The Student Room Group

A level subjects?

Do you guys think these are good A level to take if you're wanting to go into medicine:
*biology
*chemistry
*psychology
*government and politics
btw are maths and physics really compulsory if you want to do medicine?
( i know gov&politics seems out of place but i'm choosing it because basically i'm quite interested in politics)
Well I'm pretty sure you only need Chemistry and every other science subject is a plus if it's a medicine degree you're wanting to do, so that choice of subjects seem fine.
if maths is compulsory you shud do maths, otherwise they will pick someone who did do maths over you. but you wud have to look at where you want to go as they will have different requirements
Reply 3
Well I do Politics and I love it so on that front, good choice :top:
Everyone I know who's going into medicine, does maths. I think it really must help.
Reply 5
Its up to you. Just check the entry Reqs for the unis you want to apply to - even if you just have a vague idea, like look at some top unis, and some lower ones. See if you need Maths, if you really want to do politics substitute psychology for Maths, I think even maths at AS will give an advantage for medicine.
TotalPoliticsNerd
Everyone I know who's going into medicine, does maths. I think it really must help.

You don't need maths to do medicine :facepalm2:
OP Pick Bio and Chem and the other two whatever you damn like.
TotalPoliticsNerd

It really doesn't, I didn't do maths (took Bio, Chem, Economics and Geography at AS) and I got 3/3 interviews. And I know someone else who didn't do maths and he didn't receive any rejections.

And OP if you look at the course structure, you can see that you ony require a basic knowedge in maths - most med schools recommend a B at GCSE.

And furthermore, I know that a lot of medical schools prefer it if you don't take all science-reated subjects, as it shows that you're a more well-rounded individual.
ILikeTheGame
You don't need maths to do medicine :facepalm2:
OP Pick Bio and Chem and the other two whatever you damn like.

True, you don't NEED it.

This might interest you, OP - from the Cambridge site.

The typical A level offer is A*AA. Chemistry A level is highly desirable.

Please note that most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. All Colleges will consider applicants offering two science/mathematics subjects at A level plus one or more non-science subject(s).

Applicants with two science/mathematics subjects are expected to have comparable ability with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. In these circumstances the applicant will normally be expected to achieve the A* grade in one of the science/mathematics A level subjects and may be asked to take a third science/ mathematics subject to AS level.

Please note that the following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/ mathematics subjects at A level:

Christ’s
Jesus
Magdalene - in the case of Magdalene, this must also include A level Mathematics
Newnham
St John’s
Trinity
go onto the medicine forum, theres a mega thread on this

and YOU DONT NEED MATHS :smile:
TotalPoliticsNerd
True, you don't NEED it.

This might interest you, OP - from the Cambridge site.

The typical A level offer is A*AA. Chemistry A level is highly desirable.

Please note that most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. All Colleges will consider applicants offering two science/mathematics subjects at A level plus one or more non-science subject(s).

Applicants with two science/mathematics subjects are expected to have comparable ability with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. In these circumstances the applicant will normally be expected to achieve the A* grade in one of the science/mathematics A level subjects and may be asked to take a third science/ mathematics subject to AS level.

Please note that the following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/ mathematics subjects at A level:

Christ’s
Jesus
Magdalene - in the case of Magdalene, this must also include A level Mathematics
Newnham
St John’s
Trinity

Yeah that's true.

OP, where are you applying? If you are desperate to get into oxbridge (and possibly Imperial) you may have to take maths. If you don't enjoy maths or aren't too strong with it, don't bother taking it - a grade lower than a B would be detrimental.

Latest

Trending

Trending