The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter Uni really as posh as people say?

I've received an offer from Exeter, but come from a very working-class background and go to a comprehensive school, but after doing a little more research into the university I see so many people talking about how it's full of posh, arrogant students with rich parents alongside dead nightlife and nothing to do. I'm a very social person, but I'm worried that I won't fit in with a completely different group of people, that they'll splash loads of cash on going out and I won't have the funds to keep up, etc.

Could I get some opinions from students attending Exeter?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've received an offer from Exeter, but come from a very working-class background and go to a comprehensive school, but after doing a little more research into the university I see so many people talking about how it's full of posh, arrogant students with rich parents alongside dead nightlife and nothing to do. I'm a very social person, but I'm worried that I won't fit in with a completely different group of people, that they'll splash loads of cash on going out and I won't have the funds to keep up, etc.

Thanks

I rushed this, sorry for the weird sentence structure and grammatical errors lol
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Exeter does have a reputation for being posh, and it’s not completely unearned; it’s got one of the highest rates of privately educated students in the UK. That said, that’s definitely not everyone here, many people in my course and the societies I’m in come from working class backgrounds, so it’s all about finding people who you mesh with. As for nightlife, we certainly don’t have a huge nightlife, especially compared to larger cities like Bristol, Leeds, London etc., but there are a few clubs and bars that are good. So not huge, but present. Hope that helps, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3

I’m part of HandS (Hide and Seek Society) and GameSoc (Board Game society). I’ve had a great time as part of both, especially HandS which runs socials multiple times a week that contain a variety of ‘drama’/childhood games.
Quick edit: HandS also runs larger events each term, like Assassins, Zombies etc., as well as running Taskmaster socials every couple of weeks where people compete to complete tasks and earn points.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4

Yup, GameSoc is a good time; they also run TTRPG one-shots, as well as Magic the Gathering and other card games.

HandS socials involve a bunch of childhood games, like bulldog, capture the flag, as well as other games like Ninja, Splat etc. It’s a good way to relax and decompress.
Original post by tw559
I’m part of HandS (Hide and Seek Society) and GameSoc (Board Game society). I’ve had a great time as part of both, especially HandS which runs socials multiple times a week that contain a variety of ‘drama’/childhood games.
Quick edit: HandS also runs larger events each term, like Assassins, Zombies etc., as well as running Taskmaster socials every couple of weeks where people compete to complete tasks and earn points.

Holy **** a hide and seek society sounds fun as hell hahaha

Thanks

literally same, im firming exeter!

what are you going to study?

also if u also firm and we both get in we can be working class together 😭!

we can budget together and everything! I did see a tiktok of a girl who goes to exeter and i commented is it really as posh as it seems and she responded with no once you get here youd prob like it, so im guessing theres a balance between posh and non posh😭
Original post by comprehensive
Holy **** a hide and seek society sounds fun as hell hahaha

im definitely gonna join that, might be a big target but ill fine somewhere to hide🥲😂!
hi, just a few questions with no pressure to answer just nervous about not fitting in. - How prevalent are the sporting societies there, like can u make friends if u don't do sport?- what is your judgement on the lgbt scene, like are there a lot of lgbt students? (I completely understand if u have no idea)
Reply 9
Original post by studnet92472920
hi, just a few questions with no pressure to answer just nervous about not fitting in. - How prevalent are the sporting societies there, like can u make friends if u don't do sport?- what is your judgement on the lgbt scene, like are there a lot of lgbt students? (I completely understand if u have no idea)

Sporting societies do exist, and are fairly large, but it's definitely possible to make friends if you don't do sports; making friends through your course, or through non-sport societies (of which there are many, a full list can be found here) is certainly an option, and what I did! As for the LGBTQ+ scene, from my experience (though I know other people do have varying experiences) there's a fairly active LGBTQ+ scene. Society wise, there's 2; the Queer and BAME society, and the LGBTQ+ society (whom I'm friends with the president of). Hope that helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Isn't there a state school society there or something? Either way, I always find these kind of threads weird. The proportion of public schoolers there is something like 35%, the same as Durham - yet people on TSR act like these places are the refreshments tent at Guards Polo Club. Even Royal Agri and the Courthald are around the 40% mark - state schoolers vastly outnumber at these places.

The other thing to bear in mind is the type of course - things like Ancient History, Classics, Music, Literature and Modern Languages are going to be chock full of public schoolgirls- subjects like Engineering, Maths, Medicine, Economics, Law are going to be like any other place.

If someone is walking around seeing toffs everywhere, it's probably because you're looking for them - and because it's a fairly good university for sports which will make them more visible. They'll be everywhere in their stash for Rugby, Rowing, Polo, Hockey, Lacrosse, Shooting and Sailing and because they are dressed as such (or carrying hockey sticks / polo mallets they'll be identifiable as students)- on the other hand there are almost certainly relatively fewer public schoolkids in E-sports, Hide & Seek (see above), Board Games, Bitcoin Soc etc - but you are by definition not going to see them around as much because they'll be indoors playing their games and I expect that having stash for Hide & Seek society would defeat the object.
Reply 11
Yeah, Exeter's reputation is largely born out of the fact that is it very good for sports, plus reputation feeds reputation. And there is a state school society! It's called the 93% Society (referencing the fact that while 93% of students are state educated, ~65% of the students at Exeter are state educated). And yeah, the less 'posh' societies do tend to be more affordable for membership fees, which generally mean less larger events (though you will see HandS running large events, since they're cheap to put on). And HandS does have stash, though trying to find them wearing it is still pretty difficult :P
About a third of students at Exeter were privately educated.

Which is a lot. But it's still well below half. As a state school student, you'll be in the majority.
Original post by tw559
Sporting societies do exist, and are fairly large, but it's definitely possible to make friends if you don't do sports; making friends through your course, or through non-sport societies (of which there are many, a full list can be found here) is certainly an option, and what I did! As for the LGBTQ+ scene, from my experience (though I know other people do have varying experiences) there's a fairly active LGBTQ+ scene. Society wise, there's 2; the Queer and BAME society, and the LGBTQ+ society (whom I'm friends with the president of). Hope that helps!

thanks that certainly did help. Just a few more things if u don't mind, is it possible to do sport casually? (like if I wanted to do a sport recreationally) also, are the posh/non-posh divide noticable on campus or does everyone just get on?
Reply 14
Original post by studnet92472920
thanks that certainly did help. Just a few more things if u don't mind, is it possible to do sport casually? (like if I wanted to do a sport recreationally) also, are the posh/non-posh divide noticable on campus or does everyone just get on?

It's certainly possible to do sports recreationally; you can join societies non-competitively, or find groups outside of university/just play with friends, as well as use the university facilities. There's also more casual sporting societies, such as Bench Ball society, Cool Runnings (a casual running society) and Dodgeball society, who do both casual and competitive dodgeball. I personally do Bouldering and Climbing recreationally, even though I'm not part of the Climbing Society. And the posh/non-posh divide isn't noticeable as far as I've been able to tell; people often get along with who they get along with, and background doesn't really play into that.
In my experience, It's very pompous, particularly the professors. Students are friendly but there's a noticeable lack of diversity. So many clerical errors and staff will never apologise and accept any accountability. Overall I wouldn't recommend it, but having a degree from Exeter does 'feel prestige(ish)'.

Thanks

Check out this review bud. Written by an ex student: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7380160&p=98678151#post98678151

Just one individual's view - I wouldn't pay much attention to it

Thanks

Hi, I'm assuming you've already completed your first year at Exeter seeing from when you posted this. I am going into Exeter this September and share your same worries. Has it been what you expected and were your worries valid?
Reply 19
Hi, I'm assuming you've already completed your first year at Exeter seeing from when you posted this. I am going into Exeter this September and share your same worries. Has it been what you expected and were your worries valid?

Nah I took a gap year, I'm going this year. I have spoken to a few people who go there and I reckon we'll be okay.

My gameplan is to meet as many people as possible and just see who I get on best with lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending