The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Geography Geographical Debates | [12th June 2023] Exam Chat

Poll

How did your OCR A-level Geography Paper 3 exam go today?

OCR A-Level Geography Geographical Debates | 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 12th June 2023 PM
Length: 2h30m

Link to Study Group:
A-Level Geography Study Group 2022-2023
Congratulations on finishing your exam
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hii is there a link to the other 2 exam chat for ocr geog (paper 1 and 2)
Original post by dishu330

Oh yes! I made them alongside this one. Tag me so I can provide you a link to the directory that have all the exam threads (I’m on phone so it’s just difficult).
Original post by dishu330

Here's the link to the A-Level Directory, scroll down slightly on the first post and click Geography - you'll find the exam chats for OCR Geography papers 1, 2 and 3 there: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7324695
Any predictions for hazards and diseases?
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 5
climate change and future of food 33 maker predictions?
Reply 6
for hazards, I have a feeling that one of the 33 markers will be on volcano hazards, because a lot of the questions in the past have focused on earthquake hazards
Original post by annagonzelos
Any predictions for hazards and diseases?
Anybody have any examples of 12/12 synoptic questions?
Reply 8
Original post by cerysjones1000

I have one for Disease Dilemmas x CSMP. Might have another for a different topic but will need to check.
Reply 9
Original post by cerysjones1000

Here’s the Disease Dilemmas one:

Examine how disease can affect representations of place. [12]

Disease can negatively affect representations of place due to the connotations of risk and danger that is created in areas of high morbidity or areas where a disease originates. An example of this could be the impact of COVID-19, of which its origin city Wuhan was largely unknown until the outbreak occurred. Now, because of informal representations like news coverage, photography, and films such as Borat 2, Wuhan has the disease permanently attached to it, and ideas of the outbreak being on purpose, or a hoax have been encouraged with a line from the song “Wuhan Flu” in Borat 2 claiming it to be a “liberal hoax”. The perpetuated ideas surrounding the origin of the Coronavirus as well as the fear of illness and disease diffusion has meant that Wuhan, and China’s image has been tainted on a global stage as people form prejudices against the Chinese and people of Wuhan. If the disease was of a smaller scale, it’s possible that Wuhan would not have such a negative representation of place, but as it infringed on the everyday lives of people on a global scale, the negative ideas are spread much faster. Therefore, disease like COVID-19 can affect representations of place negatively due to the connotations of illness and the impacts of disease diffusion.

Alternatively, disease can affect representations of place by presenting it as a place in need, evoking sympathy from others. An example of this could be Ethiopia which has been facing decades of famine and in turn malnourishment, where the highest morbidity and mortality rates lie within women and children. As a result of informal representations of Ethiopia, such as advertisements by NGOs, social media posts and YouTube videos about volunteering, and music like “Do they know it’s Christmas?” by the Band Aid charity, many people think of Ethiopia with sympathy as they associate the country with suffering children, and ideas of innocence being lost by the children compel people to become defensive of the country. Without this widespread famine in Ethiopia, it’s possible that it could have been largely ignored in aid efforts for other needs such as its AIDS epidemic or sanitation crisis. Therefore, disease like malnourishment can affect representations of place by causing sympathetic and altruistic attitudes towards the country, due to the demographics most affected.
Reply 10
I suck at Paper 3 so much, any help would be appreciated. Especially for the 12 and 33 mark questions.
Reply 11
Original post by NightCap
I suck at Paper 3 so much, any help would be appreciated. Especially for the 12 and 33 mark questions.

What topics do you do and what do you need help with specifically? Paper 3 is my favourite :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by katie2675
What topics do you do and what do you need help with specifically? Paper 3 is my favourite :smile:

I do Hazardous Earth and Climate Change. I feel like there's far too much content to know, unless it's mainly case studies that are needed for the 33 markers. And I don't really know how to answer those well either.
Reply 13

You are nuts, I like paper 3 but it is not my favourite.

I do oceans and climate change.
Reply 14
Original post by tmcm
You are nuts, I like paper 3 but it is not my favourite.

I do oceans and climate change.

Maybe possibly haha, and sadly we don’t do the same topics I do disease dilemmas and hazardous earth :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by NightCap
I do Hazardous Earth and Climate Change. I feel like there's far too much content to know, unless it's mainly case studies that are needed for the 33 markers. And I don't really know how to answer those well either.

I do hazardous earth too! My main advice would be to focus on those case studies and then try to learn extra about each aspect involved. If you try to teach yourself the wider content through all the case studies it tends to stick better I find personally, however hazardous earth is my worse of my two topics so I can’t be too proud lol.
Reply 16
I also do Disease and Hazards! I'm definitely more confident with Disease, but I suck at hazards mostly because the way our teacher taught us it was really vague.
Maybe possibly haha, and sadly we don’t do the same topics I do disease dilemmas and hazardous earth :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by driaz
I also do Disease and Hazards! I'm definitely more confident with Disease, but I suck at hazards mostly because the way our teacher taught us it was really vague.

I feel similarly but I’m coping okay because of doing a hazards topic at GCSE it’s propped me up a little😂 I enjoy disease though and you can tell with my human geog teacher that it’s one of their preferred topics so it’s so much easier to learn from them!
Reply 18
Yes! My human geog teacher is also part of the reason why I perform much stronger in human, he is great!
I feel similarly but I’m coping okay because of doing a hazards topic at GCSE it’s propped me up a little😂 I enjoy disease though and you can tell with my human geog teacher that it’s one of their preferred topics so it’s so much easier to learn from them!
Reply 19
I do hazardous earth too! My main advice would be to focus on those case studies and then try to learn extra about each aspect involved. If you try to teach yourself the wider content through all the case studies it tends to stick better I find personally, however hazardous earth is my worse of my two topics so I can’t be too proud lol.

Hi, what case studies do you do for 4a: There are a range of impacts people experience as a result of volcanic eruptions? The textbook doesn't seem to follow the spec points well enough, at least in terms of poli/env/econ impacts. Do you have any notes you can share? I suppose the volcano modification case studies could be used, e.g. Italy suffer relatively minor eocnomic impacts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending