The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hatfield College Offer Holders 2023

Hi, Just curious as my daughter was allocated Hatfields (yes it was her first choice)...
I know the college gets a lot of hate and has a nickname :X but wondering if there is anyone else on here who has had an offer for Hatfield and is state school.
Or just would like some positive thoughts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I was allocated Hatfield and am from a state school. Bit worried about the reputation but not much we can do about it
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I was allocated Hatfield and am from a state school. Bit worried about the reputation but not much we can do about it

Yes I know what you mean.. We went up for the open day and I really liked Chads but she fell in love with Hatfield so she's really happy. I just hope there will be a decent amount of state school students :smile: What subject are you doing?
Reply 3
Hello, also a Hatfield offer holder here (MFL - French and Russian)! Wasn’t my first choice, but I’m happy nevertheless as it looks really nice!

What courses are everyone else going to be studying?
Reply 4
Original post by BarnabyK
Hello, also a Hatfield offer holder here (MFL - French and Russian)! Wasn’t my first choice, but I’m happy nevertheless as it looks really nice!

What courses are everyone else going to be studying?

My daughter is doing PPE :smile:
Reply 5
I'm doing biological sciences. Chads was actually my first choice! I have a friend from school at Durham who has said that most of the college stereotypes are false and that there are people you want to avoid everyone not just concentrated at one particular college. Have they firmed Durham?
Yes I know what you mean.. We went up for the open day and I really liked Chads but she fell in love with Hatfield so she's really happy. I just hope there will be a decent amount of state school students :smile: What subject are you doing?
Reply 6
I'm doing biological sciences. Chads was actually my first choice! I have a friend from school at Durham who has said that most of the college stereotypes are false and that there are people you want to avoid everyone not just concentrated at one particular college. Have they firmed Durham?

Yes she firmed :smile:
Reply 7
I’m definitely a bit late to this thread! But I’m also from state school and I’ve been allocated to hatfield :smile: I’m doing politics and international relations - hope to see her there in september!
Reply 8
Original post by haniyyah_x
I’m definitely a bit late to this thread! But I’m also from state school and I’ve been allocated to hatfield :smile: I’m doing politics and international relations - hope to see her there in september!

Aww fab.. hopefully you will come across each other, especially with the politics connection. :smile:
Hi, I just finished my first year at Hatfield, and being from a state school, I can understand the reputation it gets. Hatfield can certainly be more cliquey than other colleges and there is no doubt it is dominated by students who attended fee-paying schools. However, the majority of people are friendly and you will make friends sooner or later - my best advice is too join college sports and societies, and put yourself out there - speak to literally everyone during freshers week!
Reply 10
Hi, I just finished my first year at Hatfield, and being from a state school, I can understand the reputation it gets. Hatfield can certainly be more cliquey than other colleges and there is no doubt it is dominated by students who attended fee-paying schools. However, the majority of people are friendly and you will make friends sooner or later - my best advice is too join college sports and societies, and put yourself out there - speak to literally everyone during freshers week!

That's fantastic advice ... thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, Just curious as my daughter was allocated Hatfields (yes it was her first choice)...
I know the college gets a lot of hate and has a nickname :X but wondering if there is anyone else on here who has had an offer for Hatfield and is state school.

Hi! Hatfield offer holder here! Will join in September for an MA in Medieval and Renaissance Literary Studies! Went to public school in Italy :smile: I think your daughter will have no problem making friends, do not worry about stereotypes too much!
Reply 12

Hi, my son is from a state school background and has been at Hatfield for a year. The experience could not have been better. Has made lots of friends and has really enjoyed being at Hatfield. He feels there is much more going on on ‘the Bailey’, always someone to hang out with. He managed one of the pool teams and joined the jazz band. Don’t worry, once they have gone used to some of the formal meal traditions they will love it.
Reply 13
Original post by Sakiaski
Hi, my son is from a state school background and has been at Hatfield for a year. The experience could not have been better. Has made lots of friends and has really enjoyed being at Hatfield. He feels there is much more going on on ‘the Bailey’, always someone to hang out with. He managed one of the pool teams and joined the jazz band. Don’t worry, once they have gone used to some of the formal meal traditions they will love it.

That's really reassuring and lovely to hear :smile: My daughter is definitely going to be joining a few societies and she does have some friends going to other Durham colleges. I have to say, so far the response from Hatfield with any queries we've had has been amazing. So fingers crossed she really enjoys her experience :smile:
Reply 14
That's really reassuring and lovely to hear :smile: My daughter is definitely going to be joining a few societies and she does have some friends going to other Durham colleges. I have to say, so far the response from Hatfield with any queries we've had has been amazing. So fingers crossed she really enjoys her experience :smile:

It’s a great college. The staff are lovely and really look after the students! Freshers week is great fun. My son will be one of the Freps looking after them. I couldn’t have wished for a better experience for him at university, I was a little concerned but no need really.
Reply 15
It’s a great college. The staff are lovely and really look after the students! Freshers week is great fun. My son will be one of the Freps looking after them. I couldn’t have wished for a better experience for him at university, I was a little concerned but no need really.

That's fab to hear :smile: I can imagine Freshers week will be such an amazing experience and is lovely that your son will be one of the Freps shows just how well he's doing there :smile:
Reply 16
My daughter received her accommodation information and contract today... very happy with where she will be staying as well.
Reply 17
Brilliant! My son was in Palmers Garth over the bridge, and really enjoyed it there.
Reply 18
Brilliant! My son was in Palmers Garth over the bridge, and really enjoyed it there.

Aww it's so nice to hear that :smile:
Aww fab.. hopefully you will come across each other, especially with the politics connection. :smile:

Hiya! Didn’t end up meeting my grades after results day, got A*AB instead of 3As so I’m off to Leeds instead 💕 hope she has fun regardless!

Quick Reply

Latest