The Student Room Group

What alevels for a vet

Hi so i am currently choosing my alevels and i know that i am definitely going to do chemistry and biology but i can’t decide between maths or welsh first language for my third option. Which should i do
Maths. It's usually a requirement and is a facilitating subject.
Hey @imemily2

If you are only doing the 3 A Levels, I would recommend maths if you are looking towards veterinary medicine. While Welsh is a valuable subject, maths would be preferred usually alongside your sciences going into a medical field

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by imemily2
Hi so i am currently choosing my alevels and i know that i am definitely going to do chemistry and biology but i can’t decide between maths or welsh first language for my third option. Which should i do

I’d be inclined to say maths. Though, as veterinary medicine is highly competitive, it is worth taking into account which subject you are more likely to get a higher grade in.

Assuming UCAS is correct, biology and two other subjects are generally the main requirements, though presumably chemistry and maths will be preferred and help to give you a competitive edge.
Reply 4
Does it make more sense for me to do welsh if i go to a uni in wales

Hey @imemily2

Not necessarily. I would recommend maths over English for someone at an English university too.

When it comes to writing your personal statement with your uni application, that's where you can mention you had an interest in studying Welsh. Unless there is a degree that is taught in Welsh that you would need to have a high level of fluency for I don't think it would be necessary. Are there any Welsh clubs or super-curriculars you could be a part of at college? It's definitely good to maintain an interest in the language whatever you end up doing.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

If the lectures were in welsh, perhaps, but I still reckon maths would be better - unless you are certain you cannot get a high grade in it and that welsh would give you a much stronger result.

Look at the Entry Requirements section on the course pages of uni websites. They will stipulate which subjects are required or preferred. For example for Aberystwyth:

https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/vet-sci/bvsc-vet/#entry-requirements

AAA in three A Level subjects:

Biology at grade A
Chemistry at grade A
A third subject of your choice. The third A Level subject should not overlap with Biology or Chemistry.
Contextual offers available

So you don't 'need' maths or Welsh for Aber but either subject is acceptable, so you should pick the subject you enjoy and will achieve the grade requirement.

As another example, Liverpool's requirements:

AAA in three A level subjects:

Grade A in Biology or Human Biology

Grade A in Chemistry or another academic science-related subject (Physics, Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Psychology)*

Grade A in a third subject of your choice**

*If Chemistry is not offered at A level, it must be offered at AS level (at grade B or above).

** The third A level subject cannot be general studies or critical thinking, however, there is no third subject that is preferred by selectors or gives any special advantage in the selection process. Science and non-science subjects are treated equally for the third subject.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8

If you are good at English, humanities, or a social science like maybe geography, psychology, sociology etc, they would also be great as a 3rd subject to show that you are an all rounded and can write essays, rather than just being great at sciences.
Original post by spacedout444
Maths. It's usually a requirement and is a facilitating subject.

The concept of facilitating subjects was dumped years ago. Unis have to be upfront about what subjects are essential or preferred for each course, and they will list them on the course page of their websites.
Original post by lalexm
If you are good at English, humanities, or a social science like maybe geography, psychology, sociology etc, they would also be great as a 3rd subject to show that you are an all rounded and can write essays, rather than just being great at sciences.

If, like the example given above, the uni stipulates that the third A level can be in any subject, then it can be anything. Admissions don't consider if you are 'well rounded', they look at whether you meet the entry requirements stipulated on the course page.
Reply 11
Original post by normaw
If, like the example given above, the uni stipulates that the third A level can be in any subject, then it can be anything. Admissions don't consider if you are 'well rounded', they look at whether you meet the entry requirements stipulated on the course page.

Yep agreed. As someone who has interviewed many grads over the years, I personally think it is great when someone has contrasting A-level e.g. 2 science subjects and a humanities subject, but like you say, for uni admins, it should make no difference, as long as you meet the published subject requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest