The Student Room Group

Global Economics F585 how confident are people with this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Cyclical deficit is when the deficit is caused by the automatic stabilizers (tax revenue falling and benefits rising).

Structural deficit is deficit caused by the government decision to spend in excess of its revenue.
Reply 381
kateibbo
Can someone explain what dumping means? Thanks x

and also to add..... usually selling in foreigh markets at below profit making or even selling at prices lower than production costs. Normally old stock to developing countries to dispose of or (dump) instead. Kind of a global boot sale :biggrin:
Reply 382
A point im stuck on to do with fixed and floating exchange rates, is why countries choose to have a fixed exchange rate in the first place, i dont see any benifit? can someone help?
Do they even choose their type?
Anaruko
A point im stuck on to do with fixed and floating exchange rates, is why countries choose to have a fixed exchange rate in the first place, i dont see any benifit? can someone help?

not affected by speculation, govt can set targets, not affected by recession
Reply 384
I need to sleep T__T

But I feel like I'm missing something, though I tried to revise everything from the toolkits.

We should chat a little tomorrow morning lol.
Reply 385
AffyWaffles
not affected by speculation, govt can set targets, not affected by recession

ty :biggrin: im not going to bed untill i am at least half confident lol.... :eek3:
Anaruko
ty :biggrin: im not going to bed untill i am at least half confident lol.... :eek3:

hahaha if i was to do that, then i wouldnt sleep, i dont know much, but really hoping what you said bout the intro is true, cause i know that stuff!!
gonna go sleep like 1-2ish wake up at 6 :frown: but then come home sleep watch football then head on out, my last exam this is wooop :biggrin:
Reply 387
You won't be the only one nervous, trust me :P
Reply 388
AffyWaffles
hahaha if i was to do that, then i wouldnt sleep, i dont know much, but really hoping what you said bout the intro is true, cause i know that stuff!!
gonna go sleep like 1-2ish wake up at 6 :frown: but then come home sleep watch football then head on out, my last exam this is wooop :biggrin:

DITTO :biggrin: except i get little bit more sleep. 8 im getting up as i live opposite my sixth form :smile:
Good luck to you guys tomorrow! Hopefully the grade boudaries will be as low as they were In Jan
Reply 390
same to you, fingers crossed!
Does anyone think measures of sustainable growth will be on it? Like the ISEW and stuff?
Reply 392
impossible!
Does anyone think measures of sustainable growth will be on it? Like the ISEW and stuff?

almost definately yes.
My teacher thinks the last question will be: Discuss the success of state intervention in promoting sustainable economic growth. So if he's right (which he says he normally is) you might need to check it out. But think its more about what's already in the extract for you, so just talk about subsidies (on bio-fuels), regulation and carbon tax or ETS etc...
Anaruko

Governments may opt to establish a fixed exchange rate for a number of reasons, the benefits being:
- Ability to artificialy peg exchange rate below global market equilibrium in order to increase International Price Competitiveness and therefore bolster exports, leading to an increase in economic growth and a current account improvement.
-Eastern European countries fixed against Euro - potential to join European Monetary Union as it complies with criteria for joining, following the Euro's exchange rate.
Reply 395
im still stuck on the whole fixed/ float exchange rate, can someone just post the brief advantages and dis advantages of each type please. Cant get my head around them, and the APT toolkit doesnt really give any clear indications, just waffles on about the countries.
Reply 396
SayonaraSamm
Governments may opt to establish a fixed exchange rate for a number of reasons, the benefits being:
- Ability to artificialy peg exchange rate below global market equilibrium in order to increase International Price Competitiveness and therefore bolster exports, leading to an increase in economic growth and a current account improvement.
-Eastern European countries fixed against Euro - potential to join European Monetary Union as it complies with criteria for joining, following the Euro's exchange rate.

ah ty ok :smile:
whats the difference between economic growth and economic development?
Reply 398
What exactly is carbon pricing? is it the same as a tradable permit/emissions trading system? Any help appreciated.
Reply 399
lilac55
What exactly is carbon pricing? is it the same as a tradable permit/emissions trading system? Any help appreciated.

carbon pricing is as it sounds, putting a price on carbon. This can be in forms of tax i.e the fuel tax, which directly makes the polluter pay.
Trading schemes also are a form of carbon pricing, making the costs real to businesses and in return those who are carbon friendly are rewarded with lower production costs.
And finally permits. which can be bought and sold on auctions. However permits usually are bought up by large firms making it hard for new/smaller firms to compete. as the costs of the permits are easily absorbed by the massive industries.

All three have the dissadvantage however of making carbon seem alright or legalised, if the company or consumer pay for it. Which is wrong because we are trying to stop carbon not just use it to gain revenue.

hope that helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending