The Student Room Group

Global Economics F585 how confident are people with this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
MCYan
So you shift AS to the right yeah? In theory

well it all depends on what they spend the money on tbh, I think they did give the money to businesses so i guess ye you would shift supply to the right
Thank you for uploading the toolkit!
Reply 182
thank you robofish! are there any good effcts of having discretionary budget deficit?
Reply 183
MCYan
thank you robofish! are there any good effcts of having discretionary budget deficit?

It supposedly leads to short-run economic growth.

Robofish
x

Just a point - the Bank of England's quantitative easing programme does not result in higher levels of debt since it's money that the central bank's created out of thin air.
Reply 184
Bax-man

Just a point - the Bank of England's quantitative easing programme does not result in higher levels of debt since it's money that the central bank's created out of thin air.

How short-run? In what ways?
Reply 185
Bax-man

well QE is where BoE buy back government bonds from the private sector, so you could say where they get money from so ye
Reply 186
MCYan
How short-run? In what ways?

Short run as in increase aggregate demand. (Are you aware of the distinction between short-run and long-run economic growth?)

It causes an increase in aggregate demand in the same way any fiscal deficit is supposed to.
Reply 187
Consider this question from tutor2u. 'Discuss the extent to which a recession on the supply-side of the economy is crucial in determining the sustainability of a demand-led recovery' Godd I stared at the question for 5 minutes, and had not much ideas apart from demand-led and supply-side points.
Reply 188
Robofish
well QE is where BoE buy back government bonds from the private sector, so you could say where they get money from so ye

The Bank of England gets the money to purchase government and corporate gilts through a few clicks on a computer screen. The problem isn't one of debt, but inflation.
Reply 189
MCYan
Consider this question from tutor2u. 'Discuss the extent to which a recession on the supply-side of the economy is crucial in determining the sustainability of a demand-led recovery' Godd I stared at the question for 5 minutes, and had not much ideas apart from demand-led and supply-side points.

If there is a contraction in the long-run aggregate supply curve, what will an increase in aggregate demand eventually 'hit'?
Reply 190
What are the limitations of Interest rate policy when in recession? Isn't it just montary policy I think..
Reply 191
I think the 20marker is going to be on the last extract and related to China?

I like how China is aiming to invest in low-carbon technology/renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
Reply 192
what is sterling's effective exchange rate index? I think just comparisons with other currencies? Not sure
Amit92
I think the 20marker is going to be on the last extract and related to China?

I like how China is aiming to invest in low-carbon technology/renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on fossil fuels.

Yeh, I like how china are thinking as well. China are very smart- they see the potential in the renewable energy market. That way, they get growth in an up & coming industry and also increase their green credentials. China are beginning to see the impact pollution i s having on their own economy.

can someone explain Quantitative Easing in baby language please. I don't fully understand it. I know that it, in effect, injects money into the banking system by the BoE buying back governement bonds/gilts. That's all, but dont know what exactly bonds are. If BoE buy bonds, that is money out of the BoE isn't it? This is where i get lost, and would be difficult if i had to explain it in an exam question. :s-smilie: Please can someone explain step-by-step how it works and what exactly bonds are. Would be appreciated. Thanks. :wink:
Reply 194
As far as I'm aware, the government buys back the bonds, givng the banks more money that they are able to lend, effectively 'creating' money in the economy.

As this is very likely to come up, could we have some model 4 mark answers for,

a) explain the roles of the IMF (Unlikely as in mock)
b) explain the roles of the WTO
c) explain the roles of the ECB

I think it would be helpful for everyone if someone could outline the key points of these.
Reply 195
Max_Kirby
As far as I'm aware, the government buys back the bonds, givng the banks more money that they are able to lend, effectively 'creating' money in the economy.

As this is very likely to come up, could we have some model 4 mark answers for,

a) explain the roles of the IMF (Unlikely as in mock)
b) explain the roles of the WTO
c) explain the roles of the ECB

I think it would be helpful for everyone if someone could outline the key points of these.

What mock you had? Or just you teacher made up qeustions.
Roles of ECB?
Task is to maintain price stability, it is the ultimate guardian of the role of value of the money. According to ECB website. But it involves wider activities, it defines and conducts monetary policies within the Euro area, trasaction between the banks can be done swiftly and easily
Reply 196
MCYan
What mock you had? Or just you teacher made up qeustions.
Roles of ECB?
Task is to maintain price stability, it is the ultimate guardian of the role of value of the money. According to ECB website. But it involves wider activities, it defines and conducts monetary policies within the Euro area, trasaction between the banks can be done swiftly and easily

I presume he means the specimen paper/Jan's paper?
The WTO was in the specimen.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/assess_mat/ocr_7828_sam_gce_f585.pdf
IMF was in January 2010 paper.

All the extracts do link to these organisations, so it's best just to understand it and memorise it. Yup primarily what the ECB does is what you have stated, good old price stability. :3
Reply 197
Oh yeah. I'm getting confused with all these papers. Cheers
Reply 198
can someone go through the national, regional and international policies to promote development/ sustainability pleaseeee
Reply 199
I've got 3 days to cram for this, bring it on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending