The Student Room Group

Regret living alone 3rd year

My friends moved into a 3 bedroom flat, while I moved into a studio. One of them invited me to live with them before they went house hunting, but due to a very negative flatmate experience and poor mental health, I decided to live alone.

From day 1 I was unhappy. It's been months now, and I still cannot get over the feelings of regret and isolation. I see my friends regularly, they practically consider me an honorary flatmate, but I feel like ****.

I've grown quite a bit, but I'm extremely unhappy. I'm scared that two years of feeling like garbage in my own living space have broken me. I found some positive behaviours to cope, but also some negative ones. My mood and self esteem feels very unstable. I don't know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous #1
My friends moved into a 3 bedroom flat, while I moved into a studio. One of them invited me to live with them before they went house hunting, but due to a very negative flatmate experience and poor mental health, I decided to live alone.

From day 1 I was unhappy. It's been months now, and I still cannot get over the feelings of regret and isolation. I see my friends regularly, they practically consider me an honorary flatmate, but I feel like ****.

I've grown quite a bit, but I'm extremely unhappy. I'm scared that two years of feeling like garbage in my own living space have broken me. I found some positive behaviours to cope, but also some negative ones. My mood and self esteem feels very unstable. I don't know what to do.
Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. Is it the feeling of missing out, or feeling lonely, anything else that is bothering you?

Sometimes we do make decisions we regret later on, you are not alone in feeling this way. I understand at sometimes it can feel lonely to be living on your own, and it is great to hear that you are seeing your friends regularly.

It is normal to experience bad mental health at some point in time, and it is important to have coping mechanisms. I understand the feeling of isolation can be awful, but since you have a great relationship with your friends, do speak to do them more often. :smile: Have you perhaps sought out any help from professionals, whether that be your GP or just making the University aware of your situation?

Universities may offer very good support systems, I have personally benefited from using their services, and I would really recommend seeking help. Even if you do not wish to disclose everything, it can be good just to have someone to hear you out and have a safe place to sort through your feelings. If you ever feel overwhelmed, speak with your friends and family or get in touch with the University. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. Is it the feeling of missing out, or feeling lonely, anything else that is bothering you?

Sometimes we do make decisions we regret later on, you are not alone in feeling this way. I understand at sometimes it can feel lonely to be living on your own, and it is great to hear that you are seeing your friends regularly.

It is normal to experience bad mental health at some point in time, and it is important to have coping mechanisms. I understand the feeling of isolation can be awful, but since you have a great relationship with your friends, do speak to do them more often. :smile: Have you perhaps sought out any help from professionals, whether that be your GP or just making the University aware of your situation?

Universities may offer very good support systems, I have personally benefited from using their services, and I would really recommend seeking help. Even if you do not wish to disclose everything, it can be good just to have someone to hear you out and have a safe place to sort through your feelings. If you ever feel overwhelmed, speak with your friends and family or get in touch with the University. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep

Yes, the feeling of missing out is really bothering me, but also strong feelings of loneliness and isolation. Generally I'm very depressed this year because of this. I did not expect this to be my reality this year.

I feel like I missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to live with some of the best people I have ever met.

I have spoken about this to a therapist and to my family, but it's not helping much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending