The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
that's the plan :p:
Reply 1381
Are finger exercises productive, useless, or even harmful? Discuss...
im giving up...

i just cant complete grade 8 piano for exam..

going to withdraw and tell teacher im cancelling lessons.

i agree with her...so much lost potential..i was winning competitions at grade 5-6 etc...but it all went so terribly wrong somewhere :frown:

might continue to play piano now and then but doubt ill
try and complete exam in future :frown:

my mum is extremly upset...even though i told her and kept telling her from grade 1 i hated piano :p:
Reply 1383
Oh, don't be like that. It's only a matter of time before you hear a piece you like and want to give it a shot, right?

The exams themselves have limited value, but I think it's a nice skill to have.

Indeed, I'm another one who didn't do grade 8 - my teacher retired, and I just never bothered to find a new one. I learned three pieces anyway, though, but my motivation didn't last. And um, scales and such. Ew.
I play for my own sake now, though!

Still - there's nothing wrong with wanting to quit, and there's nothing wrong with going back on that in future if you decide to take it up again.

And I'm just babbling around in circles so I'll be quiet now :p:

As for finger exercises...I'm sort of regretting not bothering with them now. Playing quickly with control is something I find extremely difficult.
So I'd say they're useful - but that doesn't mean that everyone should worship them. They have value only when they help people play 'real' pieces~
the thing which annoys me is that i get the impression from
my mum that shell be more upset that i dont obtain a piece
of paper that she will be able to wave infront of her friends,
rather than the fact that i have more or less given up for good.
Reply 1385
Awh *holds*

Well, she has no right to be 'disappointed' as such, in you. But you may be looking at the situation from the wrong angle - she just wants you to do your best and achieve a high standard, right? Perhaps the 'waving infront of her friends' thing isn't as high on her priority list (wouldn't be a very thing admirable if it were, to be honest).

And well...you did grade 7 right? Seven, eight...what's the difference. It's just experimental error or something like that.
Playing to such a high standard while loathing it from the beginning is surely a display of enough determination, no? ;p

Cheer up ~
Reply 1386
Why do you feel you cannot complete the exam?
because im not the kind of person who can practise several
hours a day something i hate (which is what i need to do
now to pass it minimum).

i cant sing to save my life so therefore those marks are
virtually gone and the standard of my pieces isnt up to
scratch.

it doesnt help that i went on long holidays to countrys
where i had no access to the piano as well as v.little practising during Jan exams :frown:
Reply 1388
You will pass it! HAVE FAITH!
no i wont :smile:

and i dont plan on embaressing myself with a crappy
attempt.
Reply 1390
Well then, I won't force you to :p: (let's ignore the fact that I'm really unable to do so anyway).
Still, say you won't completely drop playing...

I was thinking of going for it again, but it'd just be like doing an exam for the sake of doing an exam, which is a little pointless. And I think the pieces I did learn have 'expired' anyway.
Reply 1391
Does anybody else here like Skrjabin's piano music? I find it extremely addictive!

(Let's try and bring the thread back to life. :smile:
I love it! That is, if you mean Scriabin (Anglicised spelling). His preludes are gorgeous.

(Sorry, not a soc member here, just thought I'd pitch in!)
I quite like some of his music, not that clued up to comment much though! From what I've heard of it, I would recommend it :biggrin:.

What is everyone playing at the moment? I'm trying to learn pieces for my grade 7! If I ever get around to doing it, I've been putting it off for ages!
Reply 1394
I'm learning a few Chopin and Debussy pieces... nothing major really... GCSEs are a bit more important lol
Reply 1395
the_alba
I love it! That is, if you mean Scriabin (Anglicised spelling). His preludes are gorgeous.

That is who I mean. :smile: (I've seen his name spelt quite a few ways)

I agree; his preludes are yummy. :biggrin:

(So are his etudes - I have not looked at the piano sonatas yet. )
I'm learning Bach's Prelude in C major (WTC) at the moment, along with a Carl Czerny piece and Jazz Waltz from the 2nd Microjazz book.
Reply 1397
For anybody who might want a piece to introduce them to Scriabin, this is Horowitz playing Etude Op 8 No 12

I feel the interpretation captures the passion of Scriabin, and I love how he creates a calm before the storm, around the 1:31-1:36 mark.
Long time since last post! Is this still on? Can I join?

Anyone got any recommendations for tuning a baby grand and servicing and tuning an upright? (I need both done)...
Wow, don't believe I didn't know this thread existed...

I'm ukebert, I have grade 8 Piano (merit, 4 marks off distinction, excuse: I had it on a mangy 100 year old upright with virtually no tonal variation). I also have the lower level diploma from the guildhall (pass, not good enough for anything more, besides, didn't do enough practice :redface:)

At present I am learning Gershwin's rhapsody in blue, solo piano version, the 4 duets by Bach, a couple of Schubert impromptus, and Bachs Aria Variata.

Quick Reply

Latest