The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
if u have friends and the night is good then probz the money spent is good
Reply 81
so many different views
how much do you guys spend on proms? our prom (actaully called the ball) is like 12quid for a ticket to cover food and stuff lol, what else IS there you have to pay for?
Reply 83
Well depends how much you spend on it
I loved the prom i had in year 11 (it was on a boat) and it was ******* fantastic! :biggrin:...end of year prom was also good too :awesome:

but i think its better if you go with good friends of yours because it makes the experience better
Prom is ridiculously expensive and overrated.

I spent £120 quid on a dres..........which i'll never wear again.
About £20 on accessories.
I believe it was £15 for a ticket.
And I chipped in £20 for the limo.
So all in all, it came to £175 and it was a **** night.

My year group was full of chavs. Absolutely horrible people they were. The dancefloor was the size of my bedroom (and I live in the box room).

The food was awful, no alcohol was allowed (obviously, bummer!). People snuck alcohol in, and got chucked out for being wasted. Everyone bitched about each other, it was just terrible. I don't see the attraction to it.

I'd of rather spent that £175 on a trip to somewhere like Alton Towers or something to celebrate with select friends rather than a ****** night with the school.
Reply 86
AAfc
Well depends how much you spend on it

yep mine's in a few weeks and i have spent
260 on a suit but it can be used for formal parties aswell
£36 on a limo
£24 on the ticket
and pobably lots more on the night
and now i am thinking isit worth it even though my mum and dad are paying for everything:yep:
Reply 87
Oh well. its not your money. You might as well do your parents spending justice and have fun whilst your there
No! They're called debs here. The money spent is mental. In my school, almost everyone went on busses, brilliant fun, 3/4 busses, everyone locked. A few who got limos but in most schools, limos are much more common.

Tickets are €60 minimum, in some schools they are €150 for ONE.
The typical debs dress- puffy skirt meringue things or the sleek backless Jovani dresses- are €400
Getting your hair and make-up done, that's the guts of another €100
Lots of people get a spray tan- €25
Shoes- €70
Bag- €40ish
Limo- €50 per couple
Naggin for the bus or whatever- €6
Drink there- €60 at least, EVERYONE goes overboard.

It's crazy money. I for one spent €30 on my first debs dress, and €171 on the second (my own money). My sister did my hair and make-up both times. I spent €50 on a bag and €35 on shoes and wore them for both. No limos for me :smile:
Reply 89
Mine was, although I didn't actually spend much - £15 ticket, and about £65 for dress and shoes :smile:
No, no it's not. Mine was crap!
No my prom was crap. It's just a sort of necessary evil.
I haven't had my prom yet.
I didn't really want to go, but my mom told me I'd regret it if I didn't and tbf, she's right. I haven't spent much really.
£36 on the dress (it was reduced from £120 during Debenham's one day sale)
£14 for the shoes (supposed to be £25, but was also in the sale)
£20 for the ticket
My hair will be done free because I have vouchers
Transport is free because I live opposite the venue, so I'm walking
£25 make up
I think that if you have the money and have a lot of friends that are going, then it's worth it. If you don't really like dancing and you're just going because it's your prom, you could better spend the money somewhere else. I personally don't like dances but it as fun hanging out with friends before and after prom. Just don't go too crazy and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 94
No and neither are weddings. Like chandler said... i'd rather have the house in the suburbs with the big garden for the kids and a cat with a bell on its collar.
Reply 95
I really think they are to be honest to a certain extent however spending like over £1000 on a dress is just over the top. I had mine last night and it was amazing, watching everyone arrive, and just being there with all your friends makes it a really good night. Our tickets were only £25 so it wasn't too bad. I think i spend just under £400 on my whole outfit and I'm a guy lol.
Reply 96
Not one bit in my opinion.

It seems like a silly tradition imported here from the USA.
Well I didn't spend that much on it, so yeah, I guess so.
And I only went to the one at the end of school, I saw no point in the post GCSE one and didn't go.
vik94
hmmm???

I'm leaving my school at the end of this year so for me it was nice to see the whole year together for one last time!!

I saved up for ages:
dress £50
nails £14
limo £20

I already own my shoes, My mum is paying for my hair but it was a treat for me since I was working to pay for the rest (lots and lots of babysiting!)

Latest

Trending

Trending