The Student Room Group

Global Economics F585 how confident are people with this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
MCYan
Thank you. Yes it was Jan transport, you are glad you have this out of the way! What questions did you do for section B if you can remember? :smile:

I did the question on monopolies.
Reply 81
Bax-man
I did the question on monopolies.

thats prob the hardest section!
MCYan
Guys, what is a national road pricing scheme? Has it been stopped since Conversative comes in? Don't think I've ever learnt it before. :s-smilie:

As the name implies, it is a system whereby road users are charged according to the roads they use, the time of day, levels of congestion, type of vehicle etc. The national Road pricing system was recommended mainly by Sir Rod Eddington in his report for the Labour government. The government decided to go ahead with his recommendations on road pricing, but there was a significant amount of opposition to the proposals, and a petition was filed against national road pricing. Eventually, the government backed down from it and abandoned it. However, they did say that the decision to charge users for roads was to be decided by local authorities, rather than imposing it nationally.

This is what I've revised the other day. National road pricing is different to other road user charging such as the London congestion charge, because that is only restricted to a certain area, and is not operating nationally.

btw, what did u guys get for your Transport paper in Jan? I got a D :frown: 58/100. If i got a high D grade, i would of got an A grade overall for economics - just short by three marks.
Reply 83
MCYan
thats prob the hardest section!

Perhaps, but everyone in my class did that question without exception. I think it's easier to write about at length than the other two options.

hmiah
btw, what did u guys get for your Transport paper in Jan?

Hi, everyone. I'm resitting this exam because I got glandular fever in october/november so missed a lot of school and consequently got a D on this.. From reading this thread I see a lot of talk of kits and stuff and people offering to send them etc. Just wondering what these kits contain and if I could be sent one of they are of any use. Would be greatly appreciated :smile:, James.
Bax-man
Perhaps, but everyone in my class did that question without exception. I think it's easier to write about at length than the other two options.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 95!

what did u write? was it lengthy?

Also, was thinking about the transport paper exams -Does the question on monopolies/oligopolies come all in one question or is it/ can it be mixed with a question on transport policy/coba etc? e.g part a is market structure, part b is transport policy?

If they are in separate questions, then i might as well focus on studying the market structures, since i find that the easiest.
Reply 86
hmiah
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 95!

what did u write? was it lengthy?

Also, was thinking about the transport paper exams -Does the question on monopolies/oligopolies come all in one question or is it/ can it be mixed with a question on transport policy/coba etc? e.g part a is market structure, part b is transport policy?

If they are in separate questions, then i might as well focus on studying the market structures, since i find that the easiest.

The essay questions were several pages in length, and fairly comprehensive for an A2 exam. My weakness was that my evaluation was not necessarily as thorough as might be ideal, and my conclusion fairly weak.

I suppose it's possible the situation you describe could occur - for instance, question 'a' could ask you, 'how far might rail transport be considered a natural monopoly' and a part 'b' focus on rail policy. I think it's more unlikely than more clearly defined questions, but not entirely inconceivable. Having said that, it's been a while since I sat the paper.
Reply 87
Transport sounds boring :smile:
does anyone have any idea how the essay question, if it is about sustainability, will be phrased? I can't imagine how they will phrase it and im sure at least one question will be about sustainability, the last extract is too long and unrelated to the others for them to not relate any questions to it.
Reply 89
they'll probably be like discuss the varying policies to persue to sustainable growth
Reply 90
what policies would you talk about then?
Reply 91
regulation, carbon pricing, subsidies but by the far best is permits
Reply 92
Robofish

Is carbon pricing tradable permit??
Reply 93
Robofish

Reply 94
MCYan

carbon pricing is basically taxing firms on the level of their emissions
Reply 95
Robofish
carbon pricing is basically taxing firms on the level of their emissions

Oh right, I got mixed up between them. I don't think we've never learnt it before, learnt tradable permit at AS. How could you evaluate for carbon pricing though? Is it like a part of regulation - similar?
Reply 96
MCYan
Oh right, I got mixed up between them. I don't think we've never learnt it before, learnt tradable permit at AS. How could you evaluate for carbon pricing though? Is it like a part of regulation - similar?

To evaluate carbon pricing:
- it's difficult to accurately measure the level of CO2 emissions
- should the same price apply to all economies? Even developing ones who may struggle to grow whilst paying these prices
- what should the optimal price be?
- will it limit economic growth?
Reply 97
Adam92
To evaluate carbon pricing:
- it's difficult to accurately measure the level of CO2 emissions
- should the same price apply to all economies? Even developing ones who may struggle to grow whilst paying these prices
- what should the optimal price be?
- will it limit economic growth?

Thank you, the name carbon pricing is pretty much self-explanatory really.
Reply 98
its basically like evaluating the effectiveness of a tax
so does everyone think sustainablity will be the essay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending