The Student Room Group

Urgent Commerical Pilot Help Please!!!

HI, I AM A 15 YEAR OLD BOY WHO REALLY REALLY WANTS TO BE A PILOT.I REALLY NEED HELP AND ADVICE. I HAVE As IN MOST NEARLY ALL SUBJECTS AND WANT TO DO A-LEVEL MATHS AND PHYSICS.

HOW DO YOU BECOME A COMMERCIAL PILOT?
I HEARD IT COSTS LOT OF MONEY?
SHOULD I JOIN THROUGHT THE RAF (EVEN THOUGHT I DONT REALLY WANT TO) ?
IS THEY A QUCIK AND CHEAP WAY THROUGH?
WHICH DEGREE DO I NEED TO DO?
WHAT COULD I START DOING NOW THAT WILL HELP ME IN MY AVIATION CAREER?

PLEASE COULD I HAVE STEP BY STEP ADVISE FROM ANYONE WHO KNOWS ?!!!
THANK YOU
P.S I LIVE IN THE UK!!!!
Reply 1
Get better at English would be the first tip I would give you. The second would be to remove the caps lock.

Why is this 'Urgent' if you're only 15? Or do you have to submit the choices for your A-levels tomorrow and you're doing this last minute?
iam think about becoming a pilot but if your serious about this you should no this information.

advise
air cadets (good practice)
it cost around £60,000
you do not need a degree to become a pilot, but it does help, i guess. preferably science based degree.
and the cheapest way to do it would probable a scholarship.
Do a search. We answer this question every other Sunday afternoon when some teenager/troll gets bored on the internet :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Turn the caps lock off now, whole posts in caps should be a ban-able offence.
Reply 5
You do not need to get a degree to become a pilot. My Dad was a commercial pilot for 35 years and now trains them. It costs upwards of 60,000£. No there is not a cheap and quick way through, being a Pilot is not about being 'quick and easy'. maths and physics is a very good idea for A-level. You should register your interest at a flying college at 6th form. It might also be worth learning how to glide, as it does help.

Take active interest in things like air cadets aswell.
Reply 6
Ocassus
You do not need to get a degree to become a pilot. My Dad was a commercial pilot for 35 years and now trains them. It costs upwards of 60,000£. No there is not a cheap and quick way through, being a Pilot is not about being 'quick and easy'. maths and physics is a very good idea for A-level. You should register your interest at a flying college at 6th form. It might also be worth learning how to glide, as it does help.

Take active interest in things like air cadets aswell.

is they anyway i can contct ur dad because i really need to talk to somone
Reply 7
neildo
Turn the caps lock off now, whole posts in caps should be a ban-able offence.

i just made my account today sorry i dident know about caps lock!!
Reply 8
Try spelling everything correctly aswell :smile:. I asked my Dad and he said that in order to become a qualified pilot you need to seek out a flying college now, and register interest. There is no 'How to become a commercial pilot' guide. Because there are very few openings, you will be competing with over 300 applicants for one spot. So you have your work cut out for you..
Reply 9
HOW DO YOU BECOME A COMMERCIAL PILOT? fund an atpl you cant afford, get a job that doesn't exist.
I HEARD IT COSTS LOT OF MONEY? around £70000 - £80000 for an integrated (no flying to frozen atpl) course
SHOULD I JOIN THROUGHT THE RAF (EVEN THOUGHT I DONT REALLY WANT TO) ? don't join the raf if you don't want to be in the raf. You probably wont get in if you don't want to be there, but even if you did you won't get trained to be a pilot without a minimum service of roughly 12 years.
IS THEY A QUCIK AND CHEAP WAY THROUGH? no, and no
WHICH DEGREE DO I NEED TO DO? don't have to do one but aviation/engineering related might be a help
WHAT COULD I START DOING NOW THAT WILL HELP ME IN MY AVIATION CAREER? stop typing in capitals. Get good a levels in maths + physics
sorry my spelling not up to scratch
Reply 11
Why is this in the Armed Forces forum?
Looks like a wind-up.
wannabe_pilot
i just made my account today sorry i dident know about caps lock!!

you didn't know about caps lock?

I'm calling it, Troll.
Reply 14
Troll.
unruly1986
Looks like a wind-up.

?????
am serious about this
Reply 16
If you're serious about becoming a commercial pilot then head to these forums: http://www.pprune.org/

These forums are for people who wish to join the armed forces.
Reply 17
wannabe_pilot, whilst i believe i may be guilty of feeding the troll, i shall give you the benefit of the doubt. There are many threads on this forum, some from a couple of weeks ago, highlighting all of your questions you have asked and more. Why not use the search function?

As has been mentioned, the pprune.org website has a huge wealth of information. There is alot, however, which you will probably not like to hear. I warn you not to go posting on there before doing an extensive search through all of the threads and posts as you will be shot down in flames...
It is no easier to become a commercial pilot as it is joining the Armed forces (AAC, RAF, FAA etc). There are many very experiance ex military pilots joining the Civil aviation industry each year. Apply for the Military route if you get in then well done, if not prehaps a career in aviation is not for you (atleast you won't have spent £1000s on the civil aviation medical and aptitude tests). The Flight Aptitude tests for the Armed forces are very similar to Civil aviation tests use it as an indication of suitability. If the issue with the armed forces is a moral one, then by all means try the civil route but try to get sponsored (althought there are few or these opportunities available in the current economic climate). I have just passed my Flight aptitude tests for the Fleet Air Arm so excuse me if i'm biased toward the military route. Good Luck.
Reply 19
Don't go for the military route. You've already said you don't want to.
As it's been said, if you don't really want to go about it that way, you probably won't get in anyway. And if you do you're taking the place of someone who might really want it.

Latest