The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
haven't started revision yet..
Reply 2
lol i barely know half of the stuff im supposed to know
Reply 3
lol theres still time yet....this topic just seems so dull / tedious in comparison to the AS exams last year though
Reply 4
I'm really confused whether we need to know like all the reports like the New Deal, Eddington Report, Civil Aviation Bill etc. and if so what we need to know of them?

any help here?

thanks in advance
Hey,
I don't think the text book provided by ocr is very good when explaining certain concepts. It seems to often contradict itself.
I was confused about franchises. It says that the purpose is to promote competition, however it then goes on to say that the winning franchise holder will be given the benefit of no competition. How can this be promoting competition if there is no competition?
Reply 6
oliverschofield
Hey,
I don't think the text book provided by ocr is very good when explaining certain concepts. It seems to often contradict itself.
I was confused about franchises. It says that the purpose is to promote competition, however it then goes on to say that the winning franchise holder will be given the benefit of no competition. How can this be promoting competition if there is no competition?

I think the purpose it to promote competition when applying for franchise, but then whoever wins the bid has benefit of no competition? if that makes sense? im not entirely sure though i was a bit confused aswell.

Some points i was confused about:
On specification:
-'understand nature of, and influences on, firms revenues'? - I dont understand this, is it just a general statement?
Only statement i could find in the textbook was 'LRAC fall due to an increase in size of vehicles, consequently their so called payload, the revenue-producing load increases'??

-Impact of deregulation: Why is the result 'decline in bus passenger numbers', 'increased car ownership' etc?
I know it was hoped for that fares would be lower, efficiency increase etc but the hoped for benefits failed to materialise. Why was this???

-Is PFI/PPP the same thing?

-I know PED inelastic/elastic etc. and how it effects demand and YED higher income go for certan types of transport etc - but do we need to know all the values like YED, XED and the numbers like we did in first module at AS? - i havnt learnt these yet so hope not! ??

-What are people using as there example of a monopoly? Network Rail is an example of a natural monopoly but do you have any other transport examples?

-'explain effects of increased demand for road and air transport on the environment'
I know the neg externalities such as noise, accidents, congestion etc but its only really the pollution that affects the environment? Do you just say due to issue of climate change, demands on energy, raw materials, space overwhelming etc - and uses non renewable sources which aernt sustainable etc?

-'analyse why existance of negative externalities is a case for market failure'
Is this literally just where free market is failing to produce best use of scarce resources and inefficient allocation of resources? What else would you say?

-'Discuss impact on UK towns and cities and elsewhere in the world where road-pricing schemes have been implemented'
-'Disuss using case studies of developed and emerging economies, how other countries have sought to deal with the problems of urban traffic congestion'
What is the different between these two?
The case studies i have are Singapore, Durham in UK, Norway-Oslo,Bergen, Australia-Melbourne from the textbook. Could i answer about writing about any of these for either of these two questions??

If you can help on any of these would be grateful.
thank you
jkkk32
I think the purpose it to promote competition when applying for franchise, but then whoever wins the bid has benefit of no competition? if that makes sense? im not entirely sure though i was a bit confused aswell.

Some points i was confused about:
On specification:
-'understand nature of, and influences on, firms revenues'? - I dont understand this, is it just a general statement?
Only statement i could find in the textbook was 'LRAC fall due to an increase in size of vehicles, consequently their so called payload, the revenue-producing load increases'??

-Impact of deregulation: Why is the result 'decline in bus passenger numbers', 'increased car ownership' etc?
I know it was hoped for that fares would be lower, efficiency increase etc but the hoped for benefits failed to materialise. Why was this???

-Is PFI/PPP the same thing?

-I know PED inelastic/elastic etc. and how it effects demand and YED higher income go for certan types of transport etc - but do we need to know all the values like YED, XED and the numbers like we did in first module at AS? - i havnt learnt these yet so hope not! ??

-What are people using as there example of a monopoly? Network Rail is an example of a natural monopoly but do you have any other transport examples?

-'explain effects of increased demand for road and air transport on the environment'
I know the neg externalities such as noise, accidents, congestion etc but its only really the pollution that affects the environment? Do you just say due to issue of climate change, demands on energy, raw materials, space overwhelming etc - and uses non renewable sources which aernt sustainable etc?

-'analyse why existance of negative externalities is a case for market failure'
Is this literally just where free market is failing to produce best use of scarce resources and inefficient allocation of resources? What else would you say?

-'Discuss impact on UK towns and cities and elsewhere in the world where road-pricing schemes have been implemented'
-'Disuss using case studies of developed and emerging economies, how other countries have sought to deal with the problems of urban traffic congestion'
What is the different between these two?
The case studies i have are Singapore, Durham in UK, Norway-Oslo,Bergen, Australia-Melbourne from the textbook. Could i answer about writing about any of these for either of these two questions??

If you can help on any of these would be grateful.
thank you

by "understand nature of, and influences on, firms revenues" I think it just simply means knowing what a firms revenue consists of and what factors influence a firm's revenue

impact of deregulation - in theory it works; it increases competition, increases supply, increases output, decreases costs/prices, and this applies in reality to a certain extent. However the determinants of demand need to be considered, and price did not fall enough relatively compared to the cost of car use for there to be a switch in demand from car to bus, as well as other determinants, incomes (rising), tastes + preferences (car use is the norm), convenience (cars provide a door-to-door service), flexibility (buses run on timetables not as and when you need them), ownership (if you have a car you may as well use it), accessibility (lack of bus stops)

PFIs (Private finance initiatives) are the methods to provide funding for PPPs (Public-Private partnerships). The PFI is the funding the PPP is the actual relationship/scheme between public and private.

They shouldn't ask you to calculate PEDs etc, based on past papers and the specimen, however "prior knowledge is assumed" so they could test it if they like due to the fact it's covered at AS, so do learn them

A natural monopoly is an example of a monopoly so you could use that as a valid example if asked, however you could also mention the routes themselves (except 'open-access' routes) become monopolies once franchises have been tendered, e.g. Virgin Trains service Manchester -> London, is a monopolistic route until the franchise comes up for lease again.

Yes, you can state the lack of non-renewable resources which would be depleted, and also noise pollution, air pollution, visual intrusion, congestion, stress and accidents, but also the use of land. There is limited space to build on and so land, the scarce resource it is, would be used up. There is an opportunity cost, would the land have had a better use?
You can also say the divergence between the MPC and MSC will increase due to an increase in external costs

Yes, define market failure and say that the full social cost is not being paid for the goods/services that cause negative externalites, due to insufficient information on the magnitude of the neg. externality. Consumers only account for the private cost. There is over consumption/over production of the good/service.

Examples that could be used: London, Singapore, Stockholm, Durham
In general the numbers of cars on the road has decreased in these areas. The systems vary, London uses number plate recognition and a fixed fee; Singapore a 'tag and beacon' system (a pay machine in the car is deducted funds when entering congestion zones) the fee is variable dependent on the day and peak/off-peak hours; Stockholm uses a similar system to Singapore but also uses ANPR like London (Automatic Number Plate Recognition); and Durham uses a barrier to close off a stretch of street in the centre a fee is paid to enter the stretch of road, it has affectively made turned the road into a pedestrianised area.
Evaluate the cost implications of such schemes, for example London spends 50% of generated income on admin and policing.
You can also say that driving has become more pleasurable and visitors enjoy less noise and air pollution. However schemes could deter business activity from the area and reduce domestic and international competitiveness.

For the second of those two questions you would simply write about the schemes, how they work, how they compare (variable/flat rate - offpeak/peak etc) whereas the first is more detailed including external costs/benefits.

I hope that has helped :smile:
Reply 8
rish.aggarwal158
by "understand nature of, and influences on, firms revenues" I think it just simply means knowing what a firms revenue consists of and what factors influence a firm's revenue

impact of deregulation - in theory it works; it increases competition, increases supply, increases output, decreases costs/prices, and this applies in reality to a certain extent. However the determinants of demand need to be considered, and price did not fall enough relatively compared to the cost of car use for there to be a switch in demand from car to bus, as well as other determinants, incomes (rising), tastes + preferences (car use is the norm), convenience (cars provide a door-to-door service), flexibility (buses run on timetables not as and when you need them), ownership (if you have a car you may as well use it), accessibility (lack of bus stops)

PFIs (Private finance initiatives) are the methods to provide funding for PPPs (Public-Private partnerships). The PFI is the funding the PPP is the actual relationship/scheme between public and private.

They shouldn't ask you to calculate PEDs etc, based on past papers and the specimen, however "prior knowledge is assumed" so they could test it if they like due to the fact it's covered at AS, so do learn them

A natural monopoly is an example of a monopoly so you could use that as a valid example if asked, however you could also mention the routes themselves (except 'open-access' routes) become monopolies once franchises have been tendered, e.g. Virgin Trains service Manchester -> London, is a monopolistic route until the franchise comes up for lease again.

Yes, you can state the lack of non-renewable resources which would be depleted, and also noise pollution, air pollution, visual intrusion, congestion, stress and accidents, but also the use of land. There is limited space to build on and so land, the scarce resource it is, would be used up. There is an opportunity cost, would the land have had a better use?
You can also say the divergence between the MPC and MSC will increase due to an increase in external costs

Yes, define market failure and say that the full social cost is not being paid for the goods/services that cause negative externalites, due to insufficient information on the magnitude of the neg. externality. Consumers only account for the private cost. There is over consumption/over production of the good/service.

Examples that could be used: London, Singapore, Stockholm, Durham
In general the numbers of cars on the road has decreased in these areas. The systems vary, London uses number plate recognition and a fixed fee; Singapore a 'tag and beacon' system (a pay machine in the car is deducted funds when entering congestion zones) the fee is variable dependent on the day and peak/off-peak hours; Stockholm uses a similar system to Singapore but also uses ANPR like London (Automatic Number Plate Recognition); and Durham uses a barrier to close off a stretch of street in the centre a fee is paid to enter the stretch of road, it has affectively made turned the road into a pedestrianised area.
Evaluate the cost implications of such schemes, for example London spends 50% of generated income on admin and policing.
You can also say that driving has become more pleasurable and visitors enjoy less noise and air pollution. However schemes could deter business activity from the area and reduce domestic and international competitiveness.

For the second of those two questions you would simply write about the schemes, how they work, how they compare (variable/flat rate - offpeak/peak etc) whereas the first is more detailed including external costs/benefits.

I hope that has helped :smile:

Thank you so much!!
I might have a few more questions on the last chapter when ive finished revising that, but other than its just mainly memorising and learning everything and past papers :smile:

are you taking this exam? or are you a teacher?

hows everyone elses revision going?
jkkk32
Thank you so much!!
I might have a few more questions on the last chapter when ive finished revising that, but other than its just mainly memorising and learning everything and past papers :smile:

are you taking this exam? or are you a teacher?

hows everyone elses revision going?

I'm taking the exam and I think everyone's revision is going okay but it's all a but rushed and last minute lol
Reply 10
rish.aggarwal158
I'm taking the exam and I think everyone's revision is going okay but it's all a but rushed and last minute lol

Hi, yeah a couple of other points i was confused about:

'Discuss how the cost-benefit approach compares with private sector methods of appraisal'
'Comparison of cost benefit and commercial approaches'

What are these private sector methods? I only know about CBA??
I know its been improved to cover Environmental Impact Assesment but this is just a modification right? So im not sure what the other policies are?

Discuss how transport policy seeks to deal with current transport problems and issues such as congestion in the UK and elsewhere

-it looks as how best to forecast future demand, how the organise the transport system, how to deal with growing congestion and other negative externalities and how to allocate government spending.
-structure of transport operations - determining responsibilities of public and private sector
-regulation of transport operations: extent of relative roles of government and the market
-control of infrastructure

-support for road schemes that reduce congestion, consistent with polluter pays principle
-tightening on road transport emissions
-road haulage liberalised since 1998
-single open skies policy
-funding trans european networks - channel tunnel etc

I dont really know how you answer this, how transport policy is actually dealing with current problems?? Is this correct?

'Discuss how transport policy can meet future needs and requirements, including recent EU policy initiatives in areas such as freight transport

Eddington report
-focus policy and sustained investment on existing transport networks
-give priority to relieving congestion in congested and growing areas
-invest in improving gateways between UK and other parts of EU
-getting the price right
-set uo a new independent planning commision to take decisions on strategic projects

Command Paper in Oct 2007
-maximise competitiveness and productivity
-address climate change by cutting C02 emissions
-protect peoples safety, security and health
-improve quality of life through reducing transport negative impacts
-promote greater equality of opportunity, in particular through provision of effective access
Similar to before, concentate on most congested areas, additional emphasis on public transport, small scale schemes represent excellent value for money so bus lanes, park and ride etc.

-congestion charging back by investment in public transport
-national road pricing has potential
-climate change so need for more sustainable policy

Freight
-increase maximum weight of goods vehicles, could see longer vehicles aswell
-heavy good vehicles taxed if least envionmentally acceptable
-cutting down food miles

Common Transport Policy
-liberalisation
-harmonisation

Is this all correct? Is it answering that question okay?
If you could help with these points that would be much appreciated
thank you!
Reply 11
jkkk32
Hi, yeah a couple of other points i was confused about:

'Discuss how the cost-benefit approach compares with private sector methods of appraisal'
'Comparison of cost benefit and commercial approaches'

What are these private sector methods? I only know about CBA??
I know its been improved to cover Environmental Impact Assesment but this is just a modification right? So im not sure what the other policies are?

Would the private methods not just mean firms making decisions based on private costs and benefits?
What do your teachers think the last Qn's will be on Any help?
Reply 13
Does anyone know the difference between 'road pricing', 'road user charging' and 'congestion charging' ??
Reply 14
rev_pain
Would the private methods not just mean firms making decisions based on private costs and benefits?

Oh is that what it meant? thank you
Reply 15
Do you reckon studying the text book is enough? i mean do you have to go outside the text book to get an A?
Reply 16
I'm mainly going with the textbook so i think thats ok. looked at a few extra bits from class etc. but the textbook seems to cover it all. but really i think its gona be down to getting a good understandable section A so as not to lose silly marks and then hopefully some good choices for the section B question aswell.
Anyones teachers predicted any topics they reckon will come up?
Reply 17
in the 35 mark essay do the ask a question from chapter 4,5,6 or can the choose anything? and also how do you answer those 20 markers! i mean the 15 mark bit is just explaining but once uve explain you cant really use the same graph again
rev_pain
Does anyone know the difference between 'road pricing', 'road user charging' and 'congestion charging' ??

road pricing is charging the user for the usage of a particular road at a given time regardless of how much space is on it, i.e. congested or not

road user charging is charging all users no matter where they travel, however rates could be fixed or be variable and charge different rates in different areas and at peak times

congestion charging is charging the user for the usage of typically congested routes where the road is no longer in 'free flow' and so demand is equal to or greater than supply
wtf92
in the 35 mark essay do the ask a question from chapter 4,5,6 or can the choose anything? and also how do you answer those 20 markers! i mean the 15 mark bit is just explaining but once uve explain you cant really use the same graph again

the 20 and 15 mark questions are on the same topic however arent the same question but in more detail so other diagrams would be used anyway, however there is nothing stopping you using the same diagram just as long as you evaluate for the 20 marker

Latest

Trending

Trending