The Student Room Group

Law or sociology a level

So I’m currently about to switch from a btec to as levels in college
I’m struggling to decide between doing sociology and law
I have bought the law as level book and I do kind it interesting but I went to a taster session today and found sociology a lot more fun and interesting but I’m leaning towards doing something with law at uni
Original post by The student Dan
I have bought the law as level book and I do kind it interesting but I went to a taster session today and found sociology a lot more fun and interesting but I’m leaning towards doing something with law at uni

According to a number of students who did law at A Level, do another subject.
Whilst sociology is not as academic as law, it's probably a better subject to pick since you would enjoy it more (and according to a number of people who did Law A Level, it's the better subject for A Level).

To do law at degree level, you would need 3 A Levels in any subject + LNAT (for top end universities). The key things are the A Levels need to be high grades and you need a stellar personal statement (ideally with some work experience in law). The preferred subjects for Law degrees tend to be essay based and academic subjects. If you don't have essay based subjects or they are not particularly academic, it's not the end of the world.
I have seen applicants with science subjects get into law in a top end university. Some students with less academic subjects like sociology got places in law degree courses as well.
Law A level is not the best one to do even for future lawyers. I did History, English Literature and German for example. One of my trainee lawyer children did History, Geography and Economics.
Original post by The student Dan

Hi!

My advice would be to go for a subject which is more interesting for you to learn- it sounds like you enjoy sociology more. If you wish to pursue law at university you can definitely do so - it is not compulsory you study law at A-Level/ BTEC in fact I think sociology would give you a foundation to develop on for when you study law- there are elements of sociology which intertwine with law, same goes for psychology, criminology and even business. I hope this helps, good luck :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending