The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Passed my Grde 8 the other day with a score of 100. Didn't half cut it close did i? Chuffed i got the grade 8 though :smile:
Reply 1781
alex_hk90
That happened to me since I use a keyboard at uni and have a upright piano at home, but after a few times on the proper piano I was fine. :yep:

Yes, the pieces I learnt on the piano in the first place seem to be fine. However, the pieces I learnt on the keyboard aren't translating well over to the piano. I will have to re-learn them on the piano now. :o:

I'm never touching a keyboard piano again. :/
Reply 1782
Rose W
Urgh, played on a keyboard piano for a while (don't ask why) and now I've moved back to the grand piano - keys feel so weird. I can't seem to apply the appropriate weight to each key. The keyboard has messed everything up. :/

How long did you play the keyboard for?
Reply 1783
scherzi
How long did you play the keyboard for?

Just after the exams (start of June-ish) till last week.
Reply 1784
Rose W
Urgh, played on a keyboard piano for a while (don't ask why) and now I've moved back to the grand piano - keys feel so weird. I can't seem to apply the appropriate weight to each key. The keyboard has messed everything up. :/

I started learning on a keyboard and went to Grade 3 with it. After screwing up my exam (109, and I'd worked really hard for a better pass) because of the weighted keys I got myself a proper weighted digital piano and feel much more comfortable after a couple of months on it. I was worried I'd have to go backwards a bit to reacquaint, but it wasn't too bad. Glad I switched now though. Don't think I could do my Grade 4 without weighted key practice.
Reply 1785
benmh92
Passed my Grde 8 the other day with a score of 100. Didn't half cut it close did i? Chuffed i got the grade 8 though :smile:

Congratulations on your pass! :biggrin:

JRaphael
I started learning on a keyboard and went to Grade 3 with it. After screwing up my exam (109, and I'd worked really hard for a better pass) because of the weighted keys I got myself a proper weighted digital piano and feel much more comfortable after a couple of months on it. I was worried I'd have to go backwards a bit to reacquaint, but it wasn't too bad. Glad I switched now though. Don't think I could do my Grade 4 without weighted key practice.

Definitely! Good move, you won't regret it. :smile:
Reply 1786
Rose W
Just after the exams (start of June-ish) till last week.

Relying on muscle memory comes with its vices and having difficulty adjusting to heavier piano actions is one of them I guess, though I think arm strength overcomes it. My upright has a pretty heavy touch but I can't transfer fast passages to my school grand, whereas my bigger friends who practice on a keyboard have no problem. Small hands suck :nopity:
Reply 1787
scherzi
Relying on muscle memory comes with its vices and having difficulty adjusting to heavier piano actions is one of them I guess, though I think arm strength overcomes it. My upright has a pretty heavy touch but I can't transfer fast passages to my school grand, whereas my bigger friends who practice on a keyboard have no problem. Small hands suck :nopity:

I find my long spindly fingers are no use there, too. Advantage when playing huge Rachmaninov style chords, disadvantage when it comes to strength/stamina. :unimpressed:
scherzi
Lots to choose from Chopin: some of his nocturnes (and maybe mazurkas) should be post-grade-eight-appropriate, along with a couple of his waltzes. E.g. this and this - there are many more gems from his nocturnes and waltzes you may prefer, have a listen through them.

I think these two etudes are a good way to step up after grade 8 (op10/12 sounds harder than it is):

Though it's commonly played, I'll suggest Pathetique 1st movt just because it's Beethoven

Thank you for those. I like the idea of learning one of his waltzes, so I'll go through them. I really like the one you linked to.

On another note (no pun intended :smile:), I recently found out that I got a Distinction in my exam!! :eek: :woo: :eek3: :biggrin:
Reply 1789
Mrr. My piano's been moved into my new house. I'm stuck for 2 weeks without one... I can feel my skills atrophy! Noo! :woo:
JRaphael
Mrr. My piano's been moved into my new house. I'm stuck for 2 weeks without one... I can feel my skills atrophy! Noo! :woo:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm on holiday at the moment and so by the time I get back will not have touched a piano or even a keyboard for over two weeks. :sad:
I've been playing piano since I was 8, I'm completely addicted to it! Uni starts soon though and I can't bring my piano with me, so it will be hard to play regularly ;/
Original post by &#1500
I've been playing piano since I was 8, I'm completely addicted to it! Uni starts soon though and I can't bring my piano with me, so it will be hard to play regularly ;/

Most unis will have music rooms you can use, or if you're lazy like me you could buy an electronic keyboard (while it hasn't got the same feel it still helps to keep up with it). :smile:
alex_hk90
Most unis will have music rooms you can use, or if you're lazy like me you could buy an electronic keyboard (while it hasn't got the same feel it still helps to keep up with it). :smile:

Really? Thanks, I didn't know that :smile:
Well, I can't afford to buy an electronic keyboard now, but hopefully I'll figure something out :woo:
hey, anybody here done or doing the DipLCM?
im really nervous about doing it because of the standard expected
i've been playing the piano casually for about 3 years now, although alot moreso recently, i had lessons from when i was around 7 but i quit them when i failed my grade 6 :colondollar:
i'm actually a lot better now and i'm doing about 30 mins - 1 hour of practice every day, just playing various different things.
would it be a silly idea to take grade 6 again on my own without lessons? and then maybe move on to further grades after that. i reckon i could do it with a few more months of working on the pieces which i've already started on. i just don't really have masses time for tuition, and i tend to become extremely bad at practicing as soon as somebody starts telling me to do it :p:

has anybody else here taken grades independently and would i be better off just finding a teacher so they can help with technique and suchlike?

thanks if anybody sees this/responds :h:
ourlastmemory
i've been playing the piano casually for about 3 years now, although alot moreso recently, i had lessons from when i was around 7 but i quit them when i failed my grade 6 :colondollar:
i'm actually a lot better now and i'm doing about 30 mins - 1 hour of practice every day, just playing various different things.

Cool - that's pretty much what I've been doing (gave up after my Grade 6 and playing for fun now). :smile:

ourlastmemory
would it be a silly idea to take grade 6 again on my own without lessons? and then maybe move on to further grades after that. i reckon i could do it with a few more months of working on the pieces which i've already started on. i just don't really have masses time for tuition, and i tend to become extremely bad at practicing as soon as somebody starts telling me to do it :p:

I don't think it's silly at all. I've been thinking about skipping Grade 7 and going for Grade 8 by myself. Maybe find a teacher or a more experienced player to give you advise / mock exams once you're ready, but I see no reason why it can't be done. :nah:
ourlastmemory

has anybody else here taken grades independently and would i be better off just finding a teacher so they can help with technique and suchlike?

thanks if anybody sees this/responds :h:

I don't think it's at all a silly idea to try, but it might be worth just getting a couple of lessons or so before the exam. I've always had a teacher, and feel like I'd be much worse off without being given constructive criticism on my playing, and I do think it could be quite tricky to do preparation for the aural tests yourself, and to a certain extent it might be difficult to judge your own ability to sight-read too. Good luck, whatever you decide to do :biggrin:
LostHorizons
I don't think it's at all a silly idea to try, but it might be worth just getting a couple of lessons or so before the exam. I've always had a teacher, and feel like I'd be much worse off without being given constructive criticism on my playing, and I do think it could be quite tricky to do preparation for the aural tests yourself, and to a certain extent it might be difficult to judge your own ability to sight-read too. Good luck, whatever you decide to do :biggrin:

Aural tests aren't a problem because I've done higher grades in other instruments but yeah I'm thinking it would be nice to have somebody tell me whether I'm doing something wrong, or could be doing it better. My sight reading does suck however :p: I can probs contact my old teacher and she'd be happy to give me some help, she still accompanies me for singing and things like that.

Thankyou for the advice and speedy reply :smile: I'm actually well up for this challenge haha, I was so disappointed last time after I failed I really want to prove to myself I can do it :biggrin:
Can anyone reccomend any keyboard to take to uni with me?
I'm going to Glamorgan uni, I don't think has a music facility therefore I'm just gonna get a keyboard, to play in my room. I am currently doing my grade 8 so was thinking of weighted 76 keys... but 88 seems cool though =/ eurrgh decisions decisions.

Something like this maybe? http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/cme-uf70-76-key-semi-weighted-midi-controller-keyboard--38324

Also, I will also go to shops and make sure 76 keys will be enough for me too so don't worry aobut me buying online etc.

Quick Reply

Latest