The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I keep seeing that building and it baffles me as to where it is, I'm still none the wiser. I thought it was in Elephant and Castle but I was there the other day and I didn't see it. It's pretty ugly and irritating as it's outside the 2 main clusters (The City and Docklands) so it unbalances London's skyline. The Shard is beautiful, can't wait until that's finished, Heron Tower looks really good too, quite a solid and unassuming building.
Reply 41
WBoy92
That ugly block its right next to lets it down

Haha... What you mean.... London? Yeah, I guess it sucks. It's really sucks that only big rich boys will walk in and out of it. We shall just sit and stare.
To me London does lack true skyscrapers, even that is not really a true skyscraper, not by modern standards.
Casse
Estimated completion: 2012
London Bridge Street

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_London_Bridge

Any comparative height estimates? As tall as the Gherkin?

It looks impressive but in 10 years time it'll look like a dreadful, as usual.
Because what we need in London is yet another eyesore.

Great.
My first impression of this building was the tower in HL2.

Skyscrapers are fine, I only think they look odd in London due to the current lack of them. **** anyone that would rather we cover the whole country in pointless buildings than build upwards.

Also my favourite city in the world, Vancouver, has plenty and it looks great.
Reply 46
8% is not a lot, but at least its a start.
Reply 47
I like the design, where is it in London though? looks like a fairly low key area. I don't see why some people have a hysterial reaction to skyscrapers, this is hardly like the concrete tower block monstrosities the government infected all our cities with in the 1950s and 1960s.
It would be better if all skyscrapers where clustered in the same area to create a Manhatten type skyline effect and not just isolated towers in the middle of the slums.
Reply 49
CrookedLegs
Any comparative height estimates? As tall as the Gherkin?

It looks impressive but in 10 years time it'll look like a dreadful, as usual.

The Gherkin is 180m, the Shard will be 310m. The UK's current tallest building is 244m.

Although that doesn't show the Gherkin, it puts it in perspective.
Reply 50
Great another random skyscraper to destroy the London skyline. Fantastic.

I have no problem with building upwards. What I do have a problem with is building random imposing blocks of metal and glass where they don't belong. Keep the skyscrapers concentrated in Canary Wharf and the City, leave the rest of London scraper free.
I prefer The Shard, but that's not saying much.
really futuristic london needs more of these, but it looks likes its been placed in the middle of nowhere
I love it :lovedup2:

The white stripes :sogood:
Reply 54
Charzhino
It would be better if all skyscrapers where clustered in the same area to create a Manhatten type skyline effect and not just isolated towers in the middle of the slums.

Thats generally what they are doing, in the City and Canarf Wharf. Both of which will be transformed over the next five years with even more skyscrapers. The outliers like the Shard et al are just that, rare outliers.
Reply 55
Norfolkadam
I thought it was in Elephant and Castle but I was there the other day and I didn't see it

Um, look up? It's definitely in Elephant & Castle :p: I go past it every day on the way to uni. It does seem very out of place at the moment considering what a dump E&C is. Definitely deserves it's "Razor" nickname - looks an awful lot like those electric clippers they use at the barbers.
The future scares me greatly.
Reply 57
I really hate the Shard, and if people get me talking about it I get a bit too passionate about how innappropriate I think it is.
On the other hand I like this one :smile:
Awesome. London needs a lot more (attractive) skyscrapers. We need to build up rather than continue to pointlessly destroy the countryside around London. London really needs to get with the times!
Reply 59
The area where it is going looks like a dive :/

Latest

Trending

Trending