The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hummi_C
Any Einaudi fans here?? :biggrin:

Yes. :ninja:
Starting to make my own music. Also trying to learn how to freestyle piano play. I've got pretty good at it. It helps having perfect pitch quite a bit I think tbh because I know how the chord will sound before playing.

Try a C minor chord minor 7, g minor chord, c minor chord, g minor, then a flat major, then a flat major 9.
Or a simple one, g minor and a minor 7.
Reply 1982
Original post by Bude8
Can anyone here play any of Chopin's Etudes?

Haven't played op. 10 no. 1 properly in a long time, would need some practice to bring it up to speed. Gave up on 10/8 a few years ago when I was 80% done, it was killing my hands. I'm planning to get a teacher again to brush up my technique, and I'll probably try 10/5 next. The ultimate goal is 25/12! Are you planning to play any?
Original post by scherzi
Haven't played op. 10 no. 1 properly in a long time, would need some practice to bring it up to speed. Gave up on 10/8 a few years ago when I was 80% done, it was killing my hands. I'm planning to get a teacher again to brush up my technique, and I'll probably try 10/5 next. The ultimate goal is 25/12! Are you planning to play any?

Umm yeah, I really want to learn Op 10 No 4... I'm only Grade 5 so it will take agesssssssss but I find the ABRSM material SO boring right now, I almost want to hop directly to Grade 8... But I have started listening to more classical and when I heard 10/4 I had a strong desire to learn and play it LOL.
I've got it, gonna get the prelude chopin collection, wanna play prelude in E minor, easy and quick to learn unlike the nocturnes, but I want to get better at dynamics and it's nice and soothing to listen to
Hi :biggrin:

I was meant to be doing my Grade 8 last summer, but cos I got distracted by my GCSEs, I'm having to learn the new syllabus :frown: Sad times. I liked the old syllabus.
I've learnt my B and C pieces, but can someone help me choose my A piece? :P
I always seem to choose the most randomest pieces ><
I'm learning an extract from (towards the end):
[video="youtube;vwc-nmyPm4I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc-nmyPm4I[/video]
Here is the part I am currently learning, from the 2nd bar.

Now, my rhythm sucks pretty bad. How would you guys advise me to learn this part? Play it together with both hands slowly? Hands separately? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Bude8
Now, my rhythm sucks pretty bad. How would you guys advise me to learn this part? Play it together with both hands slowly? Hands separately? Thanks in advance :smile:

The rhythm doesn't look too bad to me - both hands slowly counting the semiquavers then working towards counting the quavers would be the obvious way from first glance. :dontknow:
Original post by alex_hk90
The rhythm doesn't look too bad to me - both hands slowly counting the semiquavers then working towards counting the quavers would be the obvious way from first glance. :dontknow:

Yeah it's not too bad but I'm finding it a bit difficult... xD
Thanks for the help though
I really want to learn Chopin's Etude Op 10 No 2 for some reason
Original post by Bude8
I'm learning an extract from (towards the end):
[video="youtube;vwc-nmyPm4I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc-nmyPm4I[/video]
Here is the part I am currently learning, from the 2nd bar.

Very slowly with both hands, take care, take notice of your hand position on each step, master one bar before moving onto the next. I never really see the point in practising hands separately.
Original post by Bude8
Yeah it's not too bad but I'm finding it a bit difficult... xD
Thanks for the help though

To be fair I just tried it and it is a bit tricky. :yes:
Original post by alex_hk90
To be fair I just tried it and it is a bit tricky. :yes:

I'm like Grade 5 standard so it will most likely kill my hands... But I don't mind spending a long time learning it - it's one of the nicest sounding pieces I've heard and it should be very rewarding.

Edit: Thought you meant this, not the part I first mentioned xD
[video="youtube;Vx02vWfSGiU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx02vWfSGiU[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
I'm like Grade 5 standard so it will most likely kill my hands... But I don't mind spending a long time learning it - it's one of the nicest sounding pieces I've heard and it should be very rewarding.

Edit: Thought you meant this, not the part I first mentioned xD

I meant that small part. :redface: I'm at a similar standard so I couldn't "just try" that. :no:
When should I stop playing? As in, with arm related pains.
Right now, my brachioradialis (fore arm) is quite hot, from playing a chromatic with my weakest fingers...
I know you should stop ASAP if you have pain in upper middle hand though
Reply 1994
Op.10 no.2 is extremely difficult. To the less experienced pianist it sounds fairly easy, but to play that chromatic scale, legatissimo, with the 3rd, 4th and 5th at that speed... so hard! If you're around Grade 5 level I wouldn't bother going anywhere near this. It's probably the hardest Chopin etude, and they are all very hard...

Oh, and by the way - you are arm shouldn't be aching, that indicates incorrect technique. Practising Op.10 no.2 your fingers will ache a lot at first, it is definitely recommended to stop playing and don't push it too hard

Since starting Music at University my playing has come on leaps and bounds, through a lot of hard work, 2-3 hours of practice a day. I just finished learning Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G Minor (Op.23 no.5), Chopin Nocturne in B (Op.9 No.3) and C minor (Op.posth). The Rachmaninoff was quite a stretch technically for me and the Nocturne in B was also pretty difficult, C minor was easy though. Got given Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues for Christmas and have been working through a few of them now - good practice for sight reading although some of them are really difficult. Was also given Beethoven's piano sonatas, have had a cursory glance at Op.2 no.1 so far.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1995
Original post by Bude8
Umm yeah, I really want to learn Op 10 No 4... I'm only Grade 5 so it will take agesssssssss but I find the ABRSM material SO boring right now, I almost want to hop directly to Grade 8... But I have started listening to more classical and when I heard 10/4 I had a strong desire to learn and play it LOL.

Progressing through each grade one at a time isn't necessarily necessary. Ask your teacher if you feel you can jump a few.

I'd practice La Campanella hands separately, very slowly at first. When playing slowly you should make sure all your hand movements are smooth and easy. Go through it at least once with your teacher to make sure you aren't practicing the same mistakes over and over (fingering, hand positions).
Original post by tdawe
Op.10 no.2 is extremely difficult. To the less experienced pianist it sounds fairly easy, but to play that chromatic scale, legatissimo, with the 3rd, 4th and 5th at that speed... so hard! If you're around Grade 5 level I wouldn't bother going anywhere near this. It's probably the hardest Chopin etude, and they are all very hard...

Oh, and by the way - you are arm shouldn't be aching, that indicates incorrect technique. Practising Op.10 no.2 your fingers will ache a lot at first, it is definitely recommended to stop playing and don't push it too hard

Since starting Music at University my playing has come on leaps and bounds, through a lot of hard work, 2-3 hours of practice a day. I just finished learning Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G Minor (Op.23 no.5), Chopin Nocturne in B (Op.9 No.3) and C minor (Op.posth). The Rachmaninoff was quite a stretch technically for me and the Nocturne in B was also pretty difficult, C minor was easy though. Got given Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues for Christmas and have been working through a few of them now - good practice for sight reading although some of them are really difficult. Was also given Beethoven's piano sonatas, have had a cursory glance at Op.2 no.1 so far.

Ahh, I love the Prelude!
And actually, I can play it at about 140 bpm, without my hands hurting. It's really weird, because my hands did not hurt once at all while practicing, just my forearm got a tad hot. I'm on the computer a lot and have been for many years, so maybe my hand is already conditioned nicely. I don't know if my technique is wrong...
I can play the first 12 or so bars hands together of the Etude now :smile:
I don't want to give up, I see a lot of musical value from learning it... I might try and jump to Grade 8 after learning it.

Original post by scherzi
Progressing through each grade one at a time isn't necessarily necessary. Ask your teacher if you feel you can jump a few.

I'd practice La Campanella hands separately, very slowly at first. When playing slowly you should make sure all your hand movements are smooth and easy. Go through it at least once with your teacher to make sure you aren't practicing the same mistakes over and over (fingering, hand positions).

Haven't seen my teacher recently due to Christmas holidays, but I will go through the part of La Campanella and Etude Op 10 No 2 that I can play and discuss future plans. I'd like to learn all of the Etude, but only the end of La Campanella for now, then Grade 8 stuff maybe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh man, I just found this!
I want to learn how to play the Cockney intro but I suck at playing by ear :frown:
[video="youtube;ZQyR0HRxNEA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyR0HRxNEA[/video]
Reply 1998
Original post by Bude8
Ahh, I love the Prelude!
And actually, I can play it at about 140 bpm, without my hands hurting. It's really weird, because my hands did not hurt once at all while practicing, just my forearm got a tad hot. I'm on the computer a lot and have been for many years, so maybe my hand is already conditioned nicely. I don't know if my technique is wrong...
I can play the first 12 or so bars hands together of the Etude now :smile:
I don't want to give up, I see a lot of musical value from learning it... I might try and jump to Grade 8 after learning it.

Haven't seen my teacher recently due to Christmas holidays, but I will go through the part of La Campanella and Etude Op 10 No 2 that I can play and discuss future plans. I'd like to learn all of the Etude, but only the end of La Campanella for now, then Grade 8 stuff maybe.

I didn't mean to sound negative - certainly don't give up if you are motivated and want to carry on :smile:
Once complete it will certainly be a huge technical boon for you. At the time of Chopin composing Op.10/2 the fingering was revolutionary, and perhaps it is fair to say that out of all the etudes this may provide the most gain from a purely technical viewpoint. If you have a mind to learn Op.25/11 knowing 10/2 will help a lot too.
Hey guys i was looking for some similar music to something here: http://www.putlocker.com/file/DC68675A2CA8B524# From 46:30 until th ending, though unsure how to find similar music to it. Also the sort of music like Philip Glass 'the hours'. Piano music like that is quite common in tv and movies but likewise i can't see to be able find similar music very well at all. I know Michael Nyman is similarish to what i want here but that's all really! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest