The Student Room Group

Masters Course in Composite Materials

What has you experience been like conducting a masters course in composite materials? In particular I'm seeking for users to comment on their experience studying composite materials in Bristol University/Imperial College London/Cranfield University.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by siehbi
What has you experience been like conducting a masters course in composite materials? In particular I'm seeking for users to comment on their experience studying composite materials in Bristol University/Imperial College London/Cranfield University.

Hi siehbi!

I am a current PhD Student at Cranfield studying in the Precision Engineering department, and I also did my Masters here, so although I do not have experience of the course (I'm guessing you're referring to the Advanced Lightweight and Composite Structures MSc) I studied in the same school so hopefully I'll be able to help you :smile:

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

If you're looking to speak to people who have studied the Composite course you could try asking the students Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cranfieldstudents2019

You can also check out the blog, it has a lot of posts about both the courses and things about life here in general, and it's all written by students:
https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/cranfield-impact-centre/msc-advanced-lightweight-and-composite-structures-at-cranfield-impact-centre

Hope this helps!

Katherine
Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi siehbi!

I am a current PhD Student at Cranfield studying in the Precision Engineering department, and I also did my Masters here, so although I do not have experience of the course (I'm guessing you're referring to the Advanced Lightweight and Composite Structures MSc) I studied in the same school so hopefully I'll be able to help you :smile:

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

If you're looking to speak to people who have studied the Composite course you could try asking the students Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cranfieldstudents2019

You can also check out the blog, it has a lot of posts about both the courses and things about life here in general, and it's all written by students:
https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/cranfield-impact-centre/msc-advanced-lightweight-and-composite-structures-at-cranfield-impact-centre

Hope this helps!

KatherineMany thanks for you reply Katherine!

I've mostly been interested in having a student's perspective on his/her experience on the course; that is in terms of the content, workload, intensity and all that jazz. I've read the article and it indeed did shine some more light on the course, so again, many thanks for sharing. Will definitely be interested in joining the Facebook group so that I can further enhance my view on such course.
Student Ambassador

Many thanks for you reply Katherine!

I've mostly been interested in having a student's perspective on his/her experience on the course; that is in terms of the content, workload, intensity and all that jazz. I've read the article and it indeed did shine some more light on the course, so again, many thanks for sharing. Will definitely be interested in joining the Facebook group so that I can further enhance my view on such course.
They are all great universities and have strong links with composite industries. Particularly, the University of Bristol has very strong industrial connections with respect to composites. Imperial College London is generally known for engineering and science courses. However, I do not have any knowledge about their industrial connections. Cranfield's courses are also known for strong industrial connections. They have a unique group design project where leading industry companies assess your project's performance. Cranfield is very small (you can call it a village). On the other hand, Bristol and London, as a city, are on another level. There will be a lot to do outside of your studies in Bristol and London. However, there will be nothing to do at Cranfield.
Original post by spaceengineer
They are all great universities and have strong links with composite industries. Particularly, the University of Bristol has very strong industrial connections with respect to composites. Imperial College London is generally known for engineering and science courses. However, I do not have any knowledge about their industrial connections. Cranfield's courses are also known for strong industrial connections. They have a unique group design project where leading industry companies assess your project's performance. Cranfield is very small (you can call it a village). On the other hand, Bristol and London, as a city, are on another level. There will be a lot to do outside of your studies in Bristol and London. However, there will be nothing to do at Cranfield.
Hi @spaceengineer,

I'm going to have to disagree with the very last part of your post!

Cranfield is a campus and village, yes. But there is plenty to do even if countryside walks and pubs aren't your thing. Milton Keynes and Bedford are just a short drive/ bus trip away. Both of those have a variety of leisure and shopping facilities, as well as regular trains to London.

In Cranfield itself, we have lots going on.
We have an interesting set of student societies, including the usual sports and activities, but also some more unique societies. For example, Cranfield Students for the Exploration and Development of Space. They get proper workshop access and ability to design and build super impressive projects like satellites or small rockets. There's also a flight school on campus.
You can find more info here: Clubs & Societies - Cranfield campus - Cranfield Students' Association (mycsa.org.uk)
Of course we also have regular events at the student bar.

Personally, my favourite thing to do is play Roller Derby in Milton Keynes. But you can ask a bunch of Cranfield students and they'll give you a whole range of answers on what they get up to here. You can also always start your own society if what you're interested in doesn't already exist :smile:

Gemma
2nd Year PhD Student (Environment & Agrifood)
Student Ambassador
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest