The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology AS/A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blush.ox
anyone know how exactly you're meant to go round preparing for the section B on the research methods paper, im soooo confused and i seriously have no idea :/

Is this for AS or A2? If it's for A2, I'd strongly advise revising issues and debates e.g. determinism vs. free-will, psychology as a science, ethnocentrism........etc, and studies associated with these, as the only thing that has come up so far on section B the A2 Research methods paper are the perspectives and approaches.
Reply 61
Original post by Introverted moron
Is this for AS or A2? If it's for A2, I'd strongly advise revising issues and debates e.g. determinism vs. free-will, psychology as a science, ethnocentrism........etc, and studies associated with these, as the only thing that has come up so far on section B the A2 Research methods paper are the perspectives and approaches.

yep its for A2 :/
so would it be better to revise these and definitely have links with studies as preparation then, only theres only so many i could link and then actually remember, if that makes sense :tongue:
From what i saw while looking at the 3 past papers (jan,june-2010 and jan-2011) is that they ALWAYS seem to have one question based on an approach/perspective and then one on the remaining sections like methods/issue etc..
I was thinking about whether or not it would be safe to base a large amount of revision on the approaches Q, because i find these easier to answer, as there is bound to be 1 question on it, keeping in mind that they keep the exam in the same format in june :s-smilie:.....im not sure about this though :/....plan on asking my teacher after the hols
yep its for A2 :/
so would it be better to revise these and definitely have links with studies as preparation then, only theres only so many i could link and then actually remember, if that makes sense :tongue:
From what i saw while looking at the 3 past papers (jan,june-2010 and jan-2011) is that they ALWAYS seem to have one question based on an approach/perspective and then one on the remaining sections like methods/issue etc..
I was thinking about whether or not it would be safe to base a large amount of revision on the approaches Q, because i find these easier to answer, as there is bound to be 1 question on it, keeping in mind that they keep the exam in the same format in june :s-smilie:.....im not sure about this though :/....plan on asking my teacher after the hols

Now I don't want to sound like I'm backtracking here :tongue:, but when I said revise to the issues/debates, I didn't mean that you should revise those exclusively as there's always a risk associated with basing your revision going on the content of past exams (that said, OCR do seem to be quite predictable when it comes to psychology :rolleyes:). I would say revise everything that could come up, including the approaches and perspectives, but place extra emphasis on the issues and debates. Also, remember that you only have to choose one question to answer in Section B out of the two available.

......and of course, ask your teacher for their opinion! :redface: :cool:
Reply 63
Now I don't want to sound like I'm backtracking here :tongue:, but when I said revise to the issues/debates, I didn't mean that you should revise those exclusively as there's always a risk associated with basing your revision going on the content of past exams (that said, OCR do seem to be quite predictable when it comes to psychology :rolleyes:). I would say revise everything that could come up, including the approaches and perspectives, but place extra emphasis on the issues and debates. Also, remember that you only have to choose one question to answer in Section B out of the two available.

......and of course, ask your teacher for their opinion! :redface: :cool:

yeh i know what you mean :tongue: in conclusion just revise everything i guess :rolleyes:
yeh you only have to choose one Q which is why if they go according to past papers i would then obviously answer the approaches one :lol:..but its true even though they're predictable i wouldnt want to risk it :erm:
It just seems alot considering the options paper as well :redface:
have you started revision for this paper?
yeh i know what you mean :tongue: in conclusion just revise everything i guess :rolleyes:
yeh you only have to choose one Q which is why if they go according to past papers i would then obviously answer the approaches one :lol:..but its true even though they're predictable i wouldnt want to risk it :erm:
It just seems alot considering the options paper as well :redface:
have you started revision for this paper?

Not for the options paper, I haven't. I'd much rather concentrate on my other (admittedly harder) exams and revise for this later. I can remember most of the health & clinical research, but the forensic stuff has completely deserted my mind. :redface: I took the Research Methods paper in January, so that's one less burden to carry. :tongue:
Reply 65
Not for the options paper, I haven't. I'd much rather concentrate on my other (admittedly harder) exams and revise for this later. I can remember most of the health & clinical research, but the forensic stuff has completely deserted my mind. :redface: I took the Research Methods paper in January, so that's one less burden to carry. :tongue:

I've been doing it on and off for the options one, because i keep forgetting all the studies :redface:...and same here, i find the health alot easier to remember for some reason, crime seems impossible :redface:.
:gasp: im officially jealous and annoyed at the fact that you've already done it :tongue:
I wish we had too :erm:....did you just use AS studies then? what did you get? :smile:
I've been doing it on and off for the options one, because i keep forgetting all the studies :redface:...and same here, i find the health alot easier to remember for some reason, crime seems impossible :redface:.
:gasp: im officially jealous and annoyed at the fact that you've already done it :tongue:
I wish we had too :erm:....did you just use AS studies then? what did you get? :smile:

Yeah, I can vaguely remember some of the forensic stuff like cognitive interviews and offender profiling, but don't ask me to go into the details! :redface:

Our college were kind enough to give us an option of sitting the research methods paper 'early'. I grasped that rare opportunity to get another exam out of the way with both hands :biggrin:. I'm glad I did as well 'cos I came out with an A, and of course, it lifts some of the pressure too 'cos June is going to be a huge pressure cooker. :redface:

Aww, I'm sure you'll do fine. In some ways, there's more of an advantage to sitting the paper in June rather than January because you'll have consolidated your knowledge of all parts of the spec and have a wider scope of research to use as evidence for your points due to having revised the research for the options paper. I had to rely quite heavily on the AS studies for my answers, though I did refer to one or two studies from A2.
Reply 67
Yeah, I can vaguely remember some of the forensic stuff like cognitive interviews and offender profiling, but don't ask me to go into the details! :redface:

Our college were kind enough to give us an option of sitting the research methods paper 'early'. I grasped that rare opportunity to get another exam out of the way with both hands :biggrin:. I'm glad I did as well 'cos I came out with an A, and of course, it lifts some of the pressure too 'cos June is going to be a huge pressure cooker. :redface:

Aww, I'm sure you'll do fine. In some ways, there's more of an advantage to sitting the paper in June rather than January because you'll have consolidated your knowledge of all parts of the spec and have a wider scope of research to use as evidence for your points due to having revised the research for the options paper. I had to rely quite heavily on the AS studies for my answers, though I did refer to one or two studies from A2.

I loved psychology at AS (ok i didnt love i but it was ok-ish :rolleyes:) but now theres just too much, i have a rubbish memory and i just dont know how its going to work out this year, soo worried :redface:

well done on your A thats awesome :biggrin:....i feel like im drifting further and further away from an A this year, it will honestly be a miracle if i somehow pull it off :unsure:..
At the moment june seems a distant nightmare, first week of easters almost finished and i've done less than half of what i should have lol

i dont think i'll be using the AS studies at all, i've hardly looked at them, i'll just stick to this years and our teacher said thats fine :tongue:

what other subjects do you do? :tongue:
I loved psychology at AS (ok i didnt love i but it was ok-ish :rolleyes:) but now theres just too much, i have a rubbish memory and i just dont know how its going to work out this year, soo worried :redface:

well done on your A thats awesome :biggrin:....i feel like im drifting further and further away from an A this year, it will honestly be a miracle if i somehow pull it off :unsure:..
At the moment june seems a distant nightmare, first week of easters almost finished and i've done less than half of what i should have lol

i dont think i'll be using the AS studies at all, i've hardly looked at them, i'll just stick to this years and our teacher said thats fine :tongue:

what other subjects do you do? :tongue:

:hugs:

I know what you mean. We only had 15 studies to remember for AS and now we have almost 5 times that amount to remember! :eek: Talk about memory overload!

I share your pain. I never quite manage to do everything that I want to get done for the day, which wrecks my revision plan for the next day. :tongue: I was meant to start stats revision on Monday, but still haven't got started on it and the exam's in just over a month's time. :redface:

I do biology and maths (and critical thinking, but no-one seems to care about that one :lol:).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
:hugs:

I know what you mean. We only had 15 studies to remember for AS and now we have almost 5 times that amount to remember! :eek: Talk about memory overload!

I share your pain. I never quite manage to do everything that I want to get done for the day, which wrecks my revision plan for the next day. :tongue: I was meant to start stats revision on Monday, but still haven't got started on it and the exam's in just over a month's time. :redface:

I do biology and maths (and critical thinking, but no-one seems to care about that one :lol:).

i know right :sad:

i've come to the point where im not bothering with my plan because it never work out :tongue:

i did maths AS and then couldnt do it this year :lol:
i do bio too and i absolutely hate it :mad2: lol
edexcel by any chance?
i know right :sad:

i've come to the point where im not bothering with my plan because it never work out :tongue:

i did maths AS and then couldnt do it this year :lol:
i do bio too and i absolutely hate it :mad2: lol
edexcel by any chance?

I think I've nearly reached that point; think I'll start going with the flow a bit more. :cool:

I'm starting to dislike maths too- well, just the last pure maths unit, C4, which is in a completely different league of its own to the other 3 pure units. It is actually impossible. :sad: I only wanted an A. :cry: :redface:

Nope, even worse. It's with AQA. :lol:
Reply 71
I think I've nearly reached that point; think I'll start going with the flow a bit more. :cool:

I'm starting to dislike maths too- well, just the last pure maths unit, C4, which is in a completely different league of its own to the other 3 pure units. It is actually impossible. :sad: I only wanted an A. :cry: :redface:

Nope, even worse. It's with AQA. :lol:

i need to stop procrastinating tbh :sad:
lol only an A :tongue:.....i couldnt even dream of doing maths again this year, i was just waiting n waiting for AS to be over so i could drop it :redface:

actually i think edexcel is pulling ahead there :smug:
its torture :puppyeyes:

planning on making notes for psychology-debates today :awesome:

:colonhash:
i need to stop procrastinating tbh :sad:
lol only an A :tongue:.....i couldnt even dream of doing maths again this year, i was just waiting n waiting for AS to be over so i could drop it :redface:

actually i think edexcel is pulling ahead there :smug:
its torture :puppyeyes:

planning on making notes for psychology-debates today :awesome:

:colonhash:

As do I - I'm currently on a 'break', but really I'm just on TSR because I really don't want to have to do this biology essay. :redface:

Lol - that's how I felt with chemistry and German last year. Couldn't wait to drop them like a hot plate (bad simile, I know :colondollar:).

Trust me, when it comes to biology, there is no worse exam board to be with than AQA. Half the questions don't even make any sense. :facepalm:

Eurgh.......psychology. The longer I go without revising for it, the more I worry that I'm leaving it too late. :/
Reply 73
As do I - I'm currently on a 'break', but really I'm just on TSR because I really don't want to have to do this biology essay. :redface:

Lol - that's how I felt with chemistry and German last year. Couldn't wait to drop them like a hot plate (bad simile, I know :colondollar:).

Trust me, when it comes to biology, there is no worse exam board to be with than AQA. Half the questions don't even make any sense. :facepalm:

Eurgh.......psychology. The longer I go without revising for it, the more I worry that I'm leaving it too late. :/

lol i've just started a 'lil break' which will probably turn into a very long one as it does :colonhash:
arrrgh biology is just..i dont have words, i've not looked at it at all since the hols began :redface:...i plan on starting bio tomorrow lol

i actually dont mind chem, it makes sense most of the time :ninja:
lol edexcel questions dont even care about actual bio, in terms of the theory :lolwut:

ah bless you, i've started to make progress, well abit :colonhash: done the first two health chapters and the first one for crime, need to hurry up though, options paper is my 3rd exam :redface: i just cant remember all the friking studies :mad2:
Reply 74
Original post by c0nfus3d
I've heard knowledge of A2 studies is vital, as the paper is synoptic. A2 studies are essential for top grades! :s-smilie:

I did the A2 research methods exam in Jan, with no knowledge of the A2 studies (as im doing that exam in june) and came out with an A (90%), so theres no need to worry! using the AS studies is fine as long as you back up your points correctly, with the relevant studies and in enough detail :smile:
Reply 75
I'm doing doing the OCR board psychology when i transfer college this year, any tips as for what to knuckle down best on from the get go? what to drum into myself and all sorts. reading material and such?
Thanks x
Reply 76
I've just been looked at the OCR G543 past papers for Jan & June 2010.

Do you think it would be wise to focus less on the topics which have already come up on the past papers when revising? For example "Describe anger management as a treatment for offenders", would it make sense to revise anger management now?

Anyway, so far I've revised the forensic psychology textbook and i'm halfway through health & clinical psychology .. (which we haven't even started at school yet!)

So hows the revision going for you guys? :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by gilmoregirls1992
Yeah it is unlikely stress won't come up because two questions were on it in the January paper but OCR might put in anyway...
arghhh
I hate Forensice...reaching a veridct...

Do you mean it is unlikely stress will come up again?

And yeah I hate reaching a verdict ! :|
Reply 78
I'm doing forensic and health and clinical psychology.

For the exam, does anyone know the layout of it? Like will I have a choice of questions to answer?
I say this, because if it's say, answer 3 of the 4 questions covering each sub topic, I could cut alot out.

Does that make sense?

I can't look on the OCR website as it's down at the moment til the 26th apperentley, and I know the paper has changed slightly from previous years.

Oh, and

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by lola18
I did the A2 research methods exam in Jan, with no knowledge of the A2 studies (as im doing that exam in june) and came out with an A (90%), so theres no need to worry! using the AS studies is fine as long as you back up your points correctly, with the relevant studies and in enough detail :smile:

It's alright, I'm done with Psychology A level. Finished it ages back :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending