The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

morecambebay
What was with the kid who turned down the scholarship?

Why did he even go for it in the first place?

Applying for public school scholarships is a bit like putting in a UCAS application - you don't just apply to one place. He'd applied to several other schools including Eton which is apparently where he went. Eton has a very famous and talented choir master called Ralph Allwood who would be a big attraction to any chorister looking for a senior school.
Reply 161
toofaforu
i've seen him around, but didn't know he was a scholar. they should do something similiar at Harrow like Eton do for KS.

i meant what house/year were you in at Eton.

I very much doubt he went to Eton as he name drops too much. If he did, he's a par venu.
JCM89
I very much doubt he went to Eton as he name drops too much. If he did, he's a par venu.

Erm, no, no I don't. Please point me to a post where I supposedly name drop. Every post I've made with the word Eton has usually been defending Etonians or answering a question (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?searchid=18667846)
Reply 163
Lord_Farquad
Erm, no, no I don't. Please point me to a post where I supposedly name drop. Every post I've made with the word Eton has usually been defending Etonians or answering a question (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?searchid=18667846)

Read back through this thread. Oh no, you edited the two posts out already... you posted 'Floreat Etona down with Harrow' when no-one had criticised Eton. Hardly defending Eton or answering a question.

toofaforu

i meant what house/year were you in at Eton.

Care to answer?

Liar or par venu?
JCM89
Read back through this thread. Oh no, you edited the two posts out already... you posted 'Floreat Etona down with Harrow' when no-one had criticised Eton. Hardly defending Eton or answering a question.

Care to answer?

Liar or par venu?

I edited those last night.....before you posted.

And I already did answer him, yesterday via PM.
JCM89

Care to answer?

Liar or par venu?

he replied to me with a pm, which is fair enough. i don't think you should really that that quote too seriously... etonians tend to have friendly banter with the far superior school harrow.
toofaforu
he replied to me with a pm, which is fair enough. i don't think you should really that that quote too seriously... etonians tend to have friendly banter with the far superior school harrow.

Exactly this. It was friendly banter. I edited it last night upon realizing that it would probably be misinterpreted by those on here....which it evidently was.

I won't lie though, I am jealous of the Harrovian's boaters. Great for summer living. :biggrin:
Reply 167
I would have loved to have gone to a school like Harrow or Eton, the only problem being of course that they cost a ridiculous sum of money. It's a real shame that so many of our state schools appear to be dire although there is clearly more to it than just the pedogogical standards in such schools. There are some areas, especially inner city areas, where an air of despair and hopelesness just seems to hang in every street.

To all those who "hate" Krishan and are mocking him why exactly are you doing that? Unlike some of the others he seemed to take a genuine interest in intellectual activity, was the least pushed by his parents, and had what I thought was an individual personality. At least his primary reason for applying wasn't "because my Dad wants me to go to Oxford" as was the case with one of the boys.

I think the scholarship itself is a good idea. It is a little uncomfortable to see children fighting it out over a school place but it has to be better than giving no opportunity. I do agree with something that was said earlier in the thread however that Beckwith could do much more good by ploughing money into local state schools.
Copacetic
I would have loved to have gone to a school like Harrow or Eton, the only problem being of course that they cost a ridiculous sum of money. It's a real shame that so many of our state schools appear to be dire although there is clearly more to it than just the pedogogical standards in such schools. There are some areas, especially inner city areas, where an air of despair and hopelesness just seems to hang in every street.

To all those who "hate" Krishan and are mocking him why exactly are you doing that? Unlike some of the others he seemed to take a genuine interest in intellectual activity, was the least pushed by his parents, and had what I thought was an individual personality. At least his primary reason for applying wasn't "because my Dad wants me to go to Oxford" as was the case with one of the boys.

I think the scholarship itself is a good idea. It is a little uncomfortable to see children fighting it out over a school place but it has to be better than giving no opportunity. I do agree with something that was said earlier in the thread however that Beckwith could do much more good by ploughing money into local state schools.

Both Eton and Harrow offer scholarships to those who can prove themselves. Eton offers a kings scholarship so even those who can't afford the tuition can attend.

And I agree with your thoughts on Krishan. He was the least pushed and was clearly the most interested. The only reason people here seem to hate him is that he speaks properly and is likely smarter than them.
Reply 169
Copacetic
I do agree with something that was said earlier in the thread however that Beckwith could do much more good by ploughing money into local state schools.

How far would about £300k pa go in state schools? I'm not convinced that the level of funding Beckwith offers doesn't make more of a difference by helping a few get a very good education, rather than improving things slightly for a lot of students.

Lord_Farquad
And I agree with your thoughts on Krishan. He was the least pushed and was clearly the most interested. The only reason people here seem to hate him is that he speaks properly and is likely smarter than them.

His precociousness did, unfortunately, come across rather poorly. Hopefully a good education will help mellow him a little.
BJack
How far would about £300k pa go in state schools? I'm not convinced that the level of funding Beckwith offers doesn't make more of a difference by helping a few get a very good education, rather than improving things slightly for a lot of students.

I agree.

I think the Sutton Trust's scheme at the Belvedere Girls' School in Liverpool was a better case study for the benefits that sponsorship can bring - from 2000-2008 30% of all students had their fees paid by the Trust and 70% got some of their fees paid. The school has the best exam results on Merseyside and has now become an academy so that no students have to pay fees.
BJack

His precociousness did, unfortunately, come across rather poorly. Hopefully a good education will help mellow him a little.

Over the years Beckwith has spent around 8 million pounds sponsoring boys. You put that amount of extra money into any school and you would find it makes a hell of a lot of difference.
Reply 172
puddlejumper
Over the years Beckwith has spent around 8 million pounds sponsoring boys. You put that amount of extra money into any school and you would find it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Putting the money into state schools is like backing a lame horse. You can make the school as nice as you want but they are still going to go home to their single mum with their 10 different brothers and sisters all of different colours. The fact of the matter is that the key difference is having a family that gives a damn.
Reply 173
Lord_Farquad

Probably true but I just lol'd when he was showing the camera his favourite books and brings out the oxford thesaurous :biggrin:.
Elipsis
Putting the money into state schools is like backing a lame horse. You can make the school as nice as you want but they are still going to go home to their single mum with their 10 different brothers and sisters all of different colours. The fact of the matter is that the key difference is having a family that gives a damn.

So why bother trying?

We may as well close all the schools except those for rich kids and let the poor sit in the gutter where they belong.
Iepnauy
Probably true but I just lol'd when he was showing the camera his favourite books and brings out the oxford thesaurous :biggrin:.

I actually couldn't stop laughing when he used the word 'jubilant' I wanted to high five him :frown:
Elipsis

pretty much sums it up. £8 million, even in to one school, will make no real difference to the long term quality of the education.
Orichalon
pretty much sums it up. £8 million, even in to one school, will make no real difference to the long term quality of the education.

Really? How do you come to that conclusion?

Beckwith is handing over £60,000 per year to Harrow, so if he gave that money to his local primary school which has around 200 pupils it could mean the headteacher being able to employ two extra teachers per year and thus have smaller classes. A factor which has been shown to be a pulling point for private schools is small class sizes so presumably there would be a benefit there.

In addition with the money left over the school could provide extra books, or musical instruments for kids who wouldn't normally be able to take part. They could arrange day trips and take the kids to local sites of interest.

Only an idiot would believe that the money wouldn't make a difference. Either that or they have no idea about the budget of a normal primary school.
puddlejumper
Really? How do you come to that conclusion?

Beckwith is handing over £60,000 per year to Harrow, so if he gave that money to his local primary school which has around 200 pupils it could mean the headteacher being able to employ two extra teachers per year and thus have smaller classes. A factor which has been shown to be a pulling point for private schools is small class sizes so presumably there would be a benefit there.

In addition with the money left over the school could provide extra books, or musical instruments for kids who wouldn't normally be able to take part. They could arrange day trips and take the kids to local sites of interest.

Only an idiot would believe that the money wouldn't make a difference. Either that or they have no idea about the budget of a normal primary school.

Only an idiot would believe that that sort of money would make a significant long term difference. For a start, you'd be stupid to give it to a primary school - it would make a more significant difference at a secondary, and, as we're talking about harrow it would be best to assume that the money would go to a secondary school. Therefore, it would have close to 1,000 boys (assuming it had a 6th form).

Say a school employs around 50 teachers, with 1,000 pupils. Assuming that each teacher is constantly teaching, a class size would be around 20. Employing 2 extra teachers would reduce the class size to 19 - big difference, huh?

Plus, the two extra teachers won't necessarily be any good - smaller class sizes are a pulling point for private schools, sure, but the quality of the teaching staff is also, rather obviously, intrinsically linked to the quality of teaching. If a state school can offer £30,000/year as a starting salary (I think it's more like £25k), and a private school can offer £40k, who do you think will get the best teachers? The state school would need £500,000 or so to offer £10k more for each of their 50 teachers.

I'd much rather £60k was spent ensuring that a few of the very brightest in the country got the best education possible than increasing the education quality for 1,000 pupils by a negligible amount.
the first interview is just:s-smilie: i am happy that all three kids got scholarship.

Latest

Trending

Trending