The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joemullally
Unless you're applying to cambridge I don't see why you should.

It shouldn't disadvantage you.
An A is an A if it's 100% (89% at A2) or 80%.

Where do we put this information on UCAS?
Original post by NinjaRikki
Where do we put this information on UCAS?

When you enter your grade you can input module information for that grade.
Reply 1582
If someone is resitting A levels do they have to start from scratch or are they able to just resit the modules they didn't do as well in?
Original post by joemullally
When you enter your grade you can input module information for that grade.

Okay but I cant see where I put my grades?
Original post by Oggz
If someone is resitting A levels do they have to start from scratch or are they able to just resit the modules they didn't do as well in?

Either way, it still counts as taking over two years, so do what you like.
Reply 1585
I don't think there's that option. Someone told me (though they weren't certain)that the grades you get first time round are cashed in, so you wouldn't get a full A level by just resitting the modules you didn't do as well in.
Original post by NinjaRikki
Okay but I cant see where I put my grades?

theres a thing next to the module title
You can either write in a number or a grade
e.g. 105 or A
Reply 1587
I put in both my individual UMS scores for each module, and the letter grade this corresponded to. Not sure if this actually helped, but at least I knew it was in there :dontknow:
I have enrollment at my college tomorrow. So far I'm definitely doing Biology and Chemistry. However the last two (Psychology and Sociology) are going to be changed, definitely the latter. However, in light of my French GCSE result (A*), I was thinking would a language be better than Maths?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DingDong!
I have enrollment at my college tomorrow. So far I'm definitely doing Biology and Chemistry. However the last two (Psychology and Sociology) are going to be changed, definitely the latter. However, in light of my French GCSE result (A*), I was thinking would a language be better than Maths?

Generally, after you've done Bio and Chem, it usually doesn't matter. However some universities do want 3 sciences, at least at AS. You can find out more about this on the medicine Wiki page for A Level Requirement for individual universities. Places like UCL like you to vary it up a bit so it just depends on where you want to apply (if you know already).
Will a 'B' in Chemistry AS affect my application to Medicine, If I'm predicted an A and get one at A2.

Also If I am predicted AAA, will Uni's see my AS results.
Original post by Kyalimers
Generally, after you've done Bio and Chem, it usually doesn't matter. However some universities do want 3 sciences, at least at AS. You can find out more about this on the medicine Wiki page for A Level Requirement for individual universities. Places like UCL like you to vary it up a bit so it just depends on where you want to apply (if you know already).

I'm hoping to get into Manchester/Liverpool.
Original post by DingDong!
I'm hoping to get into Manchester/Liverpool.

Both of these require only two sciences to the best of my knowledge. This is subject to change though.
Just out of curiosity, if a medical applicant gets called for interview, how much notice is s/he given on average?
Reply 1594
It varies, but generally it's 2 weeks. I was told about my UEA interview before Christmas and had it in February because they can't interview during January exams. I had two weeks notice before my Liverpool interview which ended up being before my UEA interview. I think Aberdeen gave me about 2 weeks notice as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Someone123123
Just out of curiosity, if a medical applicant gets called for interview, how much notice is s/he given on average?

Home student normally 2 weeks. If you live abroad you are given more time so that you have time to plan the trip, book flights...
^ OK, thanks to both of you two. :smile:
If I complete an a level in my AS year, can I still count it in an offer?
Original post by Hippokrates

I don't think it normally does, it may depend on the university though.
Original post by Hippokrates

Depends between medical schools. You're best off asking each medical school directly.

For example at BATL, they will only count it if you get an A, and then they still want you to do 3 A2s the next year so your offer would be AAAC

Check with each medical school you're interested in to make sure you get the right info :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending