The Student Room Group

Freshers on TSR: Getting Ready for University - Let's Share Top Tips!

Firstly, HUGE congratulations to everyone on getting your results and who are going to university! Your journey is about to begin, and we're here to help you make the most of this exciting time. :biggrin:

Below, we are sharing some of our top tips to ensure you start university on the right foot, we’d also love to hear some of your own!

Tip 1: Organise and Prioritise, Create a checklist for all the things you need to pack and tasks to complete before moving out of your home and into your new university accommodation, or if you’re staying at home - is there anything you need to get sorted out before you start? Prioritise essentials like important and relevant documents, bedding, cooking essentials, and academic/course supplies. Getting organised can help set the tone for a smooth transition! :smartass:

Tip 2: Look into what Fresher's events and activities your University is offering. They're designed to introduce you to university life, campus facilities, and, most importantly, your fellow students. It's an excellent chance to make new friends and ease any first-day jitters. :confused:

Tip 3: Managing Your Money - there are many good reasons for being a student and using your student status as a money-saving tool is one of them! Popular apps like NUS Extra, Unidays, and Student Beans offer a vast variety of discounts to help your money stretch further throughout your studies. Do you have any other money-saving tips? :deal:

Tip 4: Get Ready to Settle Into Your New Accommodation! Whether you are staying in halls or a shared house, make it feel like home. Personalise your space, do your research and get to know the local area and amenities, - A welcoming environment contributes to a positive university experience. What are some of the home comforts you’re going to be taking to your new student accommodation? :bath:

Tip 5: Get Connected, The Student Room can be a great tool for connecting with your future coursemates. Join our university groups to ask questions, share tips, and get to know your future peers. Building connections before you arrive can make the transition smoother. :grouphugs:

Tip 6: Learn Some Cooking Skills! If you're not already a master chef, don't worry! Basic cooking skills can go a long way at university. Start experimenting with simple recipes and save money on takeaways. Share your favorite recipes too below.

Tip 7: Embrace New Experiences, University is a time of growth and discovery. Be open to new experiences, try new hobbies, join a club or society, and attend events that interest you. Stepping out of your comfort zone can lead to incredible personal development. Share your stories of trying something new! :cool:

Let's hear your tips! What advice would you give to fellow students about starting university? Share your insights below and let's support each other on this exciting journey.

Already feeling prepared? why not let tell us what your Top 3 'Desert Island' Uni items will be on this thread
Register :clap2: For :clap2: A :clap2: GP

When I went to uni I thought I was indestructible, didn't have any health issues and didn't anticipate any. Then I ended up in a coma and deeply regretted not updating my GP because it made the paperwork quite difficult.

Register for a GP.
You don't lose anything from it.
I don't know who might need to hear this, but remember to relax and take time for yourself as you settle into uniniversity. Chances are you'll be moving to a new place, meeting new people and beginning to study things you've never studied before. This can get overwhelming! Don't be afraid to know when you need to recharge - take some time out from plunging into uni life and just take a step back for however long you need.
My biggest tip is to bring some card games with you or board games, it's the perfect way to bond with your flat mates/hallmates or new friends :smile:
Hmm, my biggest tip would be to take something special from home...I took my teapot, tea leaves, fave biscuits, and best mug 😅

I started uni as a mature student and lived (on my own) in halls. I didn't know anyone, and am never the best at socializing at the best of times, so after a long day of lectures I'd put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea and a sit down...might sound silly, but that gave me the chance to relax and have a little time to myself.

Even now, I find that putting the kettle on and making a cuppa sets me up for a great day 🫖😊

Amy
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hmm, my biggest tip would be to take something special from home...I took my teapot, tea leaves, fave biscuits, and best mug 😅

I started uni as a mature student and lived (on my own) in halls. I didn't know anyone, and am never the best at socializing at the best of times, so after a long day of lectures I'd put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea and a sit down...might sound silly, but that gave me the chance to relax and have a little time to myself.

Even now, I find that putting the kettle on and making a cuppa sets me up for a great day 🫖😊

Amy

Couldn't agree more, a cup of tea can fix nearly everything! :grouphugs:
Reply 6
Tip # - at the end of your first few classes, just say in a loud voice 'Anyone fancy a coffee?'
Because this stops everyone just drifting off - and actually everyone else was dying for someone to say this.

Tip ## - swap phone numbers - and check in with people regularly - what are you doing today - do you feel like a walk into town - come round for a cup of tea, etc, etc

The more you do this sort of stuff, the more you will feel like you belong and that you have started making friends.
Yes, it all feels a bit cringey to begin with - but you will be very glad that you actually did it.
Reply 7
Buy a door wedge to keep your room door open unless you specifically want it closed. Otherwise they automatically close and it’s quite isolating and makes breaking the ice with flat mates harder. This way if someone is on their way to the kitchen to make themselves that cuppa, they can just casually pop their head around the door and ask if you would like one as well. Opening a door is far less easy.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
But a door wedge to keep your room door open unless you specifically want it closed. Otherwise they automatically close and it’s quite isolating and makes breaking the ice with flat mates harder. This way if someone is on their way to the kitchen to make themselves that cuppa, they can just casually pop their head around the door and ask if you would like one as well. Opening a door is far less easy.

This is a great tip! :smile:
Oh, and don't immediately start talking about your rampant TSR usage to people you meet - apparently it's not that interesting :erm:
Original post by CamembertPaws
Firstly, HUGE congratulations to everyone on getting your results and who are going to university! Your journey is about to begin, and we're here to help you make the most of this exciting time. :biggrin:

Below, we are sharing some of our top tips to ensure you start university on the right foot, we’d also love to hear some of your own!

Tip 1: Organise and Prioritise, Create a checklist for all the things you need to pack and tasks to complete before moving out of your home and into your new university accommodation, or if you’re staying at home - is there anything you need to get sorted out before you start? Prioritise essentials like important and relevant documents, bedding, cooking essentials, and academic/course supplies. Getting organised can help set the tone for a smooth transition! :smartass:

Tip 2: Look into what Fresher's events and activities your University is offering. They're designed to introduce you to university life, campus facilities, and, most importantly, your fellow students. It's an excellent chance to make new friends and ease any first-day jitters. :confused:

Tip 3: Managing Your Money - there are many good reasons for being a student and using your student status as a money-saving tool is one of them! Popular apps like NUS Extra, Unidays, and Student Beans offer a vast variety of discounts to help your money stretch further throughout your studies. Do you have any other money-saving tips? :deal:

Tip 4: Get Ready to Settle Into Your New Accommodation! Whether you are staying in halls or a shared house, make it feel like home. Personalise your space, do your research and get to know the local area and amenities, - A welcoming environment contributes to a positive university experience. What are some of the home comforts you’re going to be taking to your new student accommodation? :bath:

Tip 5: Get Connected, The Student Room can be a great tool for connecting with your future coursemates. Join our university groups to ask questions, share tips, and get to know your future peers. Building connections before you arrive can make the transition smoother. :grouphugs:

Tip 6: Learn Some Cooking Skills! If you're not already a master chef, don't worry! Basic cooking skills can go a long way at university. Start experimenting with simple recipes and save money on takeaways. Share your favorite recipes too below.

Tip 7: Embrace New Experiences, University is a time of growth and discovery. Be open to new experiences, try new hobbies, join a club or society, and attend events that interest you. Stepping out of your comfort zone can lead to incredible personal development. Share your stories of trying something new! :cool:

Let's hear your tips! What advice would you give to fellow students about starting university? Share your insights below and let's support each other on this exciting journey.

Already feeling prepared? why not let tell us what your Top 3 'Desert Island' Uni items will be on this thread

These are some great tips, some of which I wish I had, before the plunge into Uni!:colondollar:

100%, to echo @04MR17 , REGISTER with a GP close to Campus (sometimes on Campus)!!! Hopefully nothing will go too wrong during your first few weeks at any University but, for peace of mind and for flu shots, it's a good idea to know where to go and already be registered!:nurse:

I would say - to add to the above VERY comprehensive list's Tip # 3 - BUDGET is important! :tee:
I found the best way to budget was by looking at my total Student Finance that was planned (this should be under planned payments and on a letter stating your eligibility for an amount of Maintenance Loan) and add this to any other income I was expecting at the time (from my part-time job as a Student Ambassador). With this total amount, and when I expected to be paid these amounts, I would work this out for each Semester/ Term (the Uni's Academic Calendar with rough term times comes in handy here as well as the date that your loan payments are scheduled!).

This way you know: the date that your expected income is coming in; the expected amount; and for a rough number of weeks/period of time that this money has to last. From here subtract your outgoing or expenses! - if you've made it this far well done! :boring:

My accommodation for example was invoiced in three installments across the year:biggrin: (you may be able to request that these align with SFE installment payments if you are struggling) so each installment for one semester I would subtract from my total income for that semester! - simples!:banana:

Also a pro-tip is to look into Washing Facilities at your Accommodation and see if you need a Circuit card OR if it's a cash/contactless pay as you go system (for the budget's expenses):cool: I hope this helps! Remember - there is nearly always help on hand and support available at University, as we understand the transition to Uni can be a lot, so please do reach out to your respective Student Support teams and facilities wherever you go!:flower:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 7 months ago)
Great top tips! I can't stress enough how important registering for a GP is (I also made that mistake in first year).

My top tip is definitely to stay in touch with people! It's so easy to meet someone and exchange numbers, but nothing will happen until one of you actually gets in touch first. So try not to be scared and invite them to go for a coffee! I promise they're as eager to make friends as you are:smile:

Eliza
Uni of Reading Education Studies Student

Good Afternoon,

As a student who commutes into university, here are my top tips 🙂

Check if you are able to get a railcard, this will allow you to get discounts on your travel.

Go to society events - I found that those who commute will not always have the experience of meeting people straight away. Attending society events will allow you to integrate into university life easier and meet a range of new people.

Take your time to explore the surrounding area. Even though my commute is only around an hour, I tried my hardest to use my first year in university to explore. Especially if the university is located in a city centre.

Lockers! If your University has on-site lockers, make use of them. I drop my coat and bag off in the locker whenever I want to go out or simply don't want to carry my things everywhere.

I hope this helps,
Iris - third year Politics student

Leaving home and beginning a new chapter of life as a university student is very exciting but can also be a little stressful. You’re probably wondering what you should pack, which accommodation to choose, whether you will get along with your course mates or housemates, how to manage finances and lots more. Don’t worry! Here’s some guidance that will make your university life much simpler.

Bank account make a wise choice.
If you don’t have a bank account yet, you should get one. That’s where you’ll get your loan paid into and pay for your rent, food, etc. There are many options to choose from so don’t rush into deciding, do some research. There are lots of student offers so make sure you look at all the options before choosing one.

Part-time job when should I apply?
Start applying for jobs before arriving at university to get a head start. At Teesside University, we offer part-time jobs on campus and plenty of universities look for bar staff, wardens, student ambassadors or library help. Usually, these job adverts appear on their website during the summer and the deadline is before you even start your first year, so start looking early.

Food you can do it yourself.
Learn some cooking skills! You might not be keen on cooking at all, but trust me, your life gets easier once you know how to prepare something for yourself. As a student, you want to save cash rather than spending lots on eating out. You don’t need to become a master chef, but simple recipes can save you money. A healthy diet is good for you, you need a lot of vitamins to get through three years of university and graduate with the best grades. Buy your veggies and fruits at markets. You can get a full bag of them for around £5.

Student offers make the most of them.
An amazing part of being a student is the discounts! Register on myunidays.com and get student discounts to many shops such as ASOS, Domino’s, Apple, Hollister, JD, and many more.

Difficulties at university? They’re here to help!
Having troubles adapting to a new environment? Problems with your assignments? Lack of friends? Whatever your issue is, don’t hesitate to ask for help. Ask your personal tutor for help and advice with your assignments. It’s always better to ask a million questions than to be confused and anxious. If you’re feeling lonely there are plenty of sports clubs and societies to join and it’s a perfect way to meet new people. If you’re stressing out with university work or your personal life there is a fantastic counselling service available. Remember, you are not alone.

These tips should make it a bit easier for you to start a new chapter in your life and have a great university experience!

I hope this helps
Hannah
Teesside Uni
Original post by 04MR17
Register :clap2: For :clap2: A :clap2: GP

When I went to uni I thought I was indestructible, didn't have any health issues and didn't anticipate any. Then I ended up in a coma and deeply regretted not updating my GP because it made the paperwork quite difficult.

Register for a GP.
You don't lose anything from it.

^^^^ this 100% for sure
You never know when your body will will betray you :tongue:

Not to scare freshers but...
- what I thought was freshers flu was actually a gallbladder attack and ended up in A&E
- never had tonsilitis so much in my life since coming to uni :eek4:
- collapsed lungs can be common in tall men - it's actually happened to someone on my course
- you might have an undiagnosed learning difference which might not be evident until you get to uni, and the demands of trying to cope, outweigh everything else. Many people including myself have been diagnosed with dyslexia, dyspraxia, adhd, etc.

Also if you're on repeat prescriptions check if your eligible for any exemptions e.g. nhs health exemption for prescriptions, and HC1 /HC2 etc.

Regarding dentistry
If you have a dentist, you can probably get away with keeping your dentist at home, and schedule appointments for around Christmas holidays or summer holidays, especially considering how hard it is to find one that will take you as many are full.
(edited 1 month ago)
Some uni's will have Self certification extension policies where you don't need to submit evidence. These are usually have a limit of once or twice per year, and are reset every academic year.

Most people I talk to don't realise they are eligible for these extensions. They were bought in during the covid pandemic, and many uni's have kept them because it helps student MH etc.

Also apply for DSA (disabled students allowance) if you think you may be eligible.

And find at least one person in your uni's subject department who you can go to if you need clarification on something. Mostly this would probably be your academic tutor or module convenor(s) for a specific module.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hey!

These are great tips! I would also add:

bring a packet of biscuits or a box of sweets (like celebrations or heroes) to put on your kitchen table when you first move into halls. Everyone loves it and its a good way to start a conversation when things feel a tad awkward!

bring hangers, nail clippers and an extension cord- everyone forgets these!

try as many sports clubs or societies as you can! its a great way to try something new, improve confidence and meet new people :smile:

offer people a cup of tea when they come in the kitchen :wink:

do things that make you feel happy, as well as spending time with others. fill your own cup first. find that balance between work and enjoyment.

do not be afraid to ask for help! there are many resources available to support you, such as the student room forum, wellbeing services and advice services through your university and student union.

good luck!

Lucy
2nd year languages student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending