The Student Room Group

Unsure whether to follow my passion

Studying A level maths, physics and fine art (second year). I’ve always leant towards architecture as a degree, but art is my passion. I worry that with an Art degree I can’t progress to a top end job, which seems more likely with an architecture degree. What should I do?
Original post by At20052005
Studying A level maths, physics and fine art (second year). I’ve always leant towards architecture as a degree, but art is my passion. I worry that with an Art degree I can’t progress to a top end job, which seems more likely with an architecture degree. What should I do?

How about trying to get the best of both worlds by pursuing an architecture degree / career and also maintaining art in the background? Not quite as a hobby (as that word seems to trivialise it), but as something you do during evenings and weekends.

You may find that (depending on the uni) an architecture degree allows you to choose optional modules from other departments (e.g. art). That would allow you to enhance your art knowledge / skill whilst at uni too.
Reply 2
A suggestion is to take a 1-year Art and Design Foundation Diploma course between school and any Uni course.
More info - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas

This is a common route for many Art/Design and Architecture students. It gives you exposure to many different art forms, and the chance to develop new interests - with the expertise/facilities to produce your best portfolio. It would provide you will time / space to work out which degree route you want to take.

Hi there! :h:

I would personally recommend doing what you're passionate about as this would ensure you're enthusiastic about what you do, meaning you're more likely to be engaged and do well in the course and in your career!

There are plenty of career prospects out there but I would definitely recommend reaching out to students and staff from these degrees to ask them about what the course is like and what the career opportunities are like after graduation. Most universities will have a Unibuddy site like Plymouth's one here, where you can ask questions to students and staff from both architecture and art courses to find out more information and ask specific course-related questions or anything in general!

If you have any general university related questions, I'm a second year undergraduate so I'd be happy to answer any you might have!

Best of luck! :biggrin:

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
A degree that combines aspects of both, such as Interior Design or Interior Architecture?

@At20052005

If you have an interest, I think you should go with architecture.

You can be creative with architecture, look at the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, Zaha Hadid, Norman Foster etc... so there will be opportunities to use your creativity, though of course it may take time before you can be as expressive as you would like to, dependent on where you work and how willing clients are to receiving more daring ideas.

Since you are studying maths and physics, it also seems like a good way for you to use all your skills.

I previously studied Fine Art and though it was great to be free to create, you do need a particular mindset to make a career going forward as an artist. Whether that's being able to stay motivated and inspired post university, being able to market your work and network, being disciplined with making time to do artwork, to just thinking carefully about how you are going to support yourself financially ,so that you can keep creating work and have additional funds e.g. for rent, bills, food etc..

I think focusing on a particular area of art makes it easier to get a top job e.g. architecture, product design, graphic design, illustration etc so I think this would be the better option if you are looking for a top end job unfortunately, passion doesn't guarantee that!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending