The Student Room Group

2 year arts degrees

Most arts degrees could be reduced to 2 years because they are largely not vocational and the knowledge they confer is seldom used or needed in the workplace. This is not about cramming 3 years work into 2 years but cutting the degree content.

Foe example, most people doing english or histroy degrees go onto jobs that do not specify a degree subject, i.e, the degree content is irrelevant to the job. So why spend an extra year and money learning about stuff that will have no relevance in ones future employment? If arts students do want to go on to do research in their field, they could opt for a masters or DPhil which most have to do anyway.

Science, technology and vocational degrees are different because they need the knowledge and practical skills they learn over 3 years to do their job such as in nursing or fashion design.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Foe example, most people doing english or histroy degrees go onto jobs that do not specify a degree subject, i.e, the degree content is irrelevant to the job. So why spend an extra year and money learning about stuff that will have no relevance in ones future employment?

Because people who study arts degree's aren't necessarily interested in how it might lead onto a job, they are studying something they are passionate about and so funnily enough just rushing through their studies so that they can go work for PWC is not on most of their minds. It's very depressing to meet people like you who quite frankly have a very myopic and devalued view of university as some sort of trial to endure before starting a career. It's exactly these sort of views that threaten our tertiary education system. Now piss off you horrible little individual.
because uni isnt all about job prospects.
Reply 3
reviresco
Because people who study arts degree's aren't necessarily interested in how it might lead onto a job, they are studying something they are passionate about and so funnily enough just rushing through their studies so that they can go work for PWC is not on most of their minds. It's very depressing to meet people like you who quite frankly have a very myopic and devalued view of university as some sort of trial to endure before starting a career. It's exactly these sort of views that threaten our tertiary education system. Now piss off you horrible little individual.

So how many years of doing an Arts degree did you have to do before you could write such as flimsy arguement?
Reply 4
a large chunk of the third year is dedicated to looking at quite a narrow topic within the dissertation project. remove one year- so basically you have one year of more bredth learning about your subject, then straight in to dissertation in second year- its just not enough time spent investigating your discipline. you'd end up with a poor quality degree.

also i agree with reviresco.

and i take it you are a science student (or similar) and have no experience of an arts degree. i really enjoy the science and maths bias on TSR. fills me with a fuzzy feeling inside.
This seems like a joke thread. :rofl: You can't possibly be serious.

If you're going to cut degree content on the basis of 'it's not relevant to future careers', why stop at cutting one year? Why not cut two years off? Why not two and a half years? Why not three years? Why have you arbitrarily decided that two years is the right length for a degree that is non-vocational?

Fact: Degree length is not determined by how relevant the content is to a job. Therefore, arbitrary lengths of time are not going to be cut off degrees on that basis. Therefore, your point is moot.

/end thread
Reply 6
Surely most science students also get jobs unrelated to the content in their degree ...
My friend has a chemistry degree, but works in Sainsbury's... he didn't need his degree to do that... maybe he should have had a year or so cut off of that?
Reply 8
Wow i'm personally gonna study a science subject at uni but your post still pisses me off. I'm studying my subject because i enjoy it and not because it will lead me to a specific job. I'm sure it's the same for arts students. They're studying what they're passionate about. You only get 1 life so spend it learning something your interested in.

You're working to live not living to work.
Reply 9
Pink Bullets
This seems like a joke thread. :rofl: You can't possibly be serious.

If you're going to cut degree content on the basis of 'it's not relevant to future careers', why stop at cutting one year? Why not cut two years off? Why not two and a half years? Why not three years? Why have you arbitrarily decided that two years is the right length for a degree that is non-vocational?

Fact: Degree length is not determined by how relevant the content is to a job. Therefore, arbitrary lengths of time are not going to be cut off degrees on that basis. Therefore, your point is moot.

/end thread

Why not let students decide how long their degrees lasts for. It would be as short as a year or as long as the student wanted.
Reply 10
Why not let students decide how long their degrees lasts for. It would be as short as a year or as long as the student wanted.

A highly intelligent comment, how practical to implement a huge pick and mix of degree lengths based on the individuals own whims. I'd imagine it would be fairly cheap and easy to create and run this diverse series of courses concertinaed or expanded at will, probably without even having to increase staffing, and having some homogeneity in the level of achievement of graduating students is of course extremely overrated, employers would im sure have much more fun just guessing which applicants to employ.
Maker

Why not also let students mark their own assignments and set their own exam questions?

Because for a 'degree' to mean anything, there has be at least some standards that define what a degree is. Why should one person who's studied English literature for a month and another person who's studied English literature for three years both get the same qualification?

If someone wants to study a subject for the equivalent of one third of a degree, they can do so with the Open University (or similar modular programmes) but they won't get a degree because they haven't earned one.
Reply 12
Pink Bullets
Why not also let students mark their own assignments and set their own exam questions?

Because for a 'degree' to mean anything, there has be at least some standards that define what a degree is. Why should one person who's studied English literature for a month and another person who's studied English literature for three years both get the same qualification?

If someone wants to study a subject for the equivalent of one third of a degree, they can do so with the Open University (or similar modular programmes) but they won't get a degree because they haven't earned one.

You do not understand my point.

People's attainments should be judged on their output, not the time it takes them to complete courses of work and exams.

If people have completed all the relevant coursework and done all the exams after a year, why should they have to wait another 2 years just hanging around doing nothing?

Also, if people want a break in their course, why can't they suspend their study and come back and pick up where they left off?

Theres no logic in making everyone take 3 years to do a degree, its the output that counts, not the time taken.

Brian May took 36 years to complete his PhD.
Maker
You do not understand my point.

People's attainments should be judged on their output, not the time it takes them to complete courses of work and exams.

If people have completed all the relevant coursework and done all the exams after a year, why should they have to wait another 2 years just hanging around doing nothing?

Also, if people want a break in their course, why can't they suspend their study and come back and pick up where they left off?

Theres no logic in making everyone take 3 years to do a degree, its the output that counts, not the time taken.

Brian May took 36 years to complete his PhD.

Errr... so whatever happened to "This is not about cramming 3 years work into 2 years but cutting the degree content."?

Changing your tune? Because what you're suggesting now IS cramming 3 years' work into fewer years.
Reply 14
What about languages? Languages are arts degrees which provide you with practical skills that may often be used in the work place and certainly aren't something you could cram into 2 years when 4 is required.

I think you are forgetting that for many people universities are about academia, not an expensive ordeal to be endured just for the purposes for getting a job.
Reply 15
Pink Bullets
Errr... so whatever happened to "This is not about cramming 3 years work into 2 years but cutting the degree content."?

Changing your tune? Because what you're suggesting now IS cramming 3 years' work into fewer years.

You can do both, one does not exclude the other.
Maker
You can do both, one does not exclude the other.

But my point was in response to your point about reducing the content of degrees.

Cramming degrees into shorter lengths of time is another topic entirely and not relevant to your original post.
Reply 17
Tefhel
What about languages? Languages are arts degrees which provide you with practical skills that may often be used in the work place and certainly aren't something you could cram into 2 years when 4 is required.

I think you are forgetting that for many people universities are about academia, not an expensive ordeal to be endured just for the purposes for getting a job.

I don't think it takes 3 or 4 years to learn a language, unless you are not very bright. Actualy, the best way to learn a language is to live in the country where its spoken or better still, be sent to prison in that country. You get to learn "pass the soap" in whatever language they speak in the prison very quickly.

If people want to experience academia, they can do it over a life time by getting higher degrees and working in it.
Reply 18
Pink Bullets
But my point was in response to your point about reducing the content of degrees.

Cramming degrees into shorter lengths of time is another topic entirely and not relevant to your original post.

I can make any changes I like, its not up to you to tell people what they can and cannot say.

You seem to be very inflexible in your thinking. I hope you are not doing philosophy.
You could simply cut all subsidies for arts degrees. And then, since they don't need them, cut all subsidies for maths, science, engineering, medicine etc. too.

Latest

Trending

Trending