The Student Room Group

Intermediate 2 Maths 2010 Thread

Is everyone confident? What were prelim results like.

I got 85% in my prelim and am fairly confident. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got 78% in the prelim, although our teacher admitted our prelim was really hard and some of the questions were vague. I can get 95-100% in most past papers now, so hopefully I get a band 1.
71% in the first prelim and 79% in the second prelim. I have been revising so much so I hope I get an A.

Are both of you doing Units 1,2,3? I am!

Good Luck guys! :woo: I'm looking foward to dicussing the answers with you all. Remember to take your papers!
Reply 3
39% in the prelim.

Bask in it. I know you're jealous. :wink:
Reply 4
ProudScottish
71% in the first prelim and 79% in the second prelim. I have been revising so much so I hope I get an A.

Are both of you doing Units 1,2,3? I am!

Good Luck guys! :woo: I'm looking foward to dicussing the answers with you all. Remember to take your papers!

Yeah I'm doing units 1, 2 and 3. I'm not going to take the paper out but I usually remember the majority of the questions and the answers I give for these types of exams.

Good luck to everyone! I might be on here tomorrow to discuss the answers if I get a chance, if not, I'll be on on Saturday. :woo:
Reply 5
Does anyone have the paper that they could scan and upload? would be very much appreciated :smile:

hope you all did okay!
I am wiling to type up but the scanner is broke!
Paper 1 was very very simple, paper 2 is a little tricky but I think I did well!

All in all I think I am looking to get an A!
Reply 7
I would *really* appreciate having a look at paper 2
However it was mega long so it'll probably take quite a while to type up, and I wouldn't be able to see the diagrams etc

Thank you so much for the offer anyway :smile:
Reply 8
Paper 1 was fairly easy. I thought the sphere question was odd.
Paper 2 was very easy.

I am hoping for around 90%.
Reply 9
Can anyone let me know if they can scan and upload?
Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 10
After the warm temperatures today it would only be fair for this years mathematics examination pass mark to be lowered-all levels. Several schools should have been closed today to all students due to the excessive temperatures of classrooms-with the emphasis on those sitting life direction dependant SQA exams. Anyone agree? However, atleast finally we are getting some sun folks-on the positive side.:smile:
TEX1
After the warm temperatures today it would only be fair for this years mathematics examination pass mark to be lowered-all levels. Several schools should have been closed today to all students due to the excessive temperatures of classrooms-with the emphasis on those sitting life direction dependant SQA exams. Anyone agree? However, atleast finally we are getting some sun folks-on the positive side.:smile:

Totally agree with you, I was red in the face LOL when I came out the exam hall. Our school STILL had the heating on and the sun was shining right at us.:confused: :confused: :confused: I really hope this happens but I doubt it very much.

Overall I think this was a very fair paper. I hope that we all do well!
Reply 12
Both papers were extremely hard. Guaranteed fail. :thumbsdown:
Reply 13
I actually found the first one a little challenging, maybe if I would have studied for it that wouldn't have been the case though. I found paper 2 pretty simple though.
Reply 14

Maria has been asked to find the roots of the equation
x2+3x+5=0x^2+3x+5=0

She decides to use the quadratic formula

x=b±b24ac2a x=\displaystyle\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}

(a) Calculate the value of b24acb^2-4ac

(b) Now explain why Maria cannot find the roots.

There were two answers to part (b) that were extremely tempting:

1) She's a woman. See this:

Spoiler

2) She can, but they are not real and instead are complex conjugates.
Reply 15
DerBoy
There were two answers to part (b) that were extremely tempting:

1) She's a woman. See this:

Spoiler

2) She can, but they are not real and instead are complex conjugates.

Was it because root 11 is a surd?
Reply 16
Umm... here b24ac=11\sqrt{b^2-4ac}=\sqrt{-11} which is not a real number. So there exist no real roots, so Maria can't find them. (But, as mentioned before, she could find the complex roots).
Reply 17
DerBoy
Umm... here b24ac=11\sqrt{b^2-4ac}=\sqrt{-11} which is not a real number. So there exist no real roots, so Maria can't find them. (But, as mentioned before, she could find the complex roots).

:woo: I got the -11 part.

Didn't have a clue for B though.
Reply 18
For quesiton 8 on paper one, we all wrote that the number was negative, i got A wrong though :/ im such a tool :/
Reply 19
Hopefully i got a B:smile:. I was sooooooooooooo happy there wasnt much unit 3!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending