The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i have the 02 card and i dont have to top it up every month. If i do not top it up on the correct date i do not loose my free texts.

another point i wanted to add is ask in shops etc if they take student cards. Alot of places do not advertise that they do, but if you ask them they will give you a student discount. also help out other flat mates etc with any discount cards you have, and then they may be able to do the same for you. For example i have a whitbread discount card that gets me discount in loads of places including 50% at pizzahut, if any of my flat mates want pizza i will be more than happy to use my card for them. Then if they get discount elsewhere they can return the favour
Reply 21
Eeyore
Yeah but they taste crap!

Not a lot of choice when you don't have an oven :p: Besides, that's not a money saving tip really; I doubt it'd make that much difference.

A more useful one - make your own sandwiches if you're going to be in town for lunch. Much much cheaper than buying lunch every day.
Reply 22
if you like to drink, ive been recommended to drink before you go out, then you dont spend as much money on drink whilst your out
eg: costs £3:70 for a smirnoff ice in my local club, costs £9.88 for 12 at tesco....
:biggrin:
Reply 23
I've got the simcard from O2. When the month is over, i just use the remaining credit (£10) on text messages/calls for the next month, granted, i don't use it much. Next time you topup, you get free txts again. So i spend £60 a year :smile:
Reply 24
Helenia
Not a lot of choice when you don't have an oven :p: Besides, that's not a money saving tip really; I doubt it'd make that much difference.

A more useful one - make your own sandwiches if you're going to be in town for lunch. Much much cheaper than buying lunch every day.

It makes a lot of difference actually - a bag of flour hardly costs anything and it'll make three or four big loaves, yeast hardly costs anything if you buy it in a big packet and it lasts for ages, and the rest is just a teaspoon of sugar, two of salt and then water!
EDIT: But if you don't have an oven then yeah! :p:
Definitely agree about making your own sandwiches - they're ludicrously expensive to buy these days.
Reply 25
And full of crap. Most of the sandwiches from tescos have 10-20, even 30 grams of fat!
Reply 26
get a job so that saving money isnt as much of a necessity lol :p:
Reply 27
poptart86
get a job so that saving money isnt as much of a necessity lol :p:

tbh i've found that people having a job at uni doesn't really change people's spending... people only tend to get jobs at uni if they have to (to pay rent or whatever) and those who do just earn for the hell of it find that they still have to go to clubs on cheap nights, drink before they go out etc. because all their friends do.

Anyway my tips:
* drink before you go out
* try and walk/cycle into uni, i saved myself about £1.50 every day last year by leaving at half past instead of getting the ten to bus.
* don't take your purse with you (or only take a small amount of money) unless you have to buy something because otherwise you find yourself buying loads of snacks between lectures.
* go to clubs early (if you go to my union before 11 it's free, after that it's £2)
* don't take a coat unless it's really cold (and chances are if you're a girl a nice friendly lad will lend you his :p: )
* see if your union/ local club offers a mini bus service- saves a lot on taxis
* don't take your cash card on nights out, that way you won't overspend
* book train tickets 2 weeks in advance, so much cheaper
* make friends with people who work in shops so you rob their discount :smile:
* don't be afraid to eat own brand stuff, it tastes fine and everyone else will do it
* don't always buy designer clothes- high street stuff is much cheaper and normally looks just as good
* look at the psychology department noticeboards- they're always look for volunteers for half hour studies and pay about £5 so are great for just an extra little bit of cash
* don't shop in spar/ corner shops! just walk that bit further and go tescos and you'll save loads (especially on stuff like alcohol)

lou xxx
Reply 28
Im planning to also trudge around charity shops and market stalls whenever I need to buy things, a good way to spot a bargain :smile:
Reply 29
buy handwash stuff and wash your clothes in your wash basin or bath and hang on clothes horses dont pay for drying!
Reply 30
- Only do your washing in the laundry when you have enough to fill the whole thing, if not..handwash! And don't bother tumbledrying its nearly a quid and does nothing, use an airer.

- Buy own brand toileteries, ASDA do good shampoo, bath stuff, shower stuff, or go to Wilkinsons and get cheap Nivea etc.

- Shop with your friends so you can share big things such as pasta, rice between you

- Walk/get the bus rather than using taxis especially in the evenings

- Book train tickets early and get a Young Persons Rail Card!

- Get textbooks from older students if you can rather than buying them new, or share one with a friend
Reply 31
Sophdoph
- Get textbooks from older students if you can rather than buying them new

And if you're lucky it might still have their notes in!
Reply 32
Eeyore
It makes a lot of difference actually - a bag of flour hardly costs anything and it'll make three or four big loaves, yeast hardly costs anything if you buy it in a big packet and it lasts for ages, and the rest is just a teaspoon of sugar, two of salt and then water!
EDIT: But if you don't have an oven then yeah! :p:
Definitely agree about making your own sandwiches - they're ludicrously expensive to buy these days.

I can't imagine the saving would be more than ~£10 over a term or so - plus you have to eat it quickly so that makes it harder! Not having an oven though, as you said, the situation doesn't arise. You could easily save £10 elsewhere for less effort.

poptart86
get a job so that saving money isnt as much of a necessity lol

We're not allowed :p:
Reply 33
if you live in the north go to morrisons, cos it's really cheap - cheaper than ASDA. buy a wok, and make stir fries. it works out cheaper if you make your own food rather than just buying expensive ready meals. oh, and shop at PRIMARK, MATALAN, or MARK ONE (yes i know it's mainly tat, but you'd be surprised what you can find - if you look hard enough you can find decent-looking stuff).
Do shopping for veg etc. in markets when they're reducing the price at the end of a day-you'll be amazed at what you can save. Always look for food in supermarkets that's near its sell by date-again you can save a fortune. Visit all the book sales at Uni and save a fortune on second hand books. Buy packs of meat and share it out between you. Cooking your own food rather than buying ready made will save hundreds over a year.
Reply 35
Helenia
I can't imagine the saving would be more than ~£10 over a term or so - plus you have to eat it quickly so that makes it harder! Not having an oven though, as you said, the situation doesn't arise. You could easily save £10 elsewhere for less effort.

Every little helps. :smile:
EDIT: And I find that homemade bread lasts much longer than supermarket bread, doesn't go mouldy nearly so quickly.
Reply 36
Re: Laundry- get together with ur housemates and share loads of washing, that was you dont have to wait til you have used up all of your white clothes in order to fill a wash load! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Eeyore
Every little helps. :smile:
EDIT: And I find that homemade bread lasts much longer than supermarket bread, doesn't go mouldy nearly so quickly.

tesco 7 day fresh lasts a week (duh) and is only about 50p and tastes fine.

lou xxx
Reply 38
Nicki P
Re: Laundry- get together with ur housemates and share loads of washing, that was you dont have to wait til you have used up all of your white clothes in order to fill a wash load! :biggrin:

or just don't let your whites get too dirty and do them on a cool wash with everything else!

lou xxx
Reply 39
also, dont eat right before you start drinking. or not too much. or not at all haha..

Latest

Trending

Trending