The Student Room Group

Significance of A Level Resits in Scottish Flexible Degree System

This will be a very long winded and complex question so bear with me.

I am aiming to enter into a Scottish university this September and am aware of the ‘three subjects in first year’ system where I am allowed to take two alternate subjects in my first year alongside my main (provided I have the necessary grades to do the two alternates etc). I have also heard that this can lead to a complete shift in degree to one of those alternate subjects if one does enough modules and requests to follow one of the alternate subjects to honours level.

Once I am in the Uni, I am interested in how A level resits will be considered. I already have my original A levels (I am on a gap year) and am dissatisfied with one of the grades. I plan to resit one of my A levels alongside a completely new A level subject in June (when I will likely have all my responses). This new subject (and the resit subject) , with good grades, would grant me access to the alternate first year subjects that I want to pursue, if they came about naturally in my original set of A levels. How much are these resits really valued or considered?

Within the context of choosing two alternate subjects for first year alongside my main, will these new grades grant me access to those alternate subjects that may have been off the table with my original A levels, or will they be deemed insignificant, even in this context? It is not as if I am adding them to my application on UCAS for access to my main subject, as they would only be for these alternate first year subjects (that I may want to pursue further).

For example, imagine I studied Sociology, English, History at A Level gaining AAB respectively. My main subject for the uni is Sociology and I want to study History as one alternate, but A in History and a pass in Politics is required. (This is obviously a theoretical example, the politics bit is unlikely to be true). Could I make up for this by retaking History while also taking Politics in June, achieving high grades?

or will I be forever restricted from taking this alternative subject regardless of what I resit/sit?

I know this is annoyingly long and wordy but any help is really and truly appreciated. I am willing to clarify anything unclear in the replies.
They don't care if you meet module prerequisites via resit or not.

I doubt history modules would even require A-level History honestly. Many history degrees don't require A-level History.

You're really overthinking this I think...
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger

I doubt history modules would even require A-level History honestly. Many history degrees don't require A-level History.

What if your goal became to transition to studying History at honours level and graduate with a degree in History? Would they not care about the prerequisite grades and mandatory subjects even then?
Original post by alt76765
What if your goal became to transition to studying History at honours level and graduate with a degree in History? Would they not care about the prerequisite grades and mandatory subjects even then?

Depends on the course.

If you want to do a history degree though why not just retake and reapply directly to those courses?
Reply 4

Would they care if you met the prerequisites for Computer Science to take it in first year? Could you do the modules and then progress with it to honours even though you didn’t meet the regular requirements?
Would they care if you met the prerequisites for Computer Science to take it in first year? Could you do the modules and then progress with it to honours even though you didn’t meet the regular requirements?

What do the MODULE prerequisites say?

I suspect for CS they would require A-level Maths or an equivalent module and you would need that to be able to take it.
Reply 6
What do the MODULE prerequisites say?

I suspect for CS they would require A-level Maths or an equivalent module and you would need that to be able to take it.

For CS it seems they require only A in A level Maths for any of the year 1 modules and then the next modules just require you having completed the modules before it.

On the Entry requirements page for CS Bsc however it says you need A in A level maths and a pass in one other maths/science subject for entry.

If the module requirements are only A level Maths, am I likely to be allowed to progress to second year and honours even without the other Maths/Science subject listed as a requirement for entry on the course page? As long as I complete the first year modules? If so that is good news.
For CS it seems they require only A in A level Maths for any of the year 1 modules and then the next modules just require you having completed the modules before it.

On the Entry requirements page for CS Bsc however it says you need A in A level maths and a pass in one other maths/science subject for entry.

If the module requirements are only A level Maths, am I likely to be allowed to progress to second year and honours even without the other Maths/Science subject listed as a requirement for entry on the course page? As long as I complete the first year modules? If so that is good news.

Harder to say here because they may have a maximum number of people who can be on that course due to facilities and space limitations (i.e. only having X number of seats in the main CS computer lab). Also CS tends to be a very popular and competitive course (whereas history tends to be somewhat under-subscribed and less reliant on physical space available in facilities rather than library access) and so may be less likely to agree to allow someone not meeting the formal degree requirements switch into the course after starting.

As previously advised, if you want to do a degree in XYZ, apply to that course directly while meeting the requirements. Universities generally aren't going to facilitate "backdooring" into a popular programme by someone who doesn't meet the requirements, after they start on another programme at the university.

If you don't know what degree you want to do or don't meet the requirements for direct entry, take a gap year and retake/take whatever subjects you need to meet those requirements.
Reply 8
Harder to say here because they may have a maximum number of people who can be on that course due to facilities and space limitations (i.e. only having X number of seats in the main CS computer lab). Also CS tends to be a very popular and competitive course (whereas history tends to be somewhat under-subscribed and less reliant on physical space available in facilities rather than library access) and so may be less likely to agree to allow someone not meeting the formal degree requirements switch into the course after starting.

As previously advised, if you want to do a degree in XYZ, apply to that course directly while meeting the requirements. Universities generally aren't going to facilitate "backdooring" into a popular programme by someone who doesn't meet the requirements, after they start on another programme at the university.

If you don't know what degree you want to do or don't meet the requirements for direct entry, take a gap year and retake/take whatever subjects you need to meet those requirements.

Fair enough. Backdooring aside, are you confident I’ll at least be able to explore the subject in first/second year if I meet the module prerequisites but not the subject entry requirements? Regardless of whether they’ll let me progress to honours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending