The Student Room Group

Jazz Society

Scroll to see replies

Profesh
Awesome. Especially Hiromi who is great. :yy:

Original post by Profesh
Since I'm here, I suppose I ought to contribute some 'proper' jazz:

Nice selection - all old favourites apart from Hiromi who I haven't heard before. I expect everyone noticed the Satie influence...

I often play this for sound checks before a gig - always raises an eyebrow or two. Lots of versions of this on Youtube but this is the way I like it.
Reply 782
I've been listening to a couple of versions of 'What a Wonderful World' that were recommended to to me, with very different results.

:biggrin:

:emo:

Also, would anyone recommend any other versions of this song?
It's not great - but some nice guitar

I'm sure Ray Charles did it but all the ones I can find attributed to him on YouTube are actually Louis.
Reply 784
Hey, I'm new to the society.
I'm more into swing/blues/funk stuff with a heavy brass and sax section and a tight rhythm section; like big band stuff.

Has anyone heard Mark Ronson's jazzy covers?

or his original stuff?

Reply 785
Currently listening to:

Sad to say an old friend and trumpeter died this week. He knew it was coming and, following his wishes we are giving him a joyous New Orleans send off with a proper trad band (complete with sousaphone) at the funeral followed by a massive jam. No-one is to wear black (unless it's cool black). It's surprising how popular this kind of funeral is becoming - we've done several in the last couple of years.
Reply 787
Currently listening to...

Trombone Shorty!
Anyone here into John Zorn? His Masada and Filmworks projects are fantastic IMO (although the geekiest of music fans seem to swear by his Naked City work :tongue: ).
Reply 789
Original post by cactusfish
Anyone here into John Zorn? His Masada and Filmworks projects are fantastic IMO (although the geekiest of music fans seem to swear by his Naked City work :tongue: ).

me me meeee :biggrin: i absolutely love him!
Marcus Miller is coming to the UK. :woohoo:
Original post by Stricof
Marcus Miller is coming to the UK. :woohoo:

Ooh, when? and where?

Original post by skotch
Currently listening to...

Trombone Shorty!

Fantastic artist. Thought him and Little Dragon were awesome on Jools Holland the other night
Reply 793
One thing I've always thought of with Jazz is that it's a genre which no one has reallly brought innovation or even just progression to in modern times.. and that everyone's favourite jazz tunes seem to be from much older times. maybe i'm completely wrong? either way i'm interested in any reccomendations for more modern takes on jazz.. anyone?
Original post by MrJoeyUK
One thing I've always thought of with Jazz is that it's a genre which no one has reallly brought innovation or even just progression to in modern times.. and that everyone's favourite jazz tunes seem to be from much older times. maybe i'm completely wrong??
Completely disagree. Jazz has seen huge progression over the ages. Most of us think of bebop (Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane) when we think of Jazz and there's nothing wrong with that. But there are more 'innovative' people who have progressed from bebop such as marcus miller. Even more contemporary and distinct from them are Acid Jazz bands like incognito and Jamiroquai's old music.
Anyway, there are a few members here who also like nu-jazz, which combines rockability or drum & bass

And my favourite -

Listen from 8:30 onwards for marcus miller. :coma:
Reply 795
Recent jazz acquisitions:

Lush Life by John Coltrane
The Real Miles Davis by Miles Davis
The Very Best of Miles Davis: The Warner Bros Sessions 1985-1991 by Miles Davis
Nightmoves by Kurt Elling

Gaga singing a Jazz standard. :zomg::zomg::zomg:

(edited 12 years ago)
Wouldn't you love to be able to sing like that when you're 85 :eek: ?

What about this one with our Amy? I love it when she's lower than him.

Original post by Fingersmith
Wouldn't you love to be able to sing like that when you're 85 :eek: ?

What about this one with our Amy? I love it when she's lower than him.

Indeed. He's still good. :yy:

And Amy is great. It's a shame about her though... :emo:
Totally agree and shame on all the TSR posters who dissed her after her untimely death. She was one of our great recent soul singers. I heard Tony Bennet interviewed after the recordings and he loved her.

Quick Reply

Latest