The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HTale
Lets all just entertain his ultimate desire in this thread:

"Tonight Matthew", York is THE best university out of the three. Everyone, York is the best one out of the list, hands down, without a shadow of a doubt. It even rivals Oxbridge in many departments, its bookish atmosphere is fantastic etc. etc.

There. I hope that made your day.

If you actually read the thread, you'll see I'm not touting York to any degree. Can you actually answer my question (if you're applying for "biology and sciences" (is this just "Biological sciences"?), then why Kings, and more to the point, why "Kings easily"?), or are you just going to stick to facetious *******s?

I would have asked the same question even if York wasn't involved.
Reply 41
Tonight Matthew
If you actually read the thread, you'll see I'm not touting York to any degree. Can you actually answer my question (if you're applying for "biology and sciences" (is this just "Biological sciences"?), then why Kings, and more to the point, why "Kings easily"?), or are you just going to stick to facetious *******s?

I would have asked the same question even if York wasn't involved.

I wasnt the author of the thread in question.
You quoted my post:
Tonight Matthew
Ummm.. firstly, if you're applying for "biology and sciences" (is this just "Biological sciences"?), then why Kings, and more to the point, why "Kings easily"?

and then said:
HTale
Lets all just entertain his ultimate desire in this thread:

"Tonight Matthew", York is THE best university out of the three. Everyone, York is the best one out of the list, hands down, without a shadow of a doubt. It even rivals Oxbridge in many departments, its bookish atmosphere is fantastic etc. etc.

There. I hope that made your day.

So, unless you just like quoting random posts and then making totally unrelated comments about them below, presumably you think I said something bias to York? Whether you're the OP or not is totally irrelevant. Explain how what I said gave you any reason to believe that my ultimate desire in this thread is to gain such an admission as "York is THE best university out of the three", or be silent.
Reply 43
Tonight Matthew
You quoted my post:

and then said:

So, unless you just like quoting random posts and then making totally unrelated comments about them below, presumably you think I said something bias to York? Whether you're the OP or not is totally irrelevant. Explain how what I said gave you any reason to believe that my ultimate desire in this thread is to gain such an admission as "York is THE best university out of the three", or be silent.

The fact that you questioned the authors judgement about KCL "easily" being the best uni to go to.
Reply 44
i think he is just curious as to why is KIngs being chosen...
Reply 45
HTale
The fact that you questioned the authors judgement about KCL "easily" being the best uni to go to.

May I just add to that, that you can only be questioning his/her judgement if you feel strongly that KCL is not better than York or Durham. As a logical consequence of the fact that you're about to attend York, your only intention is to make sure that York is conveyed in the best possible light in this thread.
HTale

And what's wrong with that? If you consider that for Biological sciences, York is rated 6th, Durham 8th, whilst Kings isn't even in the top 20, how exactly does me disputing that Kings is ("easily") the best university to go to for this subject mean that my ultimate desire is for everyone to say York is the best university of the three?
HTale
May I just add to that, that you can only be questioning his/her judgement if you feel strongly that KCL is not better than York or Durham. As a logical consequence of the fact that you're about to attend York, your only intention is to make sure that York is conveyed in the best possible light in this thread.

No, I really don't care how York is conveyed. It's obviously not for some people, where as others will love it. Same for Durham and Kings. I was just disputing that for Biological sciences, Kings is easily the best choice. As questionnable as league tables are, there's no proof of any variety to back up such a statement.

My concern isn't that York is portrayed as the best. My concern is that people qualify comments they make when giving advice, particularly when the comments seem to be somewhat dubious. Hence why I asked the question I originally did. Okay?
Reply 48
Hey HTale i realsie that you are gg to King this sept.Care to explain why did u choose King?Coz actually i thought that King are more famous n well known for their biz releated course as compare to bio/life science stuff...
Reply 49
Tonight Matthew
No, I really don't care how York is conveyed. It's obviously not for some people, where as others will love it. Same for Durham and Kings. I was just disputing that for Biological sciences, Kings is easily the best choice. As questionnable as league tables are, there's no proof of any variety to back up such a statement.

My concern isn't that York is portrayed as the best. My concern is that people qualify comments they make when giving advice.

Well, according to the league tables, the standings are as follows...

1) York

2) Durham

3) Kings

...according to the Times

But as far as "reputation" goes in that field, I think the author has a point. Afterall, KCL had a major input in the discovery of DNA.
Reply 50
clouds
Hey HTale i realsie that you are gg to King this sept.Care to explain why did u choose King?Coz actually i thought that King are more famous n well known for their biz releated course as compare to bio/life science stuff...

I applied to do medicine, but then realised that it wasnt the course for me. So I applied via UCAS Extra to KCL for a place to study Maths. However, I have to say, that there were other red brick universities on offer. UCL, Bristol and Bath had places, but I chose KCL primarily because I thought the course looked better.
Reply 51
wow u actually give up medicine to do maths!That's the first time i heard of someone doing that!
HTale
Well, according to the league tables, the standings are as follows...

1) York

2) Durham

3) Kings

...according to the Times

But as far as "reputation" goes in that field, I think the author has a point. Afterall, KCL had a major input in the discovery of DNA.

Irrespective, surely you agree with me that saying that Kings is easily the best for Biological sciences isn't such a foolproof statement that it doesn't even warrant being questioned? That is, after all, all I was doing.
BLUREMI
KCL for me but it depends on the subject. According to the Guardian rankings KCL is 6th, York is 8th and Durham is 24th, but rankings arnt very accurate

Also you need to check out subject rankings on the times website as the position of these universities (rank wise) could change with a specific subject.
Reply 54
HTale
your only intention is to make sure that York is conveyed in the best possible light in this thread.

Surely that's what you're doing but with KCL?
Reply 55
Jump
Surely that's what you're doing but with KCL?

Not really. Which logic train did you take?
Reply 56
clouds
wow u actually give up medicine to do maths!That's the first time i heard of someone doing that!

Yep, but I know many people who have changed their minds before commiting themselves to any choices. I was perhaps the only one stubborn enough to not listen to my heart.
Reply 57
HTale

Claiming Kings superiority without justification. If that's a train?
HTale

Perhaps a similar one you were on when translating a perfectly reasonable question about a comment into a desire to have everyone admit that York is the best out of the three universities?
Reply 59
Jump
Claiming Kings superiority without justification. If that's a train?

When did I do that? LOL

Latest

Trending

Trending