The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Student life in Exeter - ASK ME!

Hey, I've been in Exeter for the last 3 years as a student, if you've just found out you're starting in September (Congrats!), ask me anything about living here that you want to know.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I've been in Exeter for the last 3 years as a student, if you've just found out you're starting in September (Congrats!), ask me anything about living here that you want to know.

How is the nightlife/social life there?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

I am going for Computer Science there, how is the program?
Reply 3
Original post by surajnagpal
I am going for Computer Science there, how is the program?

I know a couple of people who do/have done Computer Science here and they seem to enjoy it, the society is pretty big too so they do socials alot.
The nightlife is good, there's like 3/4 main clubs, I'd say 1. Unit 1 2.Timepiece 3.Vaults and then Fever & Lemmy a lot of them have released tickets today for Freshers. Like 80% of the time you need a ticket to get into clubs here, especially September/October when everyone is out all the time.
Reply 4

Is it really posh and does that have an affect on the social aspects. Heard someone say they felt insecure wearing trackies and everyones tries to fit in with the posh kids and not be themselves
Reply 5
Original post by NiamR
Is it really posh and does that have an affect on the social aspects. Heard someone say they felt insecure wearing trackies and everyones tries to fit in with the posh kids and not be themselves

I’m from the North West so I’d say it’s definitely posher than some places, a lot of people also move here from quite posh places so I’d say it’s noticeable if that isn’t what your used to.
People definitely try to fit in but it’s unlikely someone is going to call you out for not fitting in, especially other students, they tend to be way more accepting of people who are different to them.
I wouldn’t overthink it, you’ve just got to find a group of people you get on with and you won’t even be thinking about what other people think
Reply 6
What’s it like if you don’t drink?
Reply 7
Original post by Breeze23

I do drink so I don’t know how it compares to other places but I do know that societies tend to do a split of drinking and non drinking socials, some societies can lean more to one side but most are pretty split. There’s also places open late where I wouldn’t say you need to drink, pretty much every pub does a quiz one night of the week, there’s a bar on the high street that does a jazz night, the time I went I didn’t drink and thought it was great. Most places have a decent mocktail/none alcoholic selection and still make them look like cocktails so you aren’t feeling like you’re left out or anything
Reply 8
Original post by Breeze23

As someone who doesn't drink, it's been pretty good in my experience. Obviously there are some events that are going to be based around drinking, but if you're fine going to those events sober then they're not that bad. But there are societies that do involve less drinking than others, and as OP said, a lot of societies do a mix of drinking and non-drinking socials. Overall I'd say that not drinking hasn't impacted my social life much if at all while at Exeter.
Reply 9
I keep seeing people in fresher gc's going on about icebreaker tickets, but have also been warned they are a bit of a con as you can usually buy tickets on the door. Is this true and are they worth buying?
Reply 10
Original post by #Rosie
I keep seeing people in fresher gc's going on about icebreaker tickets, but have also been warned they are a bit of a con as you can usually buy tickets on the door. Is this true and are they worth buying?

Exeter is very ticket based, especially term 1, pretty much all the events will sell out by freshers week. You can normally buy on the door but queues can be mental I waited nearly an hour and a half once because I didn’t realise I was going to go out so I didn't get a ticket.
There are a couple of promoters, the Icebreaker isn’t a scam I went to it last year and it was really good. There’s 4Play they do club nights in a few clubs, they’re legit and I think there’s one called Hold it Down or Sin, they’re also real events and there’s a freshers Houseparty that one happened last year too and sold out.
Unit 1 is a club and is doing a wristband to all their events for the year I think it’s like £25 at the minute, I got one when it was £10 I actually messaged them to check it was legit and it is apparently.

Basically - freshers week always sells out so if you want to go to something, get a ticket, you can always sell it on the day (trust me someone will buy it) if you don’t end up going. I don’t think it’s worth queuing to possibly not get in if there’s no space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending