The Student Room Group

Nottingham and Warwick economics

About to study Nottingham economics, would it be worth to reapply to target institutions for investment banks and start back at year 1 next year?

My a levels are 4A*. I wonder if this is a good idea, if I were to get an offer I would have to drop out of Nottingham and continue back in year 1. Keep in mind I have already taken a gap year, is this a waste of time?

I hope to get into an investment bank, either a tier 1, tier 2 or 3. I’m more so worried about if employers ask why I dropped out of Nottingham. Its economics degree is very good and I could try and pursue a masters at a top institution as an alternative.

Another risk is that I don’t get offered at all just like this year for my top choices.

Scroll to see replies

Employers don’t hire universities they hire individuals, yes with investment banking uni name is important but I don’t think it’s necessary in this case as Notts economics is very strong.

You better focusing on developing a strong cv, demonstrating an interest in finance, building knowledge & skills suitable for the division you want to pursue.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Employers don’t hire universities they hire individuals, yes with investment banking uni name is important but I don’t think it’s necessary in this case as Notts economics is very strong.

You better focusing on developing a strong cv, demonstrating an interest in finance, building knowledge & skills suitable for the division you want to pursue.

I understand that, but wouldn’t it be easier to strengthen a CV with a target university? Wouldn’t internships etc be easier to attain?

my parents are really against me going to Nottingham, they think it’s a rubbish university and I’m better off going to somewhere local at a non-target university. They’re arguing that there is no brand name behind it because they have never heard of it. Of course I know they want the best for me but I also know what’s best for myself.
Original post by Chris2838
I understand that, but wouldn’t it be easier to strengthen a CV with a target university? Wouldn’t internships etc be easier to attain?

my parents are really against me going to Nottingham, they think it’s a rubbish university and I’m better off going to somewhere local at a non-target university. They’re arguing that there is no brand name behind it because they have never heard of it. Of course I know they want the best for me but I also know what’s best for myself.

Nottingham economics is very strong (the department is Nobel prize winning) fwiw I managed to get interviews in consulting & IB with Notts (STEM subject), and I know others who have done the same.

there is probably a slight advantage at Warwick brand name wise but Notts is still a semi target, and building a strong CV will be possible at either. If you do virtual internships get spring weeks, take finance related MOOCs, join finance society get leadership experience…

as i say they are recruiting individuals and the reputation difference between notts economics & Warwick is close enough that your ability to get internships (which are basically essential for securing a full time role) will be on YOU not the university.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Nottingham economics is very strong (the department is Nobel prize winning) fwiw I managed to get interviews in consulting & IB with Notts (STEM subject), and I know others who have done the same.

there is probably a slight advantage at Warwick brand name wise but Notts is still a semi target, and building a strong CV will be possible at either. If you do virtual internships get spring weeks, take finance related MOOCs, join finance society get leadership experience…

as i say they are recruiting individuals and the reputation difference between notts economics & Warwick is close enough that your ability to get internships (which are basically essential for securing a full time role) will be on YOU not the university.

What are you currently doing?
What are you currently doing?

I’m in the process of changing jobs, within consultancy
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I’m in the process of changing jobs, within consultancy

I’m planning to join and be dedicated in the economics and finance society at Nottingham, are there any other extra curricular a I could do to enhance my CV besides internships etc. I want myself to stand out more. Is there somewhere I can look to find?
Reply 7
About to study Nottingham economics, would it be worth to reapply to target institutions for investment banks and start back at year 1 next year?

My a levels are 4A*. I wonder if this is a good idea, if I were to get an offer I would have to drop out of Nottingham and continue back in year 1. Keep in mind I have already taken a gap year, is this a waste of time?

I hope to get into an investment bank, either a tier 1, tier 2 or 3. I’m more so worried about if employers ask why I dropped out of Nottingham. Its economics degree is very good and I could try and pursue a masters at a top institution as an alternative.

Another risk is that I don’t get offered at all just like this year for my top choices.

Bro, I am in the same position as you. I was predicted 4 A stars, was told that I had a very good personal statement and I got rejected from all of my top 4. I ended up firming notts Econ today and although I was disheartened, notts is still really good for IB and banking. Honestly, with these Econ admissions, it just comes down to a degree of luck as everyone has the grades. I think our best bet is to shine when we're really at uni and try secure good internships. I'm possibly thinking about switching to maths and Econ tho, as I seem to prefer maths more now lol.
Reply 8
Original post by dh33r4j_d
Bro, I am in the same position as you. I was predicted 4 A stars, was told that I had a very good personal statement and I got rejected from all of my top 4. I ended up firming notts Econ today and although I was disheartened, notts is still really good for IB and banking. Honestly, with these Econ admissions, it just comes down to a degree of luck as everyone has the grades. I think our best bet is to shine when we're really at uni and try secure good internships. I'm possibly thinking about switching to maths and Econ tho, as I seem to prefer maths more now lol.

Oooh I see, we’re in the exact same situation haha. What were your original 5 if I may ask.

yeah you’re super right about that, it all comes down into you as an individual. Are you planning to join any societies?

Although it was disheartening, I’m super happy about finally studying the course I wanted to after a year lol.
I’m planning to join and be dedicated in the economics and finance society at Nottingham, are there any other extra curricular a I could do to enhance my CV besides internships etc. I want myself to stand out more. Is there somewhere I can look to find?

I would recommend finding online financial programs, especially virtual internships (forage has some)
- nail spring week applications, get on them early
- how do you demonstrate key attributes: communication, work ethic, being a winner, team work, excellence... examples are better then words.
- find a way to get a role on committee of a uni society often great for a cv, organisiing large events, outperforming people (can you demonstrate that you placed 1st in your school for example)
- be human, culture & personality is as important, have real hobbies, ultimately the hiring managers have to work with you
- everything you submit cv/cover letter/online interviews is a reflection of you so whilst it is grueling make sure everything is polished and always do deep research & be educated on the role you are applying for
Reply 10
Oooh I see, we’re in the exact same situation haha. What were your original 5 if I may ask.

yeah you’re super right about that, it all comes down into you as an individual. Are you planning to join any societies?

Although it was disheartening, I’m super happy about finally studying the course I wanted to after a year lol.

Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick. I had confidence I would secure one of these top unis, but got rejected for application 'not as strong'. My parents also weren't too happy but they understood notts had a really strong reputation IB and banking and don't seem to mind much anymore. I've seen a lot of people join the Econ and finance society there so will deffo join that. I'll also just join any other societies that are extra curricular , probably a few sports ones. But my main focus is solidifying my cv and making the most out of it where I can. I'm just hoping they'll let me switch to maths and Econ now. (hopefully If I get the A star in FM) because I feel like I enjoy the maths side of economics way more. I've heard of some people reapplying to other unis when they're in their first year at notts but I'm not sure if this is true/allowed lol.
Reply 11
Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick. I had confidence I would secure one of these top unis, but got rejected for application 'not as strong'. My parents also weren't too happy but they understood notts had a really strong reputation IB and banking and don't seem to mind much anymore. I've seen a lot of people join the Econ and finance society there so will deffo join that. I'll also just join any other societies that are extra curricular , probably a few sports ones. But my main focus is solidifying my cv and making the most out of it where I can. I'm just hoping they'll let me switch to maths and Econ now. (hopefully If I get the A star in FM) because I feel like I enjoy the maths side of economics way more. I've heard of some people reapplying to other unis when they're in their first year at notts but I'm not sure if this is true/allowed lol.

Haha me too I got rejected for the same reason it’s really annoying to get that reason, I wonder what people are doing I am not doing. My parents are absolutely against me going Nottingham haha but what choice do I have, they fail to understand it’s really good for economics.

Yeah me too, I’m really focusing on strengthening my CV as much as possible. Will join a fitness society if they have one too (they should right it’s a leading sports university?)

where are you staying?

im sure they will let you switch, yeah it’s allowed but it might be costly, unless you find something valuable to do during that gap year.
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
I would recommend finding online financial programs, especially virtual internships (forage has some)
- nail spring week applications, get on them early
- how do you demonstrate key attributes: communication, work ethic, being a winner, team work, excellence... examples are better then words.
- find a way to get a role on committee of a uni society often great for a cv, organisiing large events, outperforming people (can you demonstrate that you placed 1st in your school for example)
- be human, culture & personality is as important, have real hobbies, ultimately the hiring managers have to work with you
- everything you submit cv/cover letter/online interviews is a reflection of you so whilst it is grueling make sure everything is polished and always do deep research & be educated on the role you are applying for

How valuable are virtual internships compared to real life?

Where do you usually search for internships, is there a society that posts job advertisements etc.

I am very with you on this, thanks for all the help.

Around what % of the cohort usually secure sprinf weeks and summer interns? Is it hard?
Reply 13
Haha me too I got rejected for the same reason it’s really annoying to get that reason, I wonder what people are doing I am not doing. My parents are absolutely against me going Nottingham haha but what choice do I have, they fail to understand it’s really good for economics.

Yeah me too, I’m really focusing on strengthening my CV as much as possible. Will join a fitness society if they have one too (they should right it’s a leading sports university?)

where are you staying?

im sure they will let you switch, yeah it’s allowed but it might be costly, unless you find something valuable to do during that gap year.

Yh bro these things happen. I just firmed it today so will have to wait 48 hours before I book accomodation. Hopefully Nottingham two as two of my friends from my current sixth form are staying there. Yeah im not keen on the gap year either. Hopefully I will enjoy my time at notts and make valuable connections there
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
Yh bro these things happen. I just firmed it today so will have to wait 48 hours before I book accomodation. Hopefully Nottingham two as two of my friends from my current sixth form are staying there. Yeah im not keen on the gap year either. Hopefully I will enjoy my time at notts and make valuable connections there

Economics campus is in university park and Nottingham two is a 20minute walk away. I've firmed Nottingham too, just seeing the accommodation options left make me stress hahaha.

Why would your parents think Nottingham is a rubbish university?

It is a solid 12th to 16th best university in the UK; which I would personally place at 13th.

Warwick is a 9th to 11th best university in the UK; which I would personally place at 10th.

Not that much a big gap, is it?

If your parents have never heard of University of Nottingham (I am assuming we are not mistakenly talking about Nottingham Trent or University of Northampton), then your parents don't know much about UK universities and don't follow trends.
Reply 16
Original post by RoyalBeams
Why would your parents think Nottingham is a rubbish university?

It is a solid 12th to 16th best university in the UK; which I would personally place at 13th.

Warwick is a 9th to 11th best university in the UK; which I would personally place at 10th.

Not that much a big gap, is it?

If your parents have never heard of University of Nottingham (I am assuming we are not mistakenly talking about Nottingham Trent or University of Northampton), then your parents don't know much about UK universities and don't follow trends.

They keep bringing up world rankings, that Nottingham is ranked 114th “I don’t want you to go to a bottom university”
(edited 11 months ago)
They keep bringing up world rankings, that Nottingham is ranked 114th “I don’t want you to go to a bottom university” and they fail to listen to my points and go back to the same points… I think I give up explaining to them… but they are my parents you know I just want to reassure them that I’m doing what’s best for myself

In world rankings, apart from QS, both Nottingham and Warwick are usually in the 101st to 150th position bracket. Considering that these rankings are largely splitting hairs beyond the top 10, these two universities are in the same bracket in global rankings and reputations.

I think in Global Reputations, the brackets are:

Top 8 (including Oxbridge)
Next 13 (including Imperial, UCL and LSE)
Next 40 (including Edinburgh, KCL and Manchester)
Next 100 (which will have circa 10 UK universities including Warwick and Nottingham)

Nottingham is by no means a bottom university. The strongest argument against it is that it is not a Top 10 university in the UK overall; Warwick arguably is, but the gap is not that large, as Warwick is definitely not a Top 8 university.

It must be acknowledged that Warwick is well-known as Top 5 in the UK for Economics though.
How valuable are virtual internships compared to real life?

Where do you usually search for internships, is there a society that posts job advertisements etc.

I am very with you on this, thanks for all the help.

Around what % of the cohort usually secure sprinf weeks and summer interns? Is it hard?

Real internships are 1000x more valuable but if you can partake in financial related stuff it will increase your cv’s ability & demonstrate a real interest in the industry (they want people with an active interest in the industry not just people who want to be rich). So use the virtual course to build knowledge and demonstrate a developed interest (remember you are not competing with average candidates but the top candidates at top unis).

For example in interviews I literally got asked about my investment portfolio, how i value an investment and why i have been in more passive instruments… (this was for a markets role not IBD).

The hiring stats are extremely low, and make for pretty gloomy reading. But most students stand 0% chance and fail to have a suitable application and haven’t invested time in understanding how recruitment actually works, or the detailed knowledge required at interviewsz.

To find jobs: efinancialcareers/bright network/uni careers fair/bright network/checking every companies websites repeatedly.

Boutiques which recruit at uki campuses are a great way to shorten the process as going against far less applicants per place but frankly this type of recruiting is starting to dry up and purely website driven applications are more popular.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by RoyalBeams
In world rankings, apart from QS, both Nottingham and Warwick are usually in the 101st to 150th position bracket. Considering that these rankings are largely splitting hairs beyond the top 10, these two universities are in the same bracket in global rankings and reputations.

I think in Global Reputations, the brackets are:

Top 8 (including Oxbridge)
Next 13 (including Imperial, UCL and LSE)
Next 40 (including Edinburgh, KCL and Manchester)
Next 100 (which will have circa 10 UK universities including Warwick and Nottingham)

Nottingham is by no means a bottom university. The strongest argument against it is that it is not a Top 10 university in the UK overall; Warwick arguably is, but the gap is not that large, as Warwick is definitely not a Top 8 university.

It must be acknowledged that Warwick is well-known as Top 5 in the UK for Economics though.

That is their biggest and only reasoning. Also arguing that Manchester economics is better than Warwick’s for banking prospects because it’s university is ranked higher on the league tables.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending