The Student Room Group

Glasgow School of Art vs Newcastle University

I have offers to both the Glasgow School of Art for the Painting program and Newcastle University in the fine arts program. I am torn!

I was wondering about the facilities / studios in these? Im an international student and I really do not want to make the wrong choice and get the uni and be regretful.

Newcastle is an honours program where theres an option to write a dissertation and has a lot of excellent art history courses but GSA has its own prestigious reputation.

I have read in recent years the GSA has been going down in terms of overcrowding and lack of teacher support, but its been hard to find enough information on this. (Ie: I read an article written a few years ago about student protests outside of the GSA.)

Would love to hear from anyone who is going to either programs, or have applied to, or anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply 1
If you have had the chance I would say just go with what city you enjoy more! Glasgow maybe has a tiny bit more to offer since its a bigger city, but newcastle is also a really great place although I don't know much about the art degrees there. Also the degree in glasgow is an honours too and you will be required to write a dissertation for that and there is art history research required as part of the degree in glasgow too.

If you pick glasgow feel free to say hi in september as I have an offer for painting!
Reply 2
Original post by artstuff
I have offers to both the Glasgow School of Art for the Painting program and Newcastle University in the fine arts program. I am torn!

I was wondering about the facilities / studios in these? Im an international student and I really do not want to make the wrong choice and get the uni and be regretful.

Newcastle is an honours program where theres an option to write a dissertation and has a lot of excellent art history courses but GSA has its own prestigious reputation.

I have read in recent years the GSA has been going down in terms of overcrowding and lack of teacher support, but its been hard to find enough information on this. (Ie: I read an article written a few years ago about student protests outside of the GSA.)

Would love to hear from anyone who is going to either programs, or have applied to, or anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!
Hiya I know it's been a while but could u tell me which one you chose and if you think it was the right choice - I have the same decision and I'm really really torn! GSA seems like a really good course with a great reputation, but Newcastle's course looks possibly even better, more art history focused, but with a bit less of a reputation. I don't know how important the reputation of your degree really, and even if Newcastle is much further below GSA anymore, in becoming a successful artist.
Original post by v3nit
Hiya I know it's been a while but could u tell me which one you chose and if you think it was the right choice - I have the same decision and I'm really really torn! GSA seems like a really good course with a great reputation, but Newcastle's course looks possibly even better, more art history focused, but with a bit less of a reputation. I don't know how important the reputation of your degree really, and even if Newcastle is much further below GSA anymore, in becoming a successful artist.
hiiii not rlly related to making ur decision but i've got an offer from newcastle for fine art too !!
Reply 4
Good luck with the decision making! I have been told I have an offer post interview but it hasn’t come through yet on ucas and I’ve been waiting over 2 weeks could you share what grades your offer is please? Thanks!!
Original post by chaz2022
Good luck with the decision making! I have been told I have an offer post interview but it hasn’t come through yet on ucas and I’ve been waiting over 2 weeks could you share what grades your offer is please? Thanks!!
if ur speaking about newcastle im the same! i've had an email through to say ive got an offer but ive not got it on ucas yet, im wondering what grades its gonna beeeee
Reply 6
Original post by 17williamsne
if ur speaking about newcastle im the same! i've had an email through to say ive got an offer but ive not got it on ucas yet, im wondering what grades its gonna beeeee
Yes same here - congrats on the offer but would be good to know the grades as they are all the same so far!!!
Yes same here - congrats on the offer but would be good to know the grades as they are all the same so far!!!
is newcastle ur first choice?
Reply 8
congrats on the offers both of you! I have a fine art interview with newcastle this thursday, how did both your interviews go? and what type of questions did they ask? well done for your offers again!!
Original post by arla1234
congrats on the offers both of you! I have a fine art interview with newcastle this thursday, how did both your interviews go? and what type of questions did they ask? well done for your offers again!!
it was a very casual chat ngl, i was really nervous going in but after the first question i felt very relaxed. they mainly asked me questions about my portfolio and my influences, but also asked me a few questions about working collaboratively, things mentioned in my personal statement and what i'd like to create in the future, good luck!!
Yes exactly same here - a general relaxed chat - good luck!!!
it was a very casual chat ngl, i was really nervous going in but after the first question i felt very relaxed. they mainly asked me questions about my portfolio and my influences, but also asked me a few questions about working collaboratively, things mentioned in my personal statement and what i'd like to create in the future, good luck!!
thank you!!
I'm in the same situation, I got my email on the 16th February saying I got an offer. I called the admissions teams 2 days ago they said that they had some technical difficulties but it has been resolved so the offers should be on UCAS in 1-2 days
I’ve had my offer :smile:
I’ve had my offer :smile:
hopefully mine comes through soon! i got the email saying i had an offer on the 1st of march so
hopefully mine comes through soon! i got the email saying i had an offer on the 1st of march so
It should be imminent! Fingers crossed for you! My offer was ABB (straight from a levels) in case that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest