The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by HopefulMedic#1
Hi,
Recently I just sat my UKCAT and received 573. A terrible score. My AS grades are ABBB and my predic: AAA. I was not going to apply to medicine as I know there would be no chance of me getting a place.

But I wanted to ask, to apply to medicine in a gap year, would you need to have applied to medicine and had 4 rejections in the first place? Would that look better as it shows that you're determined?

Thanks

Doesn't really matter.
Reply 1981
Original post by aymanxy
i was reading about a requirement for medicine was medical screening? does anyone know if this includes drug testing?

Not usually. It means filling in an occupational health form and doing blood tests for various blood borne viruses.
Reply 1982
Original post by a_patel93
on the newcastle site, it says its needed when converting, yet the UKCAT site itself says it doesnt! im so confused! which do i believe!

Believe the Newcastle website. :smile:
Original post by Beska
Not usually. It means filling in an occupational health form and doing blood tests for various blood borne viruses.

Yeah the OP won't have to do urine tests or anything.
Reply 1984
If someone gets worse than a 2.2 is there any other way to get into Medicine?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1985
Original post by Oggz
If someone gets worse than a 2.2 is there any other way to get into Medicine?

By worse than a 2:2 do you mean a 3rd?
Reply 1986
Original post by Beska
By worse than a 2:2 do you mean a 3rd?

Yes, or failed.
Reply 1987
Original post by Oggz
Yes, or failed.

Not as far as I know, no.
Reply 1988
How does this work? Does the university sort the CRB check out once they have given you an offer or do you have to sort it out for yourself? If it's the latter, how would you go about doing this?
Thanks
Original post by Girl.
How does this work? Does the university sort the CRB check out once they have given you an offer or do you have to sort it out for yourself? If it's the latter, how would you go about doing this?
Thanks

They sort it for you - send you the forms to fill in and you send them back. Sometimes you have to pay though, depending on the uni! :frown:
I'm doing nursing and they're doing it for me, you just provide the details, so I'd assume its the same for medicine :smile:
Reply 1991
I already have an undergraduate degree, and have worked in the field for a bit. But I've start re-taking my A' levels with the intention of getting into medical school.

I'd like to know:
~What my chances of getting in are, and
~What exactly I'd have to do to facilitate the process.

Thanks.
Approximately....64.23%.
University prospectuses are your friend.
Reply 1994
Original post by irff
I already have an undergraduate degree, and have worked in the field for a bit. But I've start re-taking my A' levels with the intention of getting into medical school.

I'd like to know:
~What my chances of getting in are, and
~What exactly I'd have to do to facilitate the process.

Thanks.

Check out the FAQ: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Reply 1995
Original post by colabottles
They sort it for you - send you the forms to fill in and you send them back. Sometimes you have to pay though, depending on the uni! :frown:

Thanks! Just wanted to get that cleared up. Do you know which universities make you pay. [Out of curiosity of course, I'm not going to base my choices on it!]
Original post by digitalis
Approximately....64.23%.

Ehhh bit lower...maybe 64.21 (based on previous experiences, of course).
For medicine.

Are UCL and Cambridge the only medical schools which consider A2 module re sits as bad?
Reply 1998
Original post by telephone
For medicine.

Are UCL and Cambridge the only medical schools which consider A2 module re sits as bad?

As far as I know, yup.
How much does doing EPQ give the applicant an advantage?? (especially for the unis I've got in my sig?)

So would doing: physics, bio, chem and gen. studies
Be significantly worse than: physics, bio, chem and EPQ ??

By the way, if I did do EPQ, I wouldnt actually mention it in my personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending