The Student Room Group

Feeling really depressed, missing Uni, missing friends etc.

Since I came home form uni (last Saturday) I've been feeling really depressed. I have no friends at home, so I'm really missing my hallmates. I've been home alone pretty much all week, trying to get some work done but I've done hardly anything, and I don't understand part of the lab report I've got to write at all. I'm not really looking forward to Christmas as I always feel really ungrateful to my parents.
I really want to go back now, but I know that things will be a lot tougher in the second term.
Sorry, this was just a complete vent. I'm so confused and stressed and I know that it's not going to get better any time soon.
Are none of your school friends home for Christmas?
Me too. I mean I have friends here, but one was still at college and had tons of work to do this week, the other doesn't live locally any more and my old college friend is skint and can't meet me til next week. So basically this week has been boring as anything. My own attempts to work have been pretty poor too.

So, yeah, you're not alone in the boredom stakes.
Reply 3
FootPrints
Are none of your school friends home for Christmas?

I didn't keep in touch with anyone from school, so no.
Reply 4
Just wanted to say you're definitely not alone! :hugs: I suppose it's quite a shock because you've gone from being literally surrounded by people constantly for a number of weeks now, meeting new people, settling in... and just when you really adjust you're off again, having to get used to a completely different pace and general way of life. If it's any consolation it does get easier, though :smile: I'll have been back two weeks tomorrow, and for the first week or so it felt reaaally odd and I just wanted to be back. It's starting to get a better now though, and what with Christmas and New Year things will probably be quite busy, and after that it won't be long until term restarts anyway.

If you haven't got so many friends at home it can be quite hard; a number of my friends fell out quite majorly towards the end of Year 13 which means that doing things together now is a little complicated. Even if you can't see many people though, perhaps think of a couple of things you can only do at home- even really silly things like having long baths :p: and try and do a few things like that.

Hope things get better soon and you have a good holiday! :hugs:
I am in exactly the same situation, been home nearly a week and it is really hard. I have seen my family one day and seen my dad another, but other than that I have done nothing, I see my mum and sister come and go from the house and I feel awful becuase I have nothing to do. My mum gets angry becuase I am moping about but I have no friends to spend time with, as they all are spending time with my ex, who it would be impossible to spend time around.

One suggestion is to see your uni friends over the holidays? This is what I want to do so much but it is really difficult because all of mine like about 100 miles away atleast. I would go visit but it seems difficult to just invite yourself over.

Thtas the only suggestion I have I'm afraid, apart from just getting your head down and getting over it, at the end of the day you have to remember that there isn't that long left, and you'll be back with the new friends you have made :smile:

Latest