The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
lol, I hate analysing pieces of music. It's music, just play the god damn piece.:rolleyes:
Reply 181
Throughout A-level I was analysing pieces. I don't mind doing it though.

However when I hear a piece I've anaylsed it is really difficult to listen to it without things going through your mind about the piece!
Anyone here played Franz Lizst's Hungarian Rhapsody number two? They use it on that really cool black and white Stella Artois advert!

I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.
Reply 183
No, I'll listen out for it!

A Liszt piece I like is his Consolation Number 2
mikeski

whats the name of tyhem 1s that have sumthin like 106 keys or sumthin ?? :confused:

http://www.boesendorfer.com/_english_version/index.html

This is as big as it gets, 97 keys, 9'6 long, and about £120,000ish.
Frosty Phantom
What piano has everybody got? I have a Samick :s-smilie:.....

Cool!

I've got (or rather family has got) a Bluthner. I think its this model, about 6'ish:

http://www.bluthner.co.uk/images/pianos/used/bl60850.jpg

Dream piano for me would be a Yamaha S6.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/piano/product/asia/acoustic/grand/s_s/s_s.html
Oo, could I join please? I don't believe I didn't find this society sooner.

Are we limited to only 3 of our favourite pieces? I'll struggle. I'll chose samples, otherwise we'll just end up with a list of Chopin.

Chopin's 2nd Scherzo - though all of them are fantastic.
Brahms' Rhapsody in B minor - the G minor is also good, but not nearly so fun.
Scriabin's 2nd (I think) sonata.

Shame I can't actually play any of them, really. I'm working up the courage to start on the Brahms, but after a traumatic experience with the G minor in my A level prac I think it'll be a while before I attempt ANY Brahms. :P

Edit: Oops - I forgot to mention that I'm roughly grade 8 standard, though this is not a particularly accurate estimate. I can't play Mozart to save my life, but I can competently play some well post Grade-8 Chopin pieces.
Reply 187
1 - black, whit, pink, brown etc...? what colour do you think best suits a piano?

personally i think polished black. :smile:

2 - upright, grand etc...

i think grand is the best :smile:
Reply 188
what's grade?? :confused:

Black looks elegant :biggrin:
Reply 189
grand** :rolleyes: :redface:
Reply 190
:rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 191
Hmm ........ I want a Steinway polished black grand piano and I want it now!
Reply 192
jcd
Hmm ........ I want a Steinway polished black grand piano and I want it now!

ano me 2!!!!!!!!!! :frown:
Reply 193
so whats every1 up to the night? i flicked through the tv and the proms where on, im not rly interested in it cuz there wasnt a piano :frown: but hey, mayb there was b4 i watched it or wateva, so... any news?
Reply 194
Totally got side tracked so missed the last night. I'm annoyed!

Going to practice today - might get out some Chopin Preludes around grade 6/7 to have a go at

Also carry on with my Clementi and Einaudi :biggrin:
This Beethoven piece is really bugging me..(Sonata in E Minor) grade 8. Grrrr!! I can't get the left hand to sound smooth! It always sounds really frantic even though it's meant to be mezzo piano. It doesn't help that I Have to turn a page in the middle of it and lose my momentum!

Reply 196
You are allowed to photocopy a page if it helps to overcome problems.

Practice it really slowly and get it as smooth as you can and gradually speed it up, but don't increase your speed until its perfectly smooth at the previous tempo

Hope this helps
Reply 197
im rly in the mood to play a piano, but i only have a keybored :frown: there isnt anywhere you can go to play around here, cept for my school, and i dont know many schools open on a sunday... ah well, jus have to wait til the marra :rolleyes: :frown:
Reply 198
Frosty Phantom
This Beethoven piece is really bugging me..(Sonata in E Minor) grade 8. Grrrr!! I can't get the left hand to sound smooth! It always sounds really frantic even though it's meant to be mezzo piano. It doesn't help that I Have to turn a page in the middle of it and lose my momentum!

Are you talking about the B piece in Grade 8?
Reply 199
My three piano pieces are La Campanella by Liszt, 'Piano Thing' by Matthew Bellamy and Moonlight Sonata =)

Quick Reply

Latest