it on to faculty for you. I hope this is helpful and best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Best regards,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Original post by xuni

@Xuni

I don't represent either University, however I did study at Manchester Metropolitan University for four years, they are technically an 'ex polytechnic' however there is nothing wrong with that. They do have an excellent student support service their and I can attest to the high quality of their social sciences department. Oxford Road (where the main campus) is does have a very high volume of students from East Asia who live around the new Vita Building - I live just around the corner, so I would assume the MMU student Union will be very aware of the typical experiences of learners studying subjects linked to Japanese, Chinese languages etc

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending