The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ergo
When submitting your personal statement via UCAS, do you leave a line's spacing between each paragraph? If I do that my statement will be over the line limit.

You don't have to, it can be written as one long continuous prose. But it's a good idea to seperate it into paragraphs if you can imo :yep:
Reply 1181
Original post by Ergo
When submitting your personal statement via UCAS, do you leave a line's spacing between each paragraph? If I do that my statement will be over the line limit.

Better if you can put spaces between the paragraphs, to be fair. Otherwise it'll just be a huge wall of text.
I'm certain I will get AAB on results day, and certain circumstances mean I have to take a gap year this year.
Can I try to bump my b grade up to an A and aim for 1 or 2 AAA universities for the 2012 cycle.

How would it work would i get offers based on the 1 or 2 modules i would retake ?
Original post by boobooboob

Original post by boobooboob
I'm certain I will get AAB on results day, and certain circumstances mean I have to take a gap year this year.
Can I try to bump my b grade up to an A and aim for 1 or 2 AAA universities for the 2012 cycle.

How would it work would i get offers based on the 1 or 2 modules i would retake ?

Yes you can resit modules in order to get a AAA, however you have to beware that some medical schools don't like this and will disadvantage your application, whilst some will downright reject you As shown here

Your offer would be on gaining an A, they wouldn't specify which modules.. just the A level overall :h:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Yes you can resit modules in order to get a AAA, however you have to beware that some medical schools don't like this and will disadvantage your application, whilst some will downright reject you As shown here

Your offer would be on gaining an A, they wouldn't specify which modules.. just the A level overall :h:

thanks dude
Original post by Beska
Better if you can put spaces between the paragraphs, to be fair. Otherwise it'll just be a huge wall of text.

Just remembered how screwed my PS was when I transferred it from word to ucas.
If I take my first degree say a BSc in Biomedical Science at Hull (for example)

But I pay my own fees with a bank loan or my parents pay my fees for me.

Can I claim a student loan to help me pay for the 5 year Medical Course and enter as a graduate using my BSc and all to get me in but not have to pay my tuition fees myself.

Because I would not have already used my student loan before.

So would this work

If so I may even be able to use this if I study an Open University degree and then move on to med.

I look forward to your help :smile:
I believe the rules state that it must be your first degree ie you have not completed any prior degrees. In other words, I believe you would not be covered for the medicine degree.
Original post by roar558
I believe the rules state that it must be your first degree ie you have not completed any prior degrees. In other words, I believe you would not be covered for the medicine degree.

Really. I heard of someone doing something similar but like I said , something similar I thinks
I have reread the SAAS website and apparently you may be eligible if you go with what you have planned as:

We will not pay your tuition fees in the first three years of a degree if you already have a degree for which you received support from your home country or another EU member state. However, in certain circumstances, we may pay your tuition fees in year four.

This suggests that they will pay if you have not received support for your last course.
Simple Q: is there any advantage whatsoever in taking 4 A-Levels (not AS, but A-Level) as opposed to 3?

And don't say "if you can get 4 A grades, do it".

Is there an advantage, or not?

Especially considering there are A* grades available now..

:smile:
Original post by Someone123123
Simple Q: is there any advantage whatsoever in taking 4 A-Levels (not AS, but A-Level) as opposed to 3?

And don't say "if you can get 4 A grades, do it".

Is there an advantage, or not?

Especially considering there are A* grades available now..

:smile:

The simple answer = No.
Original post by roar558
I have reread the SAAS website and apparently you may be eligible if you go with what you have planned as:

We will not pay your tuition fees in the first three years of a degree if you already have a degree for which you received support from your home country or another EU member state. However, in certain circumstances, we may pay your tuition fees in year four.

This suggests that they will pay if you have not received support for your last course.

Oh alrighty :beard: This is good but isn't SAAS for Scotland?

I live in England :/

I'm gonna check.
Is Medicine an Honours degree? I am just curious. :smile:
I'm not 100% but I think you can graduate with just a pass (without honours) and then with a merit or distinction.

However, I think there are some institutions that do not offer a medical degree with honours.

Can someone verify that for me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1195
Medicine is usually awarded as an ordinary degree (with the associated classification) however, certain institutions do advertise the degree as a honours degree (Newcastle springs to mind) because although for the majority of graduates it will be an ordinary degree, some students are awarded it with honours - the equivalent of a distinction.
Original post by Beska
Medicine is usually awarded as an ordinary degree (with the associated classification) however, certain institutions do advertise the degree as a honours degree (Newcastle springs to mind) because although for the majority of graduates it will be an ordinary degree, some students are awarded it with honours - the equivalent of a distinction.

And is that "honours degree" different from what Oxbridge, UCL, etc offer with an extra year, or is it the same thing. :confused:
Reply 1197
Original post by futuredoc77
And is that "honours degree" different from what Oxbridge, UCL, etc offer with an extra year, or is it the same thing. :confused:

No I assume they mean the intercalated degree is a BSc (Hons)?

I'm talking about the MBBS proper.
Original post by Beska

I see. :beard: So what other school offers the same thing as Newcastle does. :ninja:
Original post by Beska

So for the SFE Calculator I can select yes the course I want is for an Hons degree and get the funding then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending