The Student Room Group

Architecture vs Graphic Design

im having doubts about applyin for architecture. im considering graphic design instead....time is running out for me, nd i still dont know which direction to go.. pls help, i need it quick.!!!
There is no way we can make a quick decision for you - only you know what's truly best for you. But there are two things I would take into consideration:
1. Work Experience - having experience in both industries helped me make up my mind
2. You can become a graphic designer with an architecture degree but you can't become an architect with a graphic design degree.
Reply 2
architecture is way much harder from what i have heard compared to graphic design, its up to you.
Reply 3
Shawn the Sheep

2. You can become a graphic designer with an architecture degree but you can't become an architect with a graphic design degree.

can u expand on that pls~? how
Reply 4
will art and design foundation help me decide?

Im presuming the message he was trying to convey is the fact that Architecture is a more rigorously demanding academic subject. After 7 years of studying Architecture, your analytic thinking skills would have developed significantly and you could conceivably go into graphic design as a career if you wanted to.

However going into Graphic design as a career would not prime you for training in Architecture.
chickennuggets
can u expand on that pls~? how

To become an architect in the UK you have to pass RIBA parts one two and three - when you go to most architecture schools your undergraduate degree counts for part 1 examinations. (if you do not know about this already then I suggest you do some research immediately) Only when you pass parts 1,2 & 3 can you call yourself an architect

To become a graphic designer you need no formal qualifications - I could set up a company and call myself a graphic designer today.

What I was really trying to say is that the skills that graphic designers have are covered at architecture school - from page layout to developing creative ideas - and these skills can be easily transfered to Graphic Design whereas at design school there is a lot of creativity and development of creative ideas, but you will not have knowledge in Construction, theory etc etc to become an architect.
Reply 7
but then wat will the point of doin architecture degree? is ther any course that combines graphic design nd architecture ?
Reply 8
do u think art foundation will be best for now, just 2 help me decide which way i wanna go?
Reply 9
chickennuggets
b is ther any course that combines graphic design nd architecture ?

erm..... architecture? you learn graphic design as part and parcel of presenting your work as an architecture student.
Reply 10
yes, you could definitely go into a career in graphics from architecture. the possibilities are endless.

but do not take architecture if you think graphics is what you really want to do, it is not worth the physical and mental strain. Only take architecture if you think, that right now at least, you definitely want to work towards an architecture related goal. If you start this course without 100% dedication (ie thinking in the back of your mind that you really wanted to be a graphic designer) you'll set yourself up for a tough time.

And in my experience, having just finished it, art foundation isn't really the best set up for architecture. I've had to do a lot of "unlearning" and reigning in terms of wacky ideas and conceptual thinking... it's been a hinder, if I'm honest. Maybe that's just because of where I study... I daresay schools likt the bartlett and the AA will have a completely different approach. Art foundation is fun, though.
Reply 11
chickennuggets
im having doubts about applyin for architecture. im considering graphic design instead....time is running out for me, nd i still dont know which direction to go.. pls help, i need it quick.!!!

Graphic design... you'll have a hell of a lot less debt, less workload allowing you to pursue other interests apart from studying, and the ability to still be creative and move into fields which actually make money - like advertising agencies.

Or you could start architecture and you'll know within a couple of weeks whether its for you or not. But starting an architecture degree because you're not sure, but it still gives you the option to move into graphic design is a bit like using a cannon to kill a mosquito. You acquire a huge (and highly beneficial) skill set for just one related discipline.

art foundation might help... or is that just stalling for time.....
most good graphic design courses require a foundation in art & design, so its sumthin i definitely have 2 do if i wanna do graphics design?
i think im gonna apply for architecture nd art foundation @ the same time. i have 2 send my ucas application tdy!!! nd wat it seems like is that im applyin 4 architecture.
Hi what did u choose?
Hi this thread must be really old but what year are you studying in arch? Or have you already graduated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending